Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Because it is so much easier than busting butt to become successful.

People that actually work for a living don't generally become rich, it's the ones who let other people work FOR them that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
People that actually work for a living don't generally become rich, it's the ones who let other people work FOR them that do.
Maybe so but being rich as opposed to his question "why do people choose to be poor" is quite different.
People can in fact work really hard and make a nice living. While not rich they are certainly not poor! Also people who are good savers even on a relatively modest salary can enjoy a nice life as well.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I have noted, as Woody Guthry observed, that "them that work the hardest are the least provided".

Most people do as best thay can with what they got. Many have not got very much and never did. They do not choose poverty, they are stuck with it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times
Talking why do so many people choose to be poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.

Troll

Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Yes!!!!.......

I work right on the rig too but, you are right.

As long as you are only making money for others, you become limited.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,676,889 times
How does the OPs point of view account for religious forms of poverty, for the sake of their immortal souls? Not all poverty is bad or made by bad choices.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM

352 posts, read 187,078 times
Quote:
Yes, plus the added benefit (to society) of non-entrepreneurs (employees) getting hired and paid. Win-Win-Win situation all around (biz-man benefits, employee benefits and society benefits)

Ain't capitalism GREAT!!!???? Yes, it IS.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have noted, as Woody Guthry observed, that "them that work the hardest are the least provided".

Most people do as best thay can with what they got. Many have not got very much and never did. They do not choose poverty, they are stuck with it.
Guthrie's observation holds true ONLY under one, narrowly-defined set of circumstances, to wit, that you consider "work", as in "work the hardest" only to encompase brute physical labor.

Obviously brute physical labor doesn't (and properly doesn't) pay much, and never will.

However, a brain surgeon who spends hours hunched over a patient, focusing with all his mental powers to repair whatever damage exists, is also working incredibly hard, but does so for a nice piece of coin.

Accordingly, the Guthrie quote has only the most limited applicability, and certainly anything but universal trueness.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,676,889 times
In my opinion, poverty and being poor has more to do with structural forms of friction in the market for labor. Consider how many people would be in poverty or be poor, if they were required to be hired if they want to work (in a hypothetical right to work State).

Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Show me a poor person, and 9 times out of 10, I'll be able to show you a worthless, lazy bum, or at the best, an ambitionless-wasterel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies