Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Because their "community leaders" make a buck and gain power over telling them they are victims. As long people think they are victims, the "leaders" can continue to make money/get power/attention. If poor people didn't need them anymore what would those so-called leaders do? The Democrats have learned this as well. As long as people depend on them for welfare, food stamps, housing, they get to stay in office so it's best not to encourage them to better themselves.

Personally, I don't think Obama and the Democrats in Congress want to put anyone back to work. As long as people need them for housing/food stamps/welfare and unemployment extensions they'll keep voting Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
That is right but the question is why did they choose to stay in that position
Choose to stay in that position? How will they change their position, exactly? They have to eat and don't have resources or savings to pick up and move and look for a better position or get higher education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Are you saying poor people are retared (sic) and can not improve
No, I'm not saying that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Why? conditioned behavior, shaped by government handouts.

Also lulled into a 'this bubble can never burst attitude with no warning from trusted government legislators chosen to be the watchdogs that protect consumers.

We also have to thank that portion of the MA electorate that gave us this vigilant and ferocious watchdog.
Yes, that's a convenient right-wing excuse, 'government is to blame for the poor.' I hate to break it to you but there have been poor people all through human history -- long before government "handouts" to help the poor.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Poverty is a result of circumstance not choice. No one chooses to be poor. They just do not know of any way to avoid it or are too depressed to try.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poverty is a result of circumstance not choice. No one chooses to be poor. They just do not know of any way to avoid it or are too depressed to try.
Exactly.

Most bankruptcies in the U.S. are due to medical bills. Just think of a person with cancer who is so sick that can no longer work and are building medical bills that wipe out all savings and credit, leaving the family with debts.

Why did they choose to get cancer?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
One answer is they did not pray hard enough or give the church enough money so God is punishu-ing them. They must be sinners!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Some don't choose to be poor. I have a bachelor of science in flight operations, plus an additional 3 years of flight training and every civilian flight certificate one can attain. I'm am a gainfully employed airline pilot. Yet, I'm on public assistance and can barely keep my head above water. They have sliced and diced our wages and benefits in this industry rather than raise ticket prices to where they should be. Therefore, my family pays the price. Plus, they are going to furlough several hundred of us later this fall. I didn't plan this, it was imposed upon me. I wasn't supposed to happen this way, it just happened. Some people try to make the responsible and smart decisions and choices, and still get screwed. Your view is too simplistic and black and white. Life, on the other hand, has a lot of gray areas.
Typical entitlement victim mentality.
You made the choice to enter a low paying career fully informed, didn't you?
You chose to get on food stamps rather than find a higher paying career, right professor?
Nobody "sliced and diced" your wages. You took a job flying big shiney airplanes for a regional airline that undercut the salaries of seasoned aviation professionals.
You are the one doing the screwing. Nursing off food stamps, seat grabbing jobs built by real aviation professionals.
Someone gives you a snappy uniform and a shiney plane so you can cry us all a river about poor you? You're a disgrace to the industry and to America.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
You chose to get on food stamps rather than find a higher paying career, right professor?
Nobody "sliced and diced" your wages. You took a job flying big shiney airplanes for a regional airline that undercut the salaries of seasoned aviation professionals.
You are the one doing the screwing. Nursing off food stamps, seat grabbing jobs built by real aviation professionals.
Someone gives you a snappy uniform and a shiney plane so you can cry us all a river about poor you? You're a disgrace to the industry and to America.
Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth?
Nope, sorry Sport. Put myself through college. Enjoy my life and don't make excuses. It's all about free will, choices and being accountable.

Last edited by amerifree; 11-15-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Dear sociopath,

Please get help for your anger issues, before we end up hearing about you on CNN for the wrong reasons.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
One answer is they did not pray hard enough or give the church enough money so God is punishu-ing them. They must be sinners!
Be careful. You'll upset the CD "bad decision" police and they'll drag you away, tie you to a chair and force you to watch Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies