U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
She was visiting a POW camp and one of the GI's tried to slip her a note saying who they were, so their families would know they were OK. The story goes that she ratted them out to the Viet Cong.
First I've heard of it. I'd chalk it up to urban legend unless I found confirmation.

The thing that got her in hot water (rightly so) was gleefully posing in one of the North Vietnamese anti-aircraft guns being used to shoot down American planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM

165 posts, read 281,097 times
LOL. Do you really believe that type of thing?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
LOL. Do you really believe that type of thing?
Why not???? look it up lots of vets claim it is true.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM

165 posts, read 281,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Why not???? look it up lots of vets claim it is true.
Must be true then. Sorry.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Hmmm. I heard a story, once. Perhaps you know if it's true.

She was visiting a POW camp and one of the GI's tried to slip her a note saying who they were, so their families would know they were OK. The story goes that she ratted them out to the Viet Cong.

I don't again, know if it's true. I would not repeat it without confirmation. But, if it is, count me in for the effigy burning squad.

I'd still have to go see her films, though. She's a great actress.
Dedalus
Snopes gives the "Hanoi Jane" tale multiple status.
http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp
I personally think she really blew it going over there in '72, but I certainly do not hate her for it.
Nea
I dunno about the Joshua Sparling thing. Now he seems to be a Pfc.
To me, the story does not quite add up, and is very sad on several levels.
Regardless, our country is going through a bad, bad time.
The cycle is complete, we are now about as polarized as we were back in '72.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,124,135 times
Quote:
Yeah, I heard from a friend of a friend who knew a guy who said it was true. So it must be right?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I didnt say it was true, I said many claim it to be, I just dont understand why people can dismiss it so easily, why because she is a movie star. She did some nasty things there, I wouldnt put it passed her. the story I heard was some prisoners of war were paraded in front of her, to show their wonderful treatment, she shook each hand and they passed little notes to her with their SS# on it, at the end she passed the notes to the captures and the men were beaten after she left. I heard it really happened, so the soldiers that were there claim.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Dedalus
Snopes gives the "Hanoi Jane" tale multiple status.
http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp
I personally think she really blew it going over there in '72, but I certainly do not hate her for it.
Nea
I dunno about the Joshua Sparling thing. Now he seems to be a Pfc.
To me, the story does not quite add up, and is very sad on several levels.
Regardless, our country is going through a bad, bad time.
The cycle is complete, we are now about as polarized as we were back in '72.
I just go with what my eyes and ears tell me, this is not to say that ALL were that way, but some were. Peaceful should mean peaceful.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
That statement about Jane Fonda is untrue - conversely, she brought messages home from GIs.

I wonder how many responding to this thread were of age during the Vietnam War. I was and although I supported it up until the 70s, I regret my support of the War, not the soldiers participating in it because the soldiers were my friends, my schoolmates, my neighbours--some now gone, others damaged emotionally, none without pain.

But, like this war in Iraq, we were mislead, and misinformed. In the 60s and 70s I probably listened to what public figures said and took much more of what the media stated at face value. Today, I question every single word that comes out of all their mouths. But not only do I question our elected officials, I question all the media.

Reporting something you see on Fox is as outrageous as quoting the NY Times--each has their bias, neither is totally even handled.

Jane Fonda realized the war was unjust; she fought for her principles; she never disdained or besmerched soldiers--however, the good press and media besmerched her so much that people did come to hate her. And the government made her life hell. Nothing she said or did influenced post-Vietnam policies. Her opinions were ought as far as the government was concerned.

Pity! Crossed posted with some - yes, we are polarized and what for!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I question all the media.

Reporting something you see on Fox is as outrageous as quoting the NY Times--each has their bias, neither is totally even handled.
Words of wisdom, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or