Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
-Amazon
-Microsoft
-Starbucks
-Boeing
-RealNetworks
-Weyerhauser
-Costco
-Washington Mutual
-Safeco
-t-mobile USA
-Alaska Airlines
-Eddie Bauer
-Adobe
-Airborne Express
-Infospace
-REI'
-Tully's
-Seattles Best
etc etc
kinda funny when that guy tried to compare mighty South Carolina to Washington State....best he could do is try to find funny names for the corporations...thats when I decided he wasnt worthy of my debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
washington state is right up there with a state like virginia. they both have 6 top 100 companies. both are much higher than average. texas and cali are tied with 13, and ny has 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
kinda funny when that guy tried to compare mighty South Carolina to Washington State....best he could do is try to find funny names for the corporations...thats when I decided he wasnt worthy of my debate.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
every time the united states is embarrassed in international test scoring, thank a union.
Not sure how test scores have anything to do with unions, help me out with this one.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM

the failure of teachers unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
Not sure how test scores have anything to do with unions, help me out with this one.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM

God forbid we hold parents accountable for their children, it must me the teacher's unions. We all know it's the school's responsibility to raise children. And successful education is limited to performance on standardized tests; please don't consider the country's success in in the scienctific research, business, athletics, social mobility, or the in any of the many other areas where the US is the standard. Let's disregard any other practical measurements because are test scores aren't up to snuff.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM

it's the parents job to raise the children, and the job of the schools to educate. the schools aren't educating because the teachers unions give bad teachers job security, and the schools are busy raising the kids too, and they shouldn't be.

Quote:
God forbid we hold parents accountable for their children, it must me the teacher's unions. We all know it's the school's responsibility to raise children. And successful education is limited to performance on standardized tests; please don't consider the country's success in in the scienctific research, business, athletics, social mobility, or the in any of the many other areas where the US is the standard. Let's disregard any other practical measurements because are test scores aren't up to snuff.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
It's not the school's responsibility to raise children, but it is their responsibility to educate them. And the unions focus on teachers doesn't forward the education of children. I certainly don't blame unions, but they also don't deserve any credit. The union could bring its political power to bear on the legislatures on the federal and state levels. They could bring about meaningful changes that refocus our educational system on teaching children instead of teaching children to take tests.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
...the job of the schools to educate.
Disastrous thinking; the moment that parents are no longer responsible for their children's education, the education system CANNOT succeed. I can't understand why this rationale has become so widely held. Perhaps it's apathy, maybe just indifference. Look at the latchkey kids in greater Los Angeles.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
I advocate getting rid of marriage. it's just an excuse for the government to issue a license. sex isn't a union, it's an action.

marriage has been a God given right long before democrats decided to tax it

Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

the parents job is to educate their kids on everyday things, not math and science. sorry, that's a teachers job. back on topic. teachers unions have failed.

Quote:
Disastrous thinking; the moment that parents are no longer responsible for their children's education, the education system CANNOT succeed. I can't understand why this rationale has become so widely held. Perhaps it's apathy, maybe just indifference. Look at the latchkey kids in greater Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies