Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

[quote=Pilot1;4977549] While there is still prejudice, many people welcome others of different race if they value the same things. Family, hard work, honesty and freedom know no cultural bounds.

QUOTE]

You made some very interesting choices of values to itemize. Nearly all immigrants coming to this country originate in places where family values are light years above ours. I have known families that returned to Mexico, because they did not want their children corrupted by American "family values".

As for hard work, immigrants are very accustomed to hard work, and hope that in America they will never again have to labor under back-breaking life-long drudgery. Believe me, by the standards of the third world tin-miner or rice-planter, or road-builder, being a telemarketer is NOT hard work.

While there are people everywhere who will rip you off, and tourists are most likely to be found by them, I've found that in almost every country I've been to (more than 100 of them), ordinary people are at least as honest as Americans, and usually more so.

What most Americans do not realize is that the people who come here as immigrants are not typical. Ordinary people all over the world have very high standards of family, work, honesty and freedom. The ones that show up on our shores are the more aggressive ones, who will do whatever is necessary to get more than their share. Do not judge the people of the world by the samples that they send over here, often the ones they are glad to be rid of. The reason they form gangs when they get here is because they were gangs before they left. Many immigrants come here exactly because they do NOT respect their own culture's values of family, work, honesty and freedom, and see America as a place where they can capitalize on their own aggressive nature.

If you would spend a little time in Mexico (or any other 3rd world country) somewhere beyond the gates of the resort hotel and the chaos of the border towns, you would see the huge difference between typical Mexicans and those working in American chicken processing plants. It is very sad and unfair that Americans see Latin America as a huge Tijuana sprawling all the way doen to Cape Horn.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-24-2008 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 AM

12 posts, read 21,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm sorry, but "real Americans" are real human beings first, and are constrained by the basic laws of humanity, whether they like it not. You can overcome them, as prisoners go on hunger stikes, or the way gentle and mild mannered farm boys can be taught to napalm entire villages of women and children, but humans have a basic nature, and unless an effort is made to override that nature, it prevails.
At the far end of the scale, you will have more affinity to people of your own color, exactly as, at the near end, you will loan money to a member of your family, but not a neighbor or a person who lives in the next town.
Mild mannered farm boys?!? Hah! You must not have ever been near any actual farmboys. I wouldn't give money to anybody in my family.

But I do volunteer to help my neighbors, and I give to charities. You seem so sure of yourself - yet, you are consistently wrong because of making so many assumptions.

Why do you suppose that is?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitBoy! View Post
Mild mannered farm boys?!? Hah! You must not have ever been near any actual farmboys. I wouldn't give money to anybody in my family.

But I do volunteer to help my neighbors, and I give to charities. You seem so sure of yourself - yet, you are consistently wrong because of making so many assumptions.

Why do you suppose that is?
Because you just validated what I said by admitting that you would help your neighbors.

And because you are consistently wrong in making so many assumption that I did not grow up in a small farm town, sitting in a classroom that smelled like a barn because my classmates didnt have time to change their clothes when the bus interrupted their chores.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times
Diversity is fine just up to the point where multi-culturalism is avoided. Everyone must assimilate to the mainstream culture, with out this assimilation, diversity would not work.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Diversity is fine just up to the point where multi-culturalism is avoided. Everyone must assimilate to the mainstream culture, with out this assimilation, diversity would not work.
So it's okay for different types of people to live together, as long as they all act the same (read: white)?That's insanity. How about learning from another person's perspective, and perhaps realizing that the way you do things is not the only way.

Why should someone have the bury their rich culture and heritage to fit in with the mainstream? So the mainstream culture is the only one that offers something of value?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
So it's okay for different types of people to live together, as long as they all act the same (read: white)?That's insanity. How about learning from another person's perspective, and perhaps realizing that the way you do things is not the only way.

Why should someone have the bury their rich culture and heritage to fit in with the mainstream? So the mainstream culture is the only one that offers something of value?
Who said anything about acting White? We as Americans have a "common ground" culture regardless of where we come from. As a 1st generation American of Mexican descent, my culture and values would be different than someone of the same ancestry as mine but at a 3rd or 4th generation. I have common ground culture with both Mexican culture and American culture. I have American ideals that are percieved very different from Mexican culture and vice-versa.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Why? Ohhhh..I don't know. Maybe headhunters, living next door to peaceable Quakers just wouldn't be a good "mix", I guess. Some families tell their teenage daughters 'you can be anything you WANT to be', while others tell their daughters 'your destiny is to become some man's wife. We'll let you know who it will be'....

Some people teach their kids to call the police when someone violates their rights. Others tell the kiddies that the thing to do is for ALL male family members to go to the offender's home, and beat him up.

Some people think it's OK for men and women to 'mix' socially. For others, this could cause violence.

Some people look at the 'law' as our protector. Others view all members of law enforcement as their 'natural enemy'. Some people view laws as 'things to obey'. Others view laws as 'things to be broken'.

I can't imagine why ANY of these people would want to 'fit in', though. Aren't ALL these things pretty much 'equal' ? Why 'bury your rich culture' just to please others? One culture's 'child molester' is another culture's 'bridegroom'...right? Even 'statutory rape' is only 'rape' if you accept the 'statutes'....right?

Good thinking, abrown 17 !! Don't let ANYONE change the way you do things.....if they don't like it, TOUGH !

Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Who said anything about acting White? We as Americans have a "common ground" culture regardless of where we come from. As a 1st generation American of Mexican descent, my culture and values would be different than someone of the same ancestry as mine but at a 3rd or 4th generation. I have common ground culture with both Mexican culture and American culture. I have American ideals that are percieved very different from Mexican culture and vice-versa.
It is acting white because white is the mainstream race in America and the culture reflects that. American culture does not fairly represent all the different groups that live here. You say that multiculturalism is to be avoided. That means everyone should adapt to a Eurocentric viewpoint and way of life. Not gonna happen.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why? Ohhhh..I don't know. Maybe headhunters, living next door to peaceable Quakers just wouldn't be a good "mix", I guess. Some families tell their teenage daughters 'you can be anything you WANT to be', while others tell their daughters 'your destiny is to become some man's wife. We'll let you know who it will be'....

Some people teach their kids to call the police when someone violates their rights. Others tell the kiddies that the thing to do is for ALL male family members to go to the offender's home, and beat him up.

Some people think it's OK for men and women to 'mix' socially. For others, this could cause violence.

Some people look at the 'law' as our protector. Others view all members of law enforcement as their 'natural enemy'. Some people view laws as 'things to obey'. Others view laws as 'things to be broken'.

I can't imagine why ANY of these people would want to 'fit in', though. Aren't ALL these things pretty much 'equal' ? Why 'bury your rich culture' just to please others? One culture's 'child molester' is another culture's 'bridegroom'...right? Even 'statutory rape' is only 'rape' if you accept the 'statutes'....right?

Good thinking, abrown 17 !! Don't let ANYONE change the way you do things.....if they don't like it, TOUGH !
Your exaggeration is amusing. I didn't say people shouldn't change, I said they should learn from each other. That is not going to happen when people automatically adopt the dominant culture simply because it is dominant. People can find common ground without losing their unique attributes.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It is acting white because white is the mainstream race in America and the culture reflects that. American culture does not fairly represent all the different groups that live here. You say that multiculturalism is to be avoided. That means everyone should adapt to a Eurocentric viewpoint and way of life. Not gonna happen.
I don't know about that. I live in California, and 35% of California is Hispanic. American culture does not represent all the different groups? American culture is the reflection of all cultures that came to America! Just recently I went to a festival for Jazz and Salsa. There were people of all colors enjoying great music on a warm California evening. You were talking about "White culture". White culture is compromised of how many European countries? These countries do not share the same culture but indeed formed a culture of their own while mixing with other cultures. You cannot adopt a new culture by preserving your own. You should expect change moving from Mexico to China, you should learn their language and in a few generations your family will view everything in a chinese perspective. They will go to Mexico viewing things very differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies