Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM

59 posts, read 89,843 times

Advertisements

I hope this doesn't turn into a political mudslinging match because that really isn't my intention. The Republicans have their fair share of hypocrites...

That being said, I find it hilarious that the Democrats who are on this kick to go "green" are finding that there is a shortage of gas guzzling limousines in Denver for the DNC. Shouldn't they all be driving hybrid cars? Or, even better shouldn't they all be taking public transportation like they are advocating for everyone else? Plus, at $8,000 to rent a limo for the convention, I'd say we're looking at a bunch of elitist politicians that feel that everyone should follow their rules but themselves. Al Gore is a perfect example. He has an enormous carbon footprint with all the traveling he does on his private jet, his mansion (which only after being criticized now is outfitted with solar panels) and his army of gas guzzling Lincoln Towncars that he even used in his movie! How could anyone take this guy seriously? Obviously the politicians in the Democratic party say they are concerned about the environment but they sure don't act like it...

Also, just for good measure I threw in an article from the WSJ that I read a few weeks back on the political correctness of the convention. Do we use petroleum based plastic disposables that are shipped from Asia on heavily poluting ships, or use china that must be driven accross town and later washed with energy intensive hot water? Too funny!

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | DNC facing limousine shortage

LIMO SHORTAGE FOR DENVER DEMS - New York Post

The Greenest Show on Earth: Democrats Gear Up for Denver - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
I agree Dem's like Pelosi and Reid infact vast majority are as green as a Latin American Factory lol.

Not saying Rep's are better but it's these Dem's who talk it but don't walk it.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Really depends on how many are in the limo. Is it better to have 12 or so in a limo or 5-6 cabs on the road? Most cabs aren't real fuel efficient and they will be if major use if folks don't drive there which they won't.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Really depends on how many are in the limo. Is it better to have 12 or so in a limo or 5-6 cabs on the road? Most cabs aren't real fuel efficient and they will be if major use if folks don't drive there which they won't.
I'll bet many limos will only have 1 passenger. I have no problem with them doing this, but don't turn around and tell me to live green!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
I find this humorous, it has been in all of our newspapers and all of our news stations how this is going to be a completely "green" event, although they are renting limos and shutting down several miles of a MAJOR highway, that will force thousands of people trying to gets somewhere on side streets, which will get clogged up beyond belief and adds miles to the whole thing, they are also using several of our stadiums which well.... you get the point as to how much electricity they use. and all of the news equipment being installed all over the fricken city that require gas powered generators to keep up and running. the list goes on.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Well, I own a limo but I don't really want to loan it out.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
oh come on, you can fit at least 5 grown adults into a Prius, 6 if you stuff Hillary into the trunk

Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'll bet many limos will only have 1 passenger. I have no problem with them doing this, but don't turn around and tell me to live green!
Well I doubt there would be that many singles, since politicians always have an entourage. Let's just assume that the heads of our government will not be allowed to travel on the buses, since the security costs would be a phenomenal, remember there are terrorists lurking in every doorway.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
our local taxi company are using prius's for there fleet. They can always use a taxi!

Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

59 posts, read 89,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Well I doubt there would be that many singles, since politicians always have an entourage. Let's just assume that the heads of our government will not be allowed to travel on the buses, since the security costs would be a phenomenal, remember there are terrorists lurking in every doorway.
People use limos because they are luxurious, not to save on fuel. I still say they should take public transportation. Denver has both a light rail and a bus system that is more than adequate for them to get around. They will need security in their limos too so I can't imagine that it would cost that much more for security on public transit especially when you factor in the cost of renting the limo itself. Even if it did, businesses face this issue all the time now. Going "green" is not always the most cost effective option. If one of the big issues that you are going to campaign on is the environment, you had better practice what you preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies