Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,220 times

Advertisements

hey swagger, unions are not everywhere..only in places with good jobs ??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
hey swagger, unions are not everywhere..only in places with good jobs ??????????
what a great comment. I love this thread. Union workers generally do enjoy a better life than non union workers. I agree, I have also seen a lot of businesses leave town that were NOT union. How did the union ruin those businesses. Its true, that unless you find workers that want to work for less that 3 bucks a day, then you might as well scoot your butt to China. Everyone needs a scapegoat though

Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's remarkable to me how many people seem to have this idea that just because a business is a business, the leaders of that business are getting rich...

Tell you what, guys - go start your own business. You're not satisfied working for "the man" and getting paid slave wages? Become the slave master. Put your money where your mouth is and demonstrate to the rest of us how it should be done.
Roger that! I had it far easier before I started my business. On the plus side, in 10 more years and I can sell the whole thing and not worry about money for the rest of my life. I work nearly 24/7 in some capacity. I have few breaks or diversions, other than the occasional rant on this forum and a couple of others. Ranting helps keep me sane.

When I worked for the "man", I had one family to worry about. Now that I own the company, I have dozens of families depending on me. Anybody who thinks that business owners are greedy or heartless has never owned a business. Laying off employees is the hardest thing I ever had to do - bar none!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
ANd how much did you pay your employees? Was it enough to pay a mortgage? If one didn't work to your standards, did you feel compelled to keep them employed?
Since when is it a businesses job to ensure that every employee can afford a mortgage? Its my job to ensure that I pay wages competitive in the market so that I can attract the best talent while still being able to win new work. The market sets the price. Suggest you read up on your college Economics. Nobody forces anybody to work anywhere.

Employees that do not meet my standards do not remain my employees very long. Sorry. The world is harsh.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Since when is it a businesses job to ensure that every employee can afford a mortgage? Its my job to ensure that I pay wages competitive in the market so that I can attract the best talent while still being able to win new work. The market sets the price. Suggest you read up on your college Economics. Nobody forces anybody to work anywhere.

Employees that do not meet my standards do not remain my employees very long. Sorry. The world is harsh.
perhaps you should read Swaggers posts, hes BEEN THERE DONE THAT, your diatribe is old news. Thanks for coming, we already have the T-shirt.
Hes already representing the slave labor side of capitolism

Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post

Back up... you obviously didn't read the entire thread. I don't advocate paying people enough to pay their mortgage... it was sberdrow's comment that people should, therefore I was asking if that same standard applied to his employees at the time.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
If those companies close shop due to union organization, then I guess it was not easy to fill the shoes...
And exactly who benefited from that transaction?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
what a great comment. I love this thread. Union workers generally do enjoy a better life than non union workers. I agree, I have also seen a lot of businesses leave town that were NOT union. How did the union ruin those businesses. Its true, that unless you find workers that want to work for less that 3 bucks a day, then you might as well scoot your butt to China. Everyone needs a scapegoat though
Labor unions protect the workers too much. If an employee is mediocre at best in his/her job performance, and happens to not receive a merit increase in salary because of it, the employee can cry to the union, and the union will often defend the lax employees.

I have a great deal of opposition to labor unions for many reasons. When workers go on strike, the goods don't get delievered, the services abruptly stop, and the economy suffers as a result. I won't even get into how the businesses suffer ... but consumers are basically screwed. When city bus drivers went on strike in Phoenix a while back, it was unannounced ... and people were left stranded in 110 degree heat with no service. Keep in mind that Phoenix is a pretty staunch right to work city, but there are unions in some public services.

In places where unions have a heavy presence, non union members have been shunned, threatened, and even had acts of violence committed against them by unionized workers during strikes. Some members of my family were victims. That's the main reason they ended up moving to Arizona many years ago. They wanted a fresh start in a right to work atmosphere where there were increased job opportunities.

Regarding the comment about unionized workers enjoying a better life than non union workers: I can't argue there. However, that doesn't justify paying uneducated widget makers $20 per hour plus all the benefits. Besides, the majority of white collar jobs are better paying anyway, even without the presence of unions. All it takes is hard work, education, and some networking skills to achieve a better career. Unions, while at one time were beneficial, are no longer useful. In fact, they have become corrupt!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Back up... you obviously didn't read the entire thread. I don't advocate paying people enough to pay their mortgage... it was sberdrow's comment that people should, therefore I was asking if that same standard applied to his employees at the time.
well, I didnt mean to specify mortgages, I was speaking in general...even YOU understood that I think, I don't know why that other guy went on the rant

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
well, I didnt mean to specify mortgages, I was speaking in general...even YOU understood that I think, I don't know why that other guy went on the rant
Yup. I just wanted you to get the brunt of it I won't take any offense to the "even you" remark... as long as you don't suggest that Geico is so easy that even I can call them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies