Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
It is difficult but that is what separates parents from friends. We have the responsibility of being the bad guy sometimes. Although I'd be more worried about my son being drunk than texting (although in this case her parents won't ever get to worry again). It's a tough line to draw in the sand.
Tough, but necessary where the lives of our children are the stakes. I was lucky, my children are in their 30's and 40's so I didn't have to deal with wireless devices, but the rest of the "traps" made up th difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Quote:
You are right that they have heard about it but at 16 who really thinks maturely. I didn't think about the consequences and yes, I drank and drove in my little town just about every weekend from the time I got my license until I went to college. It was fun and I didn't look ahead to what might happen. I'm not proud of it but I won't lie about it. It's no different than teens who have sex and the girl winds up pregnant. They know what causes pregnancy but they don't stop and think about that. They do it b/c it's fun and that's that. Someone bought her the alcohol you know. There were some younger parents around when I was in HS and they bought it for us. I'd kill someone if they do that when my son is a teen. But we thought they were cool. It's amazing how quickly people can jump on their moral high horses like they've never done anything wrong. I'm glad I can be realistic.
As bad as getting pregnant as a teen is, it does not compare to being DEAD and possibly killing innocent bystanders. Sorry, I know kids do dumb stuff, but when it comes to doing things that endanger lives, that is where it ends to me. Parents and educators are responsible to teach their kids what the consequences are of behavior like this. There is simply NO excuse for driving drunk, IMO. If you are old enough to drive a deadly weapon, a car, then you are old enough to be held responsible for your actions. If people think this is not the case, we need to revisit the driving age.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
As bad as getting pregnant as a teen is, it does not compare to being DEAD and possibly killing innocent bystanders. Sorry, I know kids do dumb stuff, but when it comes to doing things that endanger lives, that is where it ends to me. Parents and educators are responsible to teach their kids what the consequences are of behavior like this. There is simply NO excuse for driving drunk, IMO. If you are old enough to drive a deadly weapon, a car, then you are old enough to be held responsible for your actions. If people think this is not the case, we need to revisit the driving age.
--------------
I agree no excuse for driving and drinking . No one has the right to put other's in danger .
I wish texting even cell phone use while driving was outlawed also in every state.

If you drove a COOPER in Miami you would agree lol .

Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
A personally subjective opinion that can not be validated is flawed logic when it is used to argue a position that requires validation. Logic is a process of validation and confirmation. I can not confirm your position because it is based on your "feelings". How you "feel" should never be factor in dictating to others. It is an invalid position, often emotional, and confusing.

Here are the facts of the issue. Using a cell phone and texting are distractions, yet if we look at the issue deeper, everything is a distraction and I listed many. For instance changing your radio station or messing with the air conditioner. Eating, drinking, grabbing something out of a bag, brushing or flossing your teeth, talking to another person be it in the front or back of the vehicle, being emotionally distracted, listening to the radio, day dreaming, looking for an exit or location, watching the GPS device, reading a map for directions, and the list goes on and on.

So answer this question. Should all of those be banned? What makes them valid distractions and the cell phone and texting not? What makes one more LOGICALLY valid over another? Use proper premise and support for your position. How you feel is irrelevant. Your opinoin is worthless in a situation like this, we aren't talking about which flavor of ice cream is better.

Now, if you pick and choose, you are being hypocritical, illogical, emotional and to be honest, silly. If you say all should be removed, then you support a nanny type of intrusion into everyones lives and if you are to be consistent, you must carry that so called reasoning over into everything that is similar in its design. That is, ultimately we must place everyone in a padded room so they can not harm themselves or others. To object to that is to claim you want to pick and choose peoples lives based on your feelings and please tell me how your feelings trump everyone who has opposite feelings to yours? Because you said so? So then we get back to that illogically formed position.

Let me guess, you are using your own special little meaning of freedom? Lets look at the definition of freedom.

I bolded the 2 most relevant to this situation. Telling people they can not use a cell phone or text while they are driving is removing ones freedom to choose, to take responsiblity on their own and be free of interference and regulation.

What you support is interference and regulation. I have used phones for many many years, never have been in an accident and know many many others who use them as needed for business and the like who also have never been in one. They are responsible people, use them with caution and as need. They make the choice, they take the responsiblity.

You want to interfere and regulate with a broad generalized stroke forcing EVERYONE to the restrictions of actions to which they are not a problem with. Your reasoning is that because there are irresponsible and inattentive people out there, we must force all to be regulated as if they were ALL that way. That is nothing short of oppressive action penalizing those who are not the problem.

You move to legislate out of your own personal bias and belief. You attempt to force everyone to serve your opinion. Your position is no different than that of an English lord who rationalizes the rape of a bride on her wedding day. It is emotional and self serving reasoning used all too often throughout history as justification for the greatest crimes against humanity and it all started with the removal of freedoms for the sake of good intentions. Hitler gathered people to his cause by using "claims of good intentions" and "for the safety and betterment of the people" as candy to draw in the adolescent minds. They were so eager to eat up out of their own personal desires, they cared little about stepping on others in the process.

You think it is reprehensible to defend freedoms and I think it is the same to claim they should be removed for your own personal benefit. It is nothing short of sickening.
my opinion are every bit as logical and valid as your "amusing" opinions, and I stand by my words.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
my opinion are every bit as logical and valid as your "amusing" opinions, and I stand by my words.

What, you're even paying attention to his long-winded and crankish nonsense?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
You are right that they have heard about it but at 16 who really thinks maturely. I didn't think about the consequences and yes, I drank and drove in my little town just about every weekend from the time I got my license until I went to college. It was fun and I didn't look ahead to what might happen. I'm not proud of it but I won't lie about it. It's no different than teens who have sex and the girl winds up pregnant. They know what causes pregnancy but they don't stop and think about that. They do it b/c it's fun and that's that. Someone bought her the alcohol you know. There were some younger parents around when I was in HS and they bought it for us. I'd kill someone if they do that when my son is a teen. But we thought they were cool. It's amazing how quickly people can jump on their moral high horses like they've never done anything wrong. I'm glad I can be realistic.
When I was 16 I had a motorcycle and I was stupid and I ran into the back of a fire engine and ended up with my leg in traction and pins sticking through it. And having to use a bed pan for almost 3 weeks. Not fun.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
In my opinion it is reprehensible to defend the use of cell phones and texting while driving. Yes, that is my opinion, and no it is not based on "flawed logic", as you are so fond of pointing out.

To take away the use of cell phones while driving, is not a loss of freedom, an inconvenience, yes...but not a loss of freedom, there is no freedom or right to use a cell phone and put another person at risk.
Isn't the car whats really putting them at risk?
Much more effective to just ban cars if its saftey you are concerned with.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
What, you're even paying attention to his long-winded and crankish nonsense?
Prove it. With all honesty, provide a valid supportive reason as to why my discussion is nonsense. Can you? Didn't think so. Better to attack the person so you can ignore the content? What... a... surprise!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Prove it. With all honesty, provide a valid supportive reason as to why my discussion is nonsense. Can you? Didn't think so. Better to attack the person so you can ignore the content? What... a... surprise!

I'm heading to the gym now before work. I am going to play twister while I drive.

With your reasoning that's fine . To say I must actually drive and nothing else is taking away "my rights".

All kidding aside (as you know need more than 1 to play Twister ) .

Texting isn't same as listening to radio. I also feel cell phones should be banned while driving treated same as DUI .

No one has a "right" to do anything but drive when in the car and drive safely.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When I was 16 I had a motorcycle and I was stupid and I ran into the back of a fire engine and ended up with my leg in traction and pins sticking through it. And having to use a bed pan for almost 3 weeks. Not fun.

There was a motorcycle accident few days ago SUV tapped a motorcycle at the light.

Here you don't have a helmet law and guy was thrown with no helmet . Imagine he wishes we had a helmet law .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies