Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

I hate talk radio, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Conservatives, who listen to the radio more than other other group of people, listen to the radio primarily because it is FREE. They can't afford more than FREE even though they think they are rich and are getting the same tax breaks Bill Gates is. Therefore, rant radio works great in areas where the people need FREE entertainment because they aren't making enough to pay for entertainment.

In the areas where people make a little more money (blue states) they can afford to pay for what they want to listen to -- which isn't rant radio.

I've never listened to Air America, but unless it plays to the crowd that wants FREE entertainment, it's never going to work.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:38 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I hate talk radio, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Conservatives, who listen to the radio more than other other group of people, listen to the radio primarily because it is FREE. They can't afford more than FREE even though they think they are rich and are getting the same tax breaks Bill Gates is. Therefore, rant radio works great in areas where the people need FREE entertainment because they aren't making enough to pay for entertainment.

In the areas where people make a little more money (blue states) they can afford to pay for what they want to listen to -- which isn't rant radio.

I've never listened to Air America, but unless it plays to the crowd that wants FREE entertainment, it's never going to work.

I take it you do not like talk radio?!! I am confused however. I always thought conseratives were the rich people and the democrats(blue states) needed the handouts..

Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I take it you do not like talk radio?!! I am confused however. I always thought conseratives were the rich people and the democrats(blue states) needed the handouts..
The elites of both parties, who ultimately drive policy and public discourse, are the rich people. I think that amongst the "rank and file", overall, liberal areas have more money than conservatives (with some exceptions, of course). Notice how much more expensive it is to live in "blue" areas like New York, San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle than it is to live in "red" areas like the midwest and south. Red states I believe actually get proportionately more federal money than blue states do.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I'd love to see stats on this.

Rich.
Affluent.
Upper middle class.
Middle class
Working class
Plum poor.

The cities draw from all over the country, and those folks are trying to get away from "red" states mentality go to the "blue" states so they can think progressively--rich or poor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
The elites of both parties, who ultimately drive policy and public discourse, are the rich people. I think that amongst the "rank and file", overall, liberal areas have more money than conservatives (with some exceptions, of course). Notice how much more expensive it is to live in "blue" areas like New York, San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle than it is to live in "red" areas like the midwest and south. Red states I believe actually get proportionately more federal money than blue states do.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
with few exceptions, urban areas have almost always been more socially progressive than rural areas (although midwestern progressive thought is generally more populist and labor oriented in nature given the urban history of the northern midwest), this split isn't so much of a state issue than an urban/rural split. The urban areas in the northern midwest (chicago, minnesota, detroit, milwaukee, etc) voted just as blue as the urban areas on the coasts. I've always found the red state blue state maps a bit of a misrepresentation of our nation, there are parts of rural california that are just as conservative as rural Nebraska and parts of urban North Carolina that are just as liberal and quirky as Portland Oregon. States are too large of entities (except for perhaps in New England) to make a sweeping generalization about their political character as a whole.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Even my New England is as politically diverse as the rest of the country. VT has as many conservatives as progressives; Rhode Island is fiscally conservative and MA can be divided by hills and valleys

And let's not forget CT--they voted in Lieberman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
with few exceptions, urban areas have almost always been more socially progressive than rural areas (although midwestern progressive thought is generally more populist and labor oriented in nature given the urban history of the northern midwest), this split isn't so much of a state issue than an urban/rural split. The urban areas in the northern midwest (chicago, minnesota, detroit, milwaukee, etc) voted just as blue as the urban areas on the coasts. I've always found the red state blue state maps a bit of a misrepresentation of our nation, there are parts of rural california that are just as conservative as rural Nebraska and parts of urban North Carolina that are just as liberal and quirky as Portland Oregon. States are too large of entities (except for perhaps in New England) to make a sweeping generalization about their political character as a whole.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Can't disagree with you more. In Northern NM we get Air America. We also get a large group of Midland, TX fly-birds and visitors (oil country) and they can't wait to hear the rant radio you refer to and wish to oil-h*ll they had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Even my New England is as politically diverse as the rest of the country. VT has as many conservatives as progressives; Rhode Island is fiscally conservative and MA can be divided by hills and valleys

And let's not forget CT--they voted in Lieberman.
Oh, I know they are diverse as well, my uncle lives in New Hampshire and I've been there many times. Gun nuts and libertarians, is how my cousin from Boston describes the state , and of course those from New Hampshire have equally as amusing things to say about their beloved neighbors to the south.

I was simply stating that given the size of the states, there probably isn't as much disparity within specific states as there are in the larger states with more significant urban/rural splits like new york state, illinois, california, etc.

...but I could be wrong, and often am

Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM

I understood, mainly, just had to throw a fly into the ointment for a laugh and fundamentally you are correct, the diversity is widespread in all the states--blue or red = purple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh, I know they are diverse as well, my uncle lives in New Hampshire and I've been there many times. Gun nuts and libertarians, is how my cousin from Boston describes the state , and of course those from New Hampshire have equally as amusing things to say about their beloved neighbors to the south.

I was simply stating that given the size of the states, there probably isn't as much disparity within specific states as there are in the larger states with more significant urban/rural splits like new york state, illinois, california, etc.

...but I could be wrong, and often am

Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Lightbulb lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
Have you heard of the internet? Apparently, you can listen to radio stations on it, regardless of where you are.
Most educated people do not listen to ranting lunatics on talk radio. Also I do not consider an Oxycontin addict from Missouri, who now lives in Palm Beach, to be of ANY interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies