Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Its just a matter of time before they are packing up and leaving. Even a non union worker is going to demand higher pay than Toyota could get in a 3rd world country.
Depends on the tax implications of manufacturing overseas. Toyota wouldn't have built here if it was not cost effective. These facilities aren't 50 years old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
the circuit city story is a good example, they have fired the higher paying commission workers about 4 years ago. That took all the electronic experts away to other jobs, and left the semi good ones left on an hourly wage. People really noticed the quality difference stopped going there. Later they fired the folks making 10 dollars an hour, and left only folks making around 7 dollars an hour, which left absolutely no one to give any quality service, and no Circuit City is about to go belly up. Meanwhile, the management at the regional and corporate level is getting retention pay worth hundreds of millions of dollars. 2 corporate managers make more that the entire staff of circuit city back in the day when they were on commission. They received NO CUTS.

Best buy, at least has kept the good HOURLY wages, not great, but then again, you cant expect much from that smurf convention. Gone are the days of great service, and knowledgeable employees in electronics
What you are talking about is the free market in action. Consumers are punishing Circuit City for their actions, and rewarding Best Buy for theirs. If Circuit City goes bankrupt, it's a direct result of the lack of competence of their management.

Thanks for proving my point for me

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why is there reason to believe that moving the jobs of obscenely overpaid upper managment overseas wouldn't have great value?
It has. Look at what happened when we lowered the number of H1B visas that we allowed in the US. Those immigrants moved back home and started their own businesses which are competing with the very companies they used to work for.

But it's up to the investors to decide which company they place value in... they along with the consumers decide the fate of a company.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Depends on the tax implications of manufacturing overseas. Toyota wouldn't have built here if it was not cost effective. These facilities aren't 50 years old...
Anybody know what the average car manufacture makes on the manufacturing line? I would sure like to know, and then we can compare that to .80 cents a day.....Yep, its just a matter of time.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Ok so please explain why we need jobs that don't pay us enough to pay our bills and be comfortable in life.
I'd like for someone to explain why we need to be paying $20 per hour to assembly line workers and widget makers who barely graduated from high school, and have very little in the way of additional skills. Many of the pay increases and extra benefits which unions demand are absolutely ridiculous ... and it's not only the lower paid blue collar jobs. Look at all the unions in the sports industry, as well as in Hollywood. Actors, writers, and athletes have gone on strike because they didn't get their extra million dollars on top of the millions they already earn.

If you're concerned about not being able to make enough to pay bills and be comfortable, I have news for you. When the negotiations are over, and unions get what they wanted, that drives up prices of goods & services for the average consumer. And when the strikes are under way, those basic goods & services are in short supply. So the bottom line is: with the presence of unions, the consumers are the ones who are screwed.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM

83 posts, read 218,236 times
When a checker at vons or any other store is paid 20+ medical already and wants more. strikes the cost of food goes up that affects me. any idiot can do most union jobs why should the few members of the union gain when it hurts 100000 fold. People outside the union are the ones hurt. Not to bring up unions using peoples money to get people elected. Get a life and get paid what your worth. If everyone was in a union the whole system would fail. FTU

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
My credibility is just fine actually, thank you.
No... It's not. If you're intentionally mis-characterizing someone's position, then your credibility's shot.

Quote:
Its my opinion after ready over 50 of your posts that you are in favor of slave wages.
Define "slave wages" and cite the post in which I stated that I am in favor of whatever it is you defined.

Quote:
You are probably against the min wage
Yep.

Quote:
you disaprove of any worker getting union representation under Any circumstances.
There you go again - that's totally false. My position is that union representation is unneeded in this day and age. However, if an employee has a genuine grievance that cannot be settled through direct negotiation with the employer, then they can and should seek whatever representation is required to resolve the dispute. That could be a private attorney, a union representative or even just a simple phone call to the state labor board.

You clearly haven't kept up on my position in this thread - you've simply replied to individual posts, and formed an opinion without looking at the complete picture. Frankly, I don't blame you as this thread has gone on for some time, but once pointed out as I did a few posts ago, you should have taken a closer look before leveling accusations as you have. My position has remained very consistent and I've been abundantly clear.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'd like for someone to explain why we need to be paying $20 per hour to assembly line workers and widget makers who barely graduated from high school, and have very little in the way of additional skills. Many of the pay increases and extra benefits which unions demand are absolutely ridiculous ... and it's not only the lower paid blue collar jobs. Look at all the unions in the sports industry, as well as in Hollywood. Actors, writers, and athletes have gone on strike because they didn't get their extra million dollars on top of the millions they already earn.

If you're concerned about not being able to make enough to pay bills and be comfortable, I have news for you. When the negotiations are over, and unions get what they wanted, that drives up prices of goods & services for the average consumer. And when the strikes are under way, those basic goods & services are in short supply. So the bottom line is: with the presence of unions, the consumers are the ones who are screwed.
20 dollars an hours is only 40k a year or so, I don't think that's a lot of money. Don't know why that kind of income for your fellow Americans makes you so disturbed. 2ND of all, its a very hard job, and a bit of danger to it. It takes skill, strength and accuracy, stamina. Most folks couldn't do it for for more than a few days let alone years. People like ME for instance, could never do a job like that. Next time your sitting at the scene of an accident ALIVE, thank god for those people you just insulted.

3rd, no one has proven that the NON union jobs are not heading overseas too. I know they are, I watch CNBC, Read business weekly, and generally putt around the Internet on sites like this.

Last edited by sberdrow; 09-04-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

bottom feeder line is: with the presence of laywers and sub-prime mortgage brokers,wanna be stock brokers and greedy ceo's,along with all other white collar crimes IS the real reason consumers and the economy as a whole is screwed!! keep blaming the 50k a year wrench monkey for the problems.....HARD SELL MY FRIEND !

Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Anybody know what the average car manufacture makes on the manufacturing line? I would sure like to know, and then we can compare that to .80 cents a day.....Yep, its just a matter of time.
Pay is not the only factor in profitability. Quality, efficiency, the cost of raw materials, the cost of utilities, the stability of the government are all factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies