Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

i am so tired of hearing about white guilt. only 5% of the population ever owned slaves and there was a huge war fought by a lot of whites to stop this injustice. black men got the right to vote 50 years before white women so do they feel guilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amark View Post
To answer the OP,

I am of East Indian descent and I would prefer for America to stay majority white, but always have enough of a minority like it is today. (66% white, 33% minority)
And that is highly considerate of you to say that. Unfortunately most Mexican immigrants dont share the same mind set that you do and are doing their best to transform the United States to majority Mexican.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
This must be a white guilt thing or something.
There really IS such a thing, though as I've said before, it's not exactly "white" guilt...it's confined almost exclusively to modern, Protestant-based but now secular, liberal societies. The guilt is real, it's 'palpable', and it's not a joke.

It's pretty rare around the world, and while its 'practicioners' are mostly white, by NO MEANS are all whites subject to 'white guilt'.(which is why 'white' isn't a very good descriptive). White Catholic societies, for example, have little problem with this guilt. Nor do Caucasians in most of the world..only a 'select few'. It doesn't even equate neccesarily with past 'colonialism' (the US, for example, has no history of colonizing)...nor past 'atrocities'...(EVERY society has committed atrocities).

If anyone's interested, we had a LONG thread on 'white guilt' on this forum..it 'fizzled out' about 2 months ago. I SEEM to remember it was on the "Politics" forum, not 'immigration'. It can be looked up, I'm sure.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
So you're all for white nations becoming majority non-white?

The only place where this argument is legitamate is in Europe. As far as Britian, France, Germany, etc is concerned, I would like it to remain European, but there will always be a mix too.

America is not a white nation. And frankly, I think if the Mexicans/Chinese/Africans come here and work hard, then they deserve to be the majority.

Lemme ask you something, who would you rather have as a neighbor? Colin Powell or Kid Rock? Most thinking people would say the former.

Just becuase color makes you uncomfortable doesn't make it "Wrong". How did you feel when Rev Wright made his comments? Pretty hurt, right? You felt he was a backwards and ignorant racist, right? Well, do onto others as you would like done unto you.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
1.If XYZ come here and work hard they deserve to be the majority...
Wrong we as citizens have the right to determine who we let in and why...

2.It isnt Ignorant,Racist,etc to not wish to become a Minority/or eventually..
Not exist. Many Countries do not allow themselves to became the minority and..
Face no critics for it..Japan,South Korea for example.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
1.If XYZ come here and work hard they deserve to be the majority...
Wrong we as citizens have the right to determine who we let in and why...

2.It isnt Ignorant,Racist,etc to not wish to become a Minority/or eventually..
Not exist. Many Countries do not allow themselves to became the minority and..
Face no critics for it..Japan,South Korea for example.
Let me correct you just a bit...(back to the 'western guilt' thing)...It's not so much that the nations you mentioned "face no crticicism" for their positions...it's more like they just don't CARE what 'outsiders' think of them.....That's what distinguishes MOST of the world, rich or poor, white or not, from "us" here.....when THOSE places are criticized, they couldn't care less. When WE are criticized, we LISTEN....we FEEL BAD (Guilty)..and we even join in the criticism ourselves...WE criticize 'us', TOO!

That's the difference between 'here' and 'there'.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am so tired of hearing about white guilt. only 5% of the population ever owned slaves and there was a huge war fought by a lot of whites to stop this injustice. black men got the right to vote 50 years before white women so do they feel guilty?
For goodness sakes, the Africans sold their own people as slaves!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Good Point Mac,
If Russia,China,Japan,etc was being criticized they wouldnt care!
We have a percentage of Americans who actually cant wait to be a minority..
Yes i have heard people actually say this(probably a small percentage though).
I cant imagine someone in India,Kenya or China thinking this way.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
One of my French ancestors owned seven slaves when he came to America from the caribbean (Santo Domingo). Some of the the descendants of those slaves still live only 50 miles from me today, and even still have my last name. Do I feel guilty? NO. I didn't do it, he did.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mexicans, by the way, are not Caucasians. Nearly all Mexicans are more closely realated to the Chinese than to the Spanish. Their ancestors were Mongol peoples, who came across the Bering Straits from eastern Asia. Most Mexicans are simply American Indians who grew up in a Spanish speaking area that is now called Mexico.
What about the children of Mestizos that marry White people, are they White enough to be considered White?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies