Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
In regards to the grants and educational opportunities, it's not as easy as it appears. For some reason if you're under 24 and not married they provide financial aid based on your parents income, even if you do not receive support from them (completely asinine) or unless you have a dependent.

So it's either have a rich mommy and daddy or get knocked up as a teen so you can get support from the govt., which in the long run leads to poverty more often.
Exactly.. we both worked 2 jobs for years to pay off our home so tha we could help put our only child through college. Our income level and being debt free, hurt us. She qualifies for no grants at all. However, if one of us would quit our jobs, we would be below poverty level and she would get a free ride including room and board. We both continue to work one job each (OT most weeks) and pay in cash for her college, but it's killing us.

The OP probably sees us as poor; we have a very small home, older cars.. don't really purchase anything new.. but we have no debt while family members double our income and can barely make the mortgage.. So I ask in this scenario who is really poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
I will not disagree that there are many who do abuse the system but to say most abuse is false.
I don't know , but I believe this game was played by early Americans and it is played all over the world.......it is a sickness to try to help someone you don't know, unless you are trained to do this. All over crafty people find and trick unsuspecting people.......it is imoral to help people in the wrong way.....I think. And I agree with Huck

Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Exactly.. we both worked 2 jobs for years to pay off our home so tha we could help put our only child through college. Our income level and being debt free, hurt us. She qualifies for no grants at all. However, if one of us would quit our jobs, we would be below poverty level and she would get a free ride including room and board. We both continue to work one job each (OT most weeks) and pay in cash for her college, but it's killing us.

The OP probably sees us as poor; we have a very small home, older cars.. don't really purchase anything new.. but we have no debt while family members double our income and can barely make the mortgage.. So I ask in this scenario who is really poor?
What ever you do.......do your best ,to do it right......do it for the right motives.......get satisfaction from helping........but get your moneys worth for your investment..........Thats why a small loan is what I try......it must be paid back or the the loanee must help an other.......but the rule is , if you don't work you don't eat at my table.......these people are clever, they are killing us and themselves and our country..and you can find them everywhere

Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Why do so many people choose to remain ignorant?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Default Some people are just slow and ignorant.

Such as yourself.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Such as yourself.
some people are.........you name it.....so what good was that.....you tell me

Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 PM

312 posts, read 507,157 times
Quote:
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
answer #1: government grants. I know people who refuse to get better paying jobs because they don't want to lose their grants.

answer # 2: imagine there were no grants. people would still be poor. and this will be even more by choice, because they get no subsidies for it.
(a): they feel it's easier to stay poor. they figure that the rich sit on their a** all day and drink beer, so they might as well do the same without the hard work of becoming rich first
(b): they have more important distractions in their life, like raising a family with love rather than posessions (money isn't everything, you know)

answer # 3: they're on drugz

Old 01-05-2009, 11:39 PM

40 posts, read 75,848 times
I wonder about the ignorance of some users towards the poor in any american forum about this topic. All around your country there is poverty, and for sure governmental assistence is less than in the european union, where I live.

Wake up! An american household must afford at least one car, low incomers have to work in two or three jobs and the welfare and healthsystem doens´t care about the poor like in our Countries.

I travelled to countries you can call them "second world" in the middle east (but not in real third world regions like india or black africa). In these countries, eben in abandoned regions, the bus service is much better and the big families share their incomes with their relatives. So the majority of the poor families live in more crouded and a little run down, but liveable houses. In rural areas, many people can live on their small farmland and their needs are less in general, because they have a house, can take cheap bustickets to bigger cities and have fresh and cheap food and help each other. This makes poverty more bearable.

In America you must rely on your own, so the life for poor people ist even harder than in many poorer societies. You can´t live without a car, if you don´t have a job or can´t work, you´ve to live on food stamps, because food is not cheap and the prices are made for the middle class and upper classes.

Look at the trailers and shacks, look at the people who live because of the housing crisis sometimes in caravans or even in tent cities, look at the homeless (between them are disabled people!), look at the run down shacks and trailers in many suburbs and rural areas and look at the gang crime in your cities. Do you really think, that the children of low income people have the same chance to go to college and to use their abilities?
This isn´t because people are "lazy", but the result of the big gap between the rich and the poor. The more poverty is spread in a community, the more spills the cancers like crime, drug and alcohol abuse, loss of identity and things like that!
In the USA poverty is more serious than in any other country of the so called western world.

Don´t forget, that the white house lobbies and their companies spend Billions Dollar for wars and lobbyism for the capitalism all over the world and that there´s a permanently growing number of billionaires in america. This rich country can´t afford to help Millions of poor and serious poor people and you blame them not to do enough for their wealth?

Millions of illegal mexican workers don´t live in the USA in crouded houses, because they can fulfill their american dream. They live there and work hard, because they earn more for their relatives in mexico.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
If not wanting to/not being able to / climb the corporate latter and being content with a middle-lower income is "staying poor", then probably I qualify for having chosen to stay "poor" (although "poor" in that sense is relative, and very far from actual material misery). So what were my moitvations for staying "poor" ? (or rather let's say "lower middle class" in terms of income?)

- I know my limits. I acknowledge honestly I'm not a hard worker, nor a fighter. I'm not downright lazy or complacent, it's just that I've experienced that in a competing situation, when I give the best of myself (or try to), there are scores of competitors with more gumption who in the end win over me. So that leaves me with the choice of calling it a day or start all over again to push the boulder up the slope for the same results (the myth of Sisyphus);

-I've known too many people with promising, brilliant careers falling, lots of them because of health problems due to stress and exhaustion, what's called "burn out".
I had a cousin who was starting a brilliant career in Wall Street , unfortunately he had a genetical heart condition. Doctors told him that he went on like that he wouldn't live long. But he was young, full of life, had a beautiful fiancee, wanted to have fun, do sports, play hard, work hard, and took no heed. He collapsed suddenly at his office in NYC 9 years ago and couldn't be revived. He was 26 yo.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
Default Choose to be poor? You can't be serious!

Quote:
:hamd: First off, poverty to a great extent isn't a choice.

:confused: You would need to educate yourself as to the realities of our society, of any society to understand this.

:cool: Not everyone can be rich. Imagine if everyone in America woke up tomorrow morning with a billion dollars in the bank. It'd be worthless.

:p The top 10% in this country earn 40% of the income.
:p The top 10% in this country own 90% of the wealth.
:p It is absurd to believe that 30 million Americans are unemployed because they choose to be. There aren't 30 million unfilled jobs in America.

To say that poverty is a choice is to say "I am uneducated and content to remain so."

Educate yourself first by answering the question "Why does poverty exist?"

Good luck with that!

MoonOwl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies