Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,624,614 times

Advertisements

Unions are just like corporations. They can be good, or they can be corrupt. Abuse of workers comes from both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,116,394 times
I was a member of IBEW #351 years ago as a temporary employee when I was pulling cable during the summers. Any time we worked a government building, we got a much larger wage (thank you taxpayers). Any time a government entity didn't go union, there were efforts to shut down the jobsite as well as plenty of physical threats. This happened where I lived 10 years ago and it's a common practice:

Labor's Abuse of the City - New York Times

Unions are good ideas. It's the way they are run that is the problem. They are run by a bunch of do-nothing goons and crooks. Typical union members are good people who deserve a good wage. It's almost like Islam; get rid of the so-called leaders and you'll find they aren't bad at all.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,139,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
whats the deal, I don't get why you feel the hatred. What do you know that I don't know after being in a union that has protected my working conditions for years. Do you want to go to 1 dollars a day in aweful conditions like the china model. Hey china is profitable....at the expense of billions of lives.

Please explain your view. Please tell me in what way you are personally hurt by those EVIL unions.

Thanks.
Simple answers:

They know nothing about history.

They think unions are the only "evil" entity in the world....governments, corporations, religions, countries are ALL run by SAINTS and have never been corrupted.

It's La-la Land but that's where they want to stay....it's so much safer than thinking

Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,763,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
All this happened to YOU? No mobster has appeared at my meetings, I have never been bribed...Jimmy Hoffa hasnt come over for sunday dinner lately.
Has it happened to me?

Why no, for I am not a mobster, racketeerer or some corrupt union official.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Has it happened to me?

Why no, for I am not a mobster, racketeerer or some corrupt union official.
well glad to hear it.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM

23,832 posts, read 24,081,995 times
DestinationSeattle said on the first page pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

I'll add that unions must continue to justify their existence to their members, which is where the real problems are. Once they overcame the problems of exploitation, they should have closed up shop. Instead, they keep pushing for more and more from the employers. They have to, or the employees will realize that they're not getting anything for their money (dues).

It's not fair to the employers, who are being forced to pay an employee much more than the job is worth. My favorite example is the grocery stores. ANYONE can stock shelves, bag groceries or run a cash register. There are virtually no skills required to work in a grocery store, yet the stores are forced to give their employees the same benefit packages and wages as someone who paid for four years of college, earned a degree and began a career in a profession that requires some specialized knowledge or skill.

Employers - large or small - should have no obligation whatsoever other than to fulfill the terms of the employment contract that was signed by both the employer and employee at the time of hire. If that contract stipulated a benefit package, then they have to provide it. If it stipulated no benefits and only minimum wage, then that's all the employee is entitled to receive. The employee has the option of turning down the job and applying somewhere else.

For the record, I am not a Republican.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times
Last I checked $12 per hour was a bit below the starting wage for somebody with any degree but elementary education or public safety.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,241,826 times
Personally, I know no Republicans who "hate" Unions. I do know several registered Republicans who are members of Unions - one being the head of a local.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
DestinationSeattle said on the first page pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

I'll add that unions must continue to justify their existence to their members, which is where the real problems are. Once they overcame the problems of exploitation, they should have closed up shop. Instead, they keep pushing for more and more from the employers. They have to, or the employees will realize that they're not getting anything for their money (dues).

It's not fair to the employers, who are being forced to pay an employee much more than the job is worth. My favorite example is the grocery stores. ANYONE can stock shelves, bag groceries or run a cash register. There are virtually no skills required to work in a grocery store, yet the stores are forced to give their employees the same benefit packages and wages as someone who paid for four years of college, earned a degree and began a career in a profession that requires some specialized knowledge or skill.

Employers - large or small - should have no obligation whatsoever other than to fulfill the terms of the employment contract that was signed by both the employer and employee at the time of hire. If that contract stipulated a benefit package, then they have to provide it. If it stipulated no benefits and only minimum wage, then that's all the employee is entitled to receive. The employee has the option of turning down the job and applying somewhere else.

For the record, I am not a Republican.
actually, not everybody can be a checker. Very few can cut it with the physical demands. Hours of long lines on your feet, dealing with people with crappy attitudes. But off the point, thats why its called a LABOR union. Labor jobs tend to get the most abuse with very little protection.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,316 times
I don't "hate" Unions, but I see that they provide a lot of cover for lazy workers to abuse the rules. My FIL and friends & coworkers have worked for Unions in the past, I have always avoided those jobs.

One co-worker told a story of an employer who would bring in over $100k/year by working weekends (double time) and holidays (triple time) and overnight on those weekends and holidays (1.5x your daily rate, so 3x normal on weekends, 4.5x normal on holidays).

There are also the incompetants who are incapable of doing their jobs, my wife had to deal with this in her last position. Workers would sit around, refuse to do work, and still collect a paycheck. One lady was successfully fired, then re-hired according to a union agreement.

Good workers don't need unions, it is the poor workers who do. A good worker who isn't making what he deserves can always find a job elsewhere that pays more, a poor worker will find himself in a lower paying job.

I have also worked in the automotive field for a few years, it was obvious to me that there was a much better relationship between management and labor in non-union shops than in union shops.

There's also the issue of Unions taking money from their members and donating it to political parties without the knowledge or consent of their members. It is an "opt-out" program, but if you opt-out, then you can be sure that EVERYONE in the workplace knows about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies