Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 04:47 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,206,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Ridiculous. My son finished high school had a job and married before starting a family. They had one child, who happened to be born with a long list of medical problems, most of which will be with him for his entire life. My daughter-in-law cannot work because she must spend all of her time caring for my grandson who is incapable of doing even the simplest of things most children can do for themselves. My son lost his job 2 years ago, when the auto plants started cutting employees. They are now separated, she still in one state, he here in this state. He has a job, which in the current economy is a miracle, but both of them are what is considered poor. He sends her part of every paycheck, which means he can't afford a place of his own, so he lives with me. (He's here because where she is there are NO jobs available.) He also gives me part of every paycheck to help out with the bills and the extra groceries. Now he might lose the job because his vehicle broke down, leaving him no way to get to the job, which is 30 miles away. Sure, he could use the bus - but that would require him to leave here at 3am, not getting home until about 8pm, thus having no time with which to look for another vehicle. And, should he find a vehicle, I'll have to dip into my savings to help him get it. I know that he would pay me back as soon as he can, but, in the mean time, I have to find some way to control my own spending so I don't have to further drain my savings.

The point is that just having a job and waiting for marriage to start a family in no way 'guarantees' that one will never slip into poverty.
Hi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,832,553 times
they are filled, but unqualified or unskilled workers. when I didn't make as much money, I lived with 3 other guys. I was not poor, life just kind of sucked. another point to make is "what is poverty." if someone doesn't have directv, are they "poor? by some standards, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
there you go. those 'lower paying positions' exist. hence, if they exist then it exists to be filled, that means someone has to fill that position. that's why the premise that poverty is totally a personal choice is unfair in light of the fact society has constructed that position as well as pay expecting someone to fill it and work for that income.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,756 times
Most people that are wealthy are not even happy at all, their self worth is valued in the boasting of what one has and does. They self worth is determined by what they have in their pocket, (so superficial). That is why many when they lose their fortunes in the stock market end up committing suicide, because their self worth, which is money has been lost. When you are on your death bed, what can your money do for you then? The day will come where people will not be able to put their trust in riches, and then what do you really have. I really applaude people that are financially wealthy and really turn their good fortune into being a positive attribute to society, rather then sticking their noses up and people and saying "I thank God I am not poor like them." That attitude is just disgusting, and that is why many of them are not happy, because they need to put others down to feel good about themselves.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 PM

185 posts, read 108,025 times
Quote:
interesting you say liberals are unrealistic when you don't seem to grasp the faintest idea that not everyone can be rich.

is someone who works at mcdonalds rich? is someone who cleans hotel rooms rich? are you blaming them for not being rich? is your plumber rich? how about the cable guy?

if they were to educate themselves in the pursuit of higher paying employment, who would fill those lower paying positions? a ghost?

so everyone can live in some mcmansion and make six figure incomes in this current economic system??

you are such a comedian.
I've heard liberals say wealth isn't about money. And now you're bashing short order cooks and hotel maids.

But to answer your question, my claim was that there is a pervasive liberal mindset that you have to surrender all control to an employer, that you have no other choices. Granted, there will always be people who aren't ready to take on self-determination and a higher paying job, but those people need to realize they are teammates with the company they work for, and not adversaries of that company like liberal dogma teaches.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM

185 posts, read 108,025 times
Quote:
there you go. those 'lower paying positions' exist. hence, if they exist then it exists to be filled, that means someone has to fill that position. that's why the premise that poverty is totally a personal choice is unfair in light of the fact society has constructed that position as well as pay expecting someone to fill it and work for that income.
What you fail to realize is if there are jobs that need to be filled and few people to fill them, the wage goes up. This means if more liberals would get off their brains, there would be higher paying jobs for the bottom feeders.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,526,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I agree there are people who grew up poor and now are better off. however just using the example of my state even if you are well educated you sometimes can't get out of the way of being low income. should people have to move away from their familys or their homeland to make more money. some do but we shouldn't put the ones who pick to stay in their home state and with their families as prefering to stay poor.
A lot of people move away from the neighborhood they grew up on. I did, I didn't actually move away for more money but other reasons. Yes living next door to the parents or moving away to seek out a career is a choice. You can't expect that opportunities are going to get up and find you, you have to find them.

I think living with your parents all your life can be a way to save money too, no mortgage, no rent. Often people get free day care from grandmothers.

Or people decide that somethings matter more to them than money. They want the rural life more than the big city and higher pay. Sometimes the independence of rural life matters more than higher paychecks.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:06 PM

378 posts, read 624,307 times
What do you mean it's a choice? My whole family is still looking for jobs, since getting fired. Even when we do have jobs, and get payed, that pay goes toward bills and food, then we don't have much money left. It's not our fault, at least we work for the money we get.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times
Not everyone is ambitious enough to WANT to move up the ladder. Some are content to just do a superior job...at the job they're doing.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Ahhhh, you don't have health care at the moment. So what if you're one of those unfortunate people who develop a rare and terminal cancer, or what if you're unfortunate enough to fall and break your back and become paralized, now WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR MEDICAL CARE? Medicaid and other forms of public assistance. First you'll go to a Public County Hospital emergency room. WHO DO YOU THINK PAYS FOR THAT?

The VERY FACT that you do not have health care insurance IS YOUR ACTION WHICH PROVES THAT YOU DO, IN FACT, EXPECT THE PUBLIC TO TAKE CARE OF YOU IF YOU HAVE SOME CATOSTROPHIC ILLNESS OR INJURY.
Insurance is a form of welfare--if you use the benefits thereof, because you end up taking out more than you personally put in. You're taking advantage of people who don't need the benefits...you might even say that you're STEALING from them.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 19,452 times
This reply is for MARQUIS. I dont think you make us sick I think people just flat out dont like your kind. You dont have health insurance so if you get "lets say" cancer you promise not to ask for govt. assistant and take it like a man and we will respect your oppion. As for now, you are wasting our time. People like you, are always closet hypocrits. Everything is good until it happens to you.

Last edited by aharvey; 05-18-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies