Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The economy was in a downward spiral during carter.....Reaganomics turned it around into a growing economy.
LOL, the economy was recovering from the 1979 oil shock when Reagan intentionally induced a sharp recession by shocking the money supply and raising the federal funds rate to almost 20%. Yeah just great.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL, the economy was recovering from the 1979 oil shock when Reagan intentionally induced a sharp recession by shocking the money supply and raising the federal funds rate to almost 20%. Yeah just great.
No, it wasn't. The economy was still bad in 1979 and 1980. I remember the inflation rate in Nov., 1979 at 12.9%. It went up to 13% during 1980. Interest rates were over 20%. And the unemployment rate was in the 7% bracket.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
I gave up it's obvious the information provided is not understood.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it wasn't. The economy was still bad in 1979 and 1980. I remember the inflation rate in Nov., 1979 at 12.9%.
12.6%, actually, just about the same level it was at in November 1974 (12.2%) on the heels of the first Arab oil shock.

Quote:
It went up to 13% during 1980.
Over 14% for the first half of the year.

Quote:
Interest rates were over 20%.
The federal funds rate peaked at 19.10% in June 1981.

Quote:
And the unemployment rate was in the 7% bracket.
Unemployment was 7.5% when Carter took office, and 7.5% when he left. Except for a 7.6% in February 1977, it was was below that level for the entire Carter administration, as in the 5.6% rate that prevailed in May 1979. Things were much different after the Gipper got in. Rates soared to more than 10% from September 1982 through June 1983 as the US suffered through the second worst depression of the 20th century. It would be June 1984 before the 7.5% level could be bettered again...

Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I gave up it's obvious the information provided is not understood.
I understand the fact fine. The spin you seek to put on it is just being refuted.

The fact that inflation was high in 1981 is correct. So what? How does that matter to the question of fiscal conservatism. What more, how does that matter in Reagan's second term when inflation was well under control, but Reagan was still proposing budget busting budget?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I could not agree more! KevK is TOTALLY clueless about Haiti and its background and culture (Voodoo) - What is going on there now has NOTHING whatsoever with "conservative" or "liberal" - it has to do with HAITI KevK -
Hati is a conservative dream! Believe me if the cons here thought Voodoo might do a better job of population control than American Idol, sports and Chirstianity, it would be the dominant religion here too. Hati is totally 100% free market! Want to hire a man and pay him 25 cents a day? Go right ahead! Want to dump your garbage in the water, fine by us!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Let's call BS on this one too. I'm an atheist, so I have no horse in the race, but come on.

When is the last time a "Christian Fundamentalist" blew up a bus load of people in Jerusalem? When did a Christian terrorist put on a bomb belt and walk into a crowded market in Baghdad and explode it? Name all the Christian fundamentalists who flew planes into buildings. Name all the Christian fundamentalist governments around the world, and especially the ones who have sworn to destroy the west and the US. I could go on and on.

Sure, there have been some individual wackos taking shots at abortion doctors, but you cannot compare that with the massive record of terrorism perpetuated on the US, Israel, and the west since the 1960's by Arab and Muslim terrorist.
Christian "fundamentalist" bombed many abortion clinics, killed doctors, burned down the houses of nurses, blew up a federal office building in Oklahoma City, bombed gay nightclubs and the Olympics in Atlanta. I could go on but I won't. I do agree that, on the scale of things, the Muslims have alot more bloody messes on their hands but to me religious fundamentalism is the problem. Not a specific religion.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Christian "fundamentalist" bombed many abortion clinics, killed doctors, burned down the houses of nurses, blew up a federal office building in Oklahoma City, bombed gay nightclubs and the Olympics in Atlanta. I could go on but I won't. I do agree that, on the scale of things, the Muslims have alot more bloody messes on their hands but to me religious fundamentalism is the problem. Not a specific religion.
McVeigh and Rudolph were pyschos and linked to militia groups, but they were not religious fundamentalists. The comment made was that "Christian Fundamentalists = Muslim Fundamentalists" and I will say again that you cannot compare the two with any kind of equivalency. You do not see leaders in the Christian denominations stand up and tell their followers to bomb innocent people, and you don't see Christians put their religion above their national citizenship.

I don't excuse any psycho who kills anyone, but you cannot compare the two and be intellectually honest.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This is all you needed to say. Reagan was no fiscal conservative. He was the original "borrow and spend" republican.
You miss the point...as do so many. The President of the US has no power under the Constitution to appropriate or tax. The President submits his budget request to Congress for the Executive Branch, and they do what they want, sometimes giving the President what he asks for, but often not. The President can veto appropriations, but Congress can override his veto.

Any deficit spending or balancing of budgets is the sole proprietorship of the US Congress. If they had the political will and backbone to do the right thing, both Republicans and Democrats, we would not have the same budgetary mess we have now.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
McVeigh and Rudolph were pyschos and linked to militia groups, but they were not religious fundamentalists. The comment made was that "Christian Fundamentalists = Muslim Fundamentalists" and I will say again that you cannot compare the two with any kind of equivalency. You do not see leaders in the Christian denominations stand up and tell their followers to bomb innocent people, and you don't see Christians put their religion above their national citizenship.

I don't excuse any psycho who kills anyone, but you cannot compare the two and be intellectually honest.
I agree that Christian Fundamentalists does not equal Muslim Fundamentalists; although, I believe the people that are saying this are specifically thinking of radical pro life advocates that use bombs for their causes and thus appear to be similar in approach to radical Islamic Fundamentalists. However, they are few in number and not all are necessarily fundamentialist christians. However, I do have to disagree with your statement that "you don't see Christians put their religion above their national citizenship". A truly "saved" person that professes Jesus as Lord and Savior does indeed put this belief system above all things including national citizenship and family. The commandment "Thou shall have no other God before me" is not just about gods but anything that can seen as being placed above God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies