Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:41 AM

100 posts, read 330,659 times

Advertisements

Seriously, some people have more vested in our country than others. While I do believe everyone should have a vote, shouldn't a home owner's vote count for 2 while an unemployed wino's vote only count for 1?

Criteria for more points of your vote could amount to clear titles for things. Let's say you get 1 point for simply being a citizen. You get additional points for:

being married
having a job (no matter how small)
each child
each degree (starting with High School)
each piece of real estate (you gotta pay your taxes on it)
being bi-lingual (speaking a second language is good for all Americans)
being a veteran

Quick example: with just this criteria, an employed married High school graduate with 2 children ----their vote would be worth 5

There may be additional criteria where points could be added (or perhaps even subtracted). But the conversation is worth having.

Any Thoughts??

Daffy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,646,415 times
Why not just go back to the days when only white male property owners could vote?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,459,859 times
The problem is with uninformed voters. You can have a Phd and million bucks, and married with five kids, but that doesn't mean you'll be a better voter. I know many friends who are extremely bright who never got a bachelor's degree and can only speak english. I myself am single college grad who can speak four languages. But that doesn't mean I should have more rights in society than anyone else.

Honestly, I've wished we could have people register to vote every election after taking a brief test on the year's important issues and the candidates. But there's no fair way to do that, and it would be too open to exploitation. One person one vote is the best way. Just encourage uninformed voters to get informed or stay home.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,672,025 times
AMEN!!! On the pre-voting test. Also, if you don't pay taxes, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. No Representation without Taxation.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,942,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffysentry View Post
Seriously, some people have more vested in our country than others. While I do believe everyone should have a vote, shouldn't a home owner's vote count for 2 while an unemployed wino's vote only count for 1?

Criteria for more points of your vote could amount to clear titles for things. Let's say you get 1 point for simply being a citizen. You get additional points for:

being married
having a job (no matter how small)
each child
each degree (starting with High School)
each piece of real estate (you gotta pay your taxes on it)
being bi-lingual (speaking a second language is good for all Americans)
being a veteran

Quick example: with just this criteria, an employed married High school graduate with 2 children ----their vote would be worth 5

There may be additional criteria where points could be added (or perhaps even subtracted). But the conversation is worth having.

Any Thoughts??

Daffy
Married homeowning families can be some of the most out of touch folks in politics and monetary policy. Just look at how the RE Ponzi scheme is unfolding now. Bunch of dummies...also, housing is heavily subsidized by the gubmint, who's to say it wouldn't be even more subsidized if you weigh a "homeowners" vote more?

No, you weigh the vote on the person's understanding of the issues. You make the test hard or impossible to "test ahead" for, and hard to impossible for R/D campaigns to get out the vote by getting people to study just to the test. Basically, randomized questions, further randomized by the polling place. The test should include monetary policy and foreign geography. If you're a minority tool for the Dems who chooses not to read about these topics, low vote weight. If you're a redneck who is obsessed with bombing everyone who can't find Iraq on a map, your vote is weighed less. Keeps the useful idiots out of the loop.

I challenge anyone to find the absolute right to vote for EVERY non-felon/ex-felon American in the Constitution.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,463,513 times
A farmers' vote should weigh high up on the scale then....

At least it's known among farmers what a wooden nickel is....

Old 08-24-2008, 08:56 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,822,284 times
Im from Florida. I'd be happy to know they were all counted correctly for once.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,653,641 times
Considering the scandals over the current voting system (tampered machines, handing chads, etc.) I don't think making the process more complicated is the way to go.

If you support a "test" to vote then you open yourself to be on the losing end of that at some point depending on who is creating the test. Whether you like it or not, this country was founded on "all men are created equal" not "all men are created equal if......."

Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,942,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Considering the scandals over the current voting system (tampered machines, handing chads, etc.) I don't think making the process more complicated is the way to go.

If you support a "test" to vote then you open yourself to be on the losing end of that at some point depending on who is creating the test. Whether you like it or not, this country was founded on "all men are created equal" not "all men are created equal if......."
Again, no challenge to the fact that the Constitution does not guarantee the right to vote, only that it cannot be denied specifically on the base of gender or race. I see few fighting for ex-felons' supposed right to vote, unless they're to be a tool for a particular party's best interest.

If a test is completely randomized and the questions cover a broad spectrum of topics from monetary theory to foreign policy history (just like a citizenship test few challenge, btw). The pool of questions should be sufficiently large so no advocate group can prepare minority tools for the left or the stupid redneck tools of the right to "study to the test", or at least this could make it extremely costly and inefficient.

Everyone is indeed created equal. If that someone chooses not to use their privilege to read up at a taxpayer subsidized county library at no cost, they give up their privilege (read: NOT right) to vote. Creation of equality does not infer the maintaining of equality if they choose to be intellectually lazy.

Incidentally, I would support ex-felons regaining their privilege to vote provided they would pass this hypothetical test.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,653,641 times
Quote:
If a test is completely randomized and the questions cover a broad spectrum of topics from monetary theory to foreign policy history (just like a citizenship test few challenge, btw)
Sure that sounds nice in theory, however it would not be reality. Someone, somewhere would figure out a way to skew the test in their favor. History has proven this to be true don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies