Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

LOL, what a loser. 48 year old and still living at home tells it all. Dad's question was $50K extra a year for doing nothing or make my cranky son happy. Easy answer to that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL, what a loser. 48 year old and still living at home tells it all. Dad's question was $50K extra a year for doing nothing or make my cranky son happy. Easy answer to that one.
Family farm - kids often stay on the farm with their families and kids -

Grow up richurch

Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Question to you: Would you want to listen to the sounds described 24/7?
Ah yeah, since I need to sleep w/a fan on at all times, that'd be totally convenient. Better than where I live now, near the airport.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Here's a dumb question-don't we have a desert? It's in the southwest right? It is probably not that inhabited. Does the wind blow there? What if we took all the land in the desert southwest and filled it with these wind turbines? Would it create enough electricity for the whole nation? Most of it? Then I'm all for this scenario.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
wouldn't solar be better in a desert?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Would it create enough electricity for the whole nation? Most of it? Then I'm all for this scenario.
The estimates that I've read are that given the technology today, solar could provide upwards of 20-25% of our country's electricity needs. That's assuming that huge solar power plants are built in the southwest and the power grid is upgraded to allow for better distribution.

Wind could supposedly generate up to 20% of our electricity needs. The rest is going to have to come from coal and nuclear (assuming natural gas ceases to be used for electricity generation. Hydro will be minimal.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
The estimates that I've read are that given the technology today, solar could provide upwards of 20-25% of our country's electricity needs. That's assuming that huge solar power plants are built in the southwest and the power grid is upgraded to allow for better distribution.

Wind could supposedly generate up to 20% of our electricity needs. The rest is going to have to come from coal and nuclear (assuming natural gas ceases to be used for electricity generation. Hydro will be minimal.
Even better, let's fill the desert southwest with solar, and the mountains with wind turbines-that's 45% or better of our electricity needs. Start taking our 200-400 years of coal and convert it to oil "for 10 years". Start on the prototype for natural gas/electric cars---Ahh that's right! Clean natural gas to kick the motor that will recharge the battery! Then in years to come as batteries get better I see 150-300 miles on one overnight charge. Let's say goodbye to oil. I still want gas around to fuel my muscle cars on the weekend though

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Then in years to come as batteries get better I see 150-300 miles on one overnight charge. Let's say goodbye to oil. I still want gas around to fuel my muscle cars on the weekend though
I drive cross country a lot - heck - we will do 600 miles just for a day trip. Unless, and until, a battery will last that long, gas cars will still be very, very much part of our lives.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
And I would have to ask is it worse than living near a train track listen to the rumble and the horn blowing can we stop all the trains ? what about the helicoptors that the hospitals and the police use should we try to stop those too? How about the homes built near or next to the freeways , should we stop the stater from building new freeways? I can go onm and on . At least with the windgenerators the farmers can still use the land below them , I haven't heard of any plants or crops complaining that they can't grow because of all the wosh , wosh Ha! Ha!.

Are any of those noises a constant? 24/7 trains, helicoptors, emergency vehicle sirens?

Its my feeling that the industry decieves people on the level of noise involved.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Few here have an accurate idea of the noise levels involved.

People tend to whine about anything they can. Sound pressure decreases greatly over distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies