Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM

491 posts, read 746,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
poverty is not a choice, its a result of a long string of bad decisions. gota make more than 1 to get there.
been there done that. many profess to want jobs and training, in truth they want neither.
It is interesting you are making broad generalizations without any evidence to back it up. If you want people to take you seriously on here you should post more informant statements. You do not know poor people so you have no idea why they are poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
that is a great idea but is based on fantasy. Not everyone has the means or are smart enought to get a better life.
What means do you need besides the will and a really bad-*ss work ethic? Do you think every self-made millionaire out there was super smart or had some sponsor waiting behind the wings? Or did they just work their butts off, make sacrifices, and just keep trying despite the odds and failures?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Here are some people who came from nothing and now have...everything!

10 Rags to Riches Billionaires

Learned about this guy in high school, and he is still an inspiration:

John H. Johnson Biography - Newsmakers Cumulation

Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here are some people who came from nothing and now have...everything!

10 Rags to Riches Billionaires

Learned about this guy in high school, and he is still an inspiration:

John H. Johnson Biography - Newsmakers Cumulation
that is great but not everyone can do that. One example will not prove that everyone can do it. If everyone was a millionaire there would be no one to work at gas stations to make sure you get gas or clean floors.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 PM

I guess it leads back to the original question...

They can't do it?
Or they choose not to?

It's not an easy life one way or the other. But it's a lot easier to never even try.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I guess it leads back to the original question...

They can't do it?
Or they choose not to?

It's not an easy life one way or the other. But it's a lot easier to never even try.

People do though but when you are working two jobs and just barely making it. Forget college they have not time since they are just barely surviving.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,761,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
they choose to be rich but they chose to steal..........now half the nation is stealing something from somebody and half the nation is taxed to try to stop stealing, and that small percentage who has so much money they give it away, has been given money to fix their businesses, because the world is getting poorer because of the excess prosperity...so to fix that, someone says we need to let things get worse so it can get better, but stealing and lying are still working . Fact IS when too many are TAKING THE SAME ADVANTAGE AT THE SAME TIME the scheme stops working. So when the upper crust starts running out of (dow),dough what ever, they start serving us french fried cardboad .

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
Quote:
It is interesting you are making broad generalizations without any evidence to back it up. If you want people to take you seriously on here you should post more informant statements. You do not know poor people so you have no idea why they are poor.
yes it is interesting yes they are broad statements, they address the poor and welfare system. and i am in an excellent position to make these statements.
whether you take me seriously is none of my concern. i am not an "informant" so no need for me to post "informant" statements. i know a great deal about poor people, you assume much my friend.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes it is interesting yes they are broad statements, they address the poor and welfare system. and i am in an excellent position to make these statements.
whether you take me seriously is none of my concern. i am not an "informant" so no need for me to post "informant" statements. i know a great deal about poor people, you assume much my friend.
For being someone who supposily knows a lot about them you sure make a lot of false statements. If you meet every poor person then I will acknowlege you know about poor people but until then you need to stop acting like you know poor people.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
Quote:
For being someone who supposily knows a lot about them you sure make a lot of false statements. If you meet every poor person then I will acknowlege you know about poor people but until then you need to stop acting like you know poor people.
if it were not true i would not say it.
its not an act friend.
many in the welfare system simply have no interest in the training and job seeking. they want neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies