Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Reply to a deleted post

greatbasinguide--interesting thoughts there.

I agree that liberals might think more independently, and have less of a need to have their views validated. But there are times when they can be just as obnoxious as conservatives. Sanctimonious stances can get on my nerves just as much as stubbornly ignorant attitudes.
I guess that's why I like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert so much; each in their own way they'll poke holes in the liberal balloons.

Last edited by Yac; 02-05-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-05-2007, 04:35 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've always had a theory on why there are so many rich liberals in urban areas.

I think the rich in urban areas drive around a lot and think "It's such a shame that these people are so poor while I'm so rich. It would make a much nicer place for me to live in if the gap wasn't so great" so they are inspired to contribute more -- just to make their areas better. They want to live in nice places, not crime infested urban areas. This is why celebrities like Rob Reiner start supporting arts programs for inner city kids (because he thinks arts programs keep kids out of trouble), adopting homeless animals (numerous celebrities get involved in this), "green living" (Leonardo DiCaprio and a bunch of others), Darfur (George Clooney & the rest -- Hey! The city is small! Let's go save the world!), and a host of other things.

Barbra Streisand donated a huge chunk of land in Malibu (something like 50,000 acres) just so a park could be created. She wanted a place that would never be developed so that people would still have some "nature" to enjoy. Griffith Park was also donated land.

Liberals don't need someone on the radio to tell them they are doing the right thing. They *know* they are doing the right thing.

On the other hand, wealthy conservatives typically move to Florida (or somewhere like that) because they don't want to pay TAXES. They also don't donate much. (The Cato Institute did a study on this - liberal donors versus conservative donors and conservatives are cheap!)

Conservative talk radio really panders to those who can 1) be easily taken advantage of, and; 2) need constant reassurance that they are right in their beliefs. What's really funny is that Conservatives won't give $40 to the Salvation Army but they'll give $40 to Rush Limbaugh for a Rush Limbaugh tie (and then they'll donate the tie to the Salvation Army because everyone points out what an idiot they are for wearing it).

So air america is not working because conservatives are stupid and liberals are rich?? I think you could be wrong about how much conservatives donate.There is research that says the opposite.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
That’s because there are no liberal leaders, only liberal whiners.
I know- liberals are always being all screechy and spewing hate and distortions and making up stories on every media outlet they possibly can.

Oh, wait, those aren't the liberals...

Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
In response to rich urban liberal theory. -I think, Liberalism probably becomes someone's mindset when they enter a city.(more accepting) I mean, it's hard to stick to conservative values when you see all these different ethinicities and income levels, and less family-values.

When a conservative is in the middle of Kentucky and see's a homeless person-it's not going to be something taken lightly. It's going to be-"Get this man off of my street now!"

Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Air America is rescued by the Green Family, NYC realtors (Mark Green was a candidate for mayor).

The buy was confirmed today, but has been under speculation for weeks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/29/bu...rssnyt&emc=rss

Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
A more recent update on the buy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_bi_ge/air_america_radio_bankruptcy (broken link)

Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
My post deleted? Astonishing, why? Hard to believe this stuff happens in America.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh, I know they are diverse as well, my uncle lives in New Hampshire and I've been there many times. Gun nuts and libertarians, is how my cousin from Boston describes the state , and of course those from New Hampshire have equally as amusing things to say about their beloved neighbors to the south.

I was simply stating that given the size of the states, there probably isn't as much disparity within specific states as there are in the larger states with more significant urban/rural splits like new york state, illinois, california, etc.

...but I could be wrong, and often am
OH because I keep my Riffles On a Rack in the back window of my Pickup, During hunting season. I'm a gun nut. All the shootings in NH seem to be coming from the Mass side of the border traveling north. We may hunt But Mass has the real Nuts. Our firearms are under control, See all shots on target. lol

Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
I figure, if it doesn't take a week, two packmules and a riding horse, it isn't really hunting, driving around in the woods, walking a little and getting back to the motel, doesn't seem too exciting.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I figure, if it doesn't take a week, two packmules and a riding horse, it isn't really hunting, driving around in the woods, walking a little and getting back to the motel, doesn't seem too exciting.
You have never been hunting in the northeast have you? We don't drive around in the woods and then go back to the hotel. Well we might take the atv's out for further travel into the woods. But you must scout and track and Know the area you are hunting. I also use Bolt action only when I hunt. Try this when hunting Coyote at night alone, about 2 Miles into the woods. Now that is a rush.Around here they get to be the size of a wolf and the keep in packs as well. Bolt action on the ground now that is fun. And the coyote population is growing out of control so it is encouraged. Well they suggest you bring a friend. But something about the dark with coyotes and another person close by. Don't like it. I just keep my gps with me and Let people know exactly where i am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies