Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmos View Post
Originally Posted by iq140
Is Population Growth a Problem in the World?

iq140: I think your going to find native Population "crash" in many western countrys in the future and the many problems that will arises from it are things to think about. Many may hate the guy and I don't agree with many of his political views but I believe he wrote a great book about Population scientific treads in many Western countrys is Patrick J. Buchanans "The Death of the West" Great book to pick up.

Another good book to pick up and read if your brave enough is Mark Steyn's "America Alone"
Would you care to bring up some of Mr.Buchanan's ideas? Sometimes he seems a bit biased, but at other times, such as his reservations on business taking over our government, he is right on target and more outspoken on such issues than most pundits.

I like Pat but consider the source when he speaks of black candidates and some Jewish issues.
Truthfully, there is no one with whom I agree totally on every issue.
Richardson is a dream, but for his glaring stand on illegals.

So, if you can remember some claim of Pat's it might be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How many of you are willing to voluntarily reduce the world's population by one, to help reach what you think is such a laudable goal?
My thought exactly, if those who actually believe that there is a population growth problem were serious, they would do their part and start an organization, pick a date and drink the Kool aid!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:01 PM

90 posts, read 209,621 times
Originally Posted by Patmos

iq140: I think your going to find native Population "crash" in many western countrys in the future and the many problems that will arises from it are things to think about. Many may hate the guy and I don't agree with many of his political views but I believe he wrote a great book about Population scientific treads in many Western countrys is Patrick J. Buchanans "The Death of the West" Great book to pick up.

Another good book to pick up and read if your brave enough is Mark Steyn's "America Alone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Would you care to bring up some of Mr.Buchanan's ideas? Sometimes he seems a bit biased, but at other times, such as his reservations on business taking over our government, he is right on target and more outspoken on such issues than most pundits.

I like Pat but consider the source when he speaks of black candidates and some Jewish issues.
Truthfully, there is no one with whom I agree totally on every issue.
Richardson is a dream, but for his glaring stand on illegals.

So, if you can remember some claim of Pat's it might be interesting.

goldengrain: No problem: After thinking about it, saying "I don't agree with many of his political views" is a little to much on my part. I think Patrick J. Buchanan and many others persons in the land are not happy with the northern and southern borders of this land for the past 20 years. Large amounts of dope and contraband flood into this country through the borders that I believe the Federal government could do alot better at stopping alot of this from happening. Not 100% but alot better than what is going on now. I think there is alot of corruption in the Democrat and Republican partys in D.C. and in the Mexican government for why this has been allowed to go on for so long. The border agents are doing a great job and not putting them down.

I agree with him that it is not sustainable that the U.S. has many agreements world wide to come to the rescue of many countrys that if they are attacked. Many countrys need to start spending alot more money on themselves for their own defence like Japan.

As for as Patrick J. Buchanan views on the Israelis I don't believe he is a raciest or is anti Israel. I think he has ideas to problems in the middle east that are complected. I am glad that the Jews have been back in their ancestral homeland for many years and that there a place for a Jew to go if one likes. The Jews have been horribly treated in many places in the world for centuries at no falt of their own and now have a more safe place on the earth to protect themselves against racists. Sometimes persons or countrys are hated at no falt of their own and when a country like the U.S. chooses to put themselves on the line and be a friend to a country like the Israelis that shows character. The U.S. may have a less judgment from the wrath of the Lamb that is coming in the future on the whole earth.

I agree with Patrick J. Buchanan about protecting U.S. jobs and trying to get manufacturing back up and running in the land but as a country we are addicted to cheep goods from China. Putting large tariffs on imported goods is not going to really work.

Last edited by Patmos; 08-25-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
If people would simply stop the nonthinking breeding, we could start correcting things.
Eureka! You've finally cracked it. You've solved all the problems of humanity.

"If only people would . . . . . . .

Why didn't anybody ever think of that solution before. That's all people have to do, and everything will be just fine.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmos View Post
Originally Posted by Patmos

goldengrain: No problem: After thinking about it, saying "I don't agree with many of his political views" is a little to much on my part. I think Patrick J. Buchanan and many others persons in the land are not happy with the northern and southern borders of this land for the past 20 years. Large amounts of dope and contraband flood into this country through the borders that I believe the Federal government could do alot better at stopping alot of this from happening. Not 100% but alot better than what is going on now. I think there is alot of corruption in the Democrat and Republican partys in D.C. and in the Mexican government for why this has been allowed to go own for so long. The border agents are doing a great job and not putting them down.

I agree with him that it is not sustainable that the U.S. has many agreements world wide to come to the rescue of many countrys that if they are attacked. Many countrys need to start spending alot more money on themselves for their own defence like Japan.
There have been stories, from way back in the 60's, of one or the other of our military/quasi-secret agencies bringing drugs into the US to finance black ops. During the Sandanista Affair the CIA was caught doing this. Currently, reporters are not allowed near planes coming back from the war with bodies of troops. We are told it is because the government does not like the public relations effect of the pictures of caskets lined up, but when one of those planes crashed and a casket broke it was full of drugs. Then, before the US entered Afghanistan there was very little drug production. After we entered the country it became the world's greatest producer of poppy-derived drugs. When Bush first came to the Presidency he said one of the first things he intended to do was stop the inspection of trucks coming and going across the Mexican border. People thought it was too encouraging for illegal smuggling, but many think that is not the whole story.
If we legalized drugs we would take the profit out and the corrupting of our officials. Many people who protest the legalization of drugs use the moral precepts of religion and patriotism in their objections, but may really be in some way benefiting or approve of the action.
When Reagan was elected he promised the American people that he would end the drug trafficking, he would explore and get to the bottom of the problem. After much time, all he and his wife came up with was that lame 'Just say No' campaign. I am sure the guy tried.
There are evidently elements in our government that are manipulating public opinion to do things against our own interests. They use patriotism and religion to do so. In a way we are supporting the very things we hate.

Yes. I agree. Much of the reason why some countries have better schools and social services is because they do not support an expensive military through their taxes. We like being the most powerful. But if business is leaving the US for labor elsewhere we should no longer be serving their ends with our tax dollars. There was some sci-fi thing that gave us a future world in which mega corporations would have their own mercinary troops and people would no longer feel loyalty to their country, but to their company.

I keep posting this because it seems so prescient of the direction we are going in today:
[SIZE=2]

We used to call the Soviets the evil empire, but now that they are not there it sometimes seems as though we are turning into the corrupting influence in the world.

I don't know where this will all end, but it does not look good.
[/SIZE]

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
The population bomb theory has been discredited. In 1968, Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich wrote a book called The Population Bomb. It predicted a global apocalypse in the coming years, including mass starvation in the 100s of millions in the 1970s due to over population and lack of food production as well as an energy shortage to leading to running out of oil by 1983. These dire predictions didn't happen, partially because Mr Ehrlich didn't recognize the affect technological advancement in agriculture would have in increasing food production. While population growth can be a problem, world population growth rates are decreasing and demographers predict world population will stabilize around 2050 or so. I'm not a pollyanna and believe starvation can still happen, but it's more likely because of incompetent government policies such as you see in North Korea.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The population bomb theory has been discredited. In 1968, Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich wrote a book called The Population Bomb. It predicted a global apocalypse in the coming years, including mass starvation in the 100s of millions in the 1970s due to over population and lack of food production as well as an energy shortage to leading to running out of oil by 1983. These dire predictions didn't happen, partially because Mr Ehrlich didn't recognize the affect technological advancement in agriculture would have in increasing food production. While population growth can be a problem, world population growth rates are decreasing and demographers predict world population will stabilize around 2050 or so. I'm not a pollyanna and believe starvation can still happen, but it's more likely because of incompetent government policies such as you see in North Korea.
The US Census Bureau of world population growth does not agree with you: International Data Base (IDB) - World Population
The world population is projected to grow from 6 billion in 1999 to 9 billion by 2040, an increase of 50 percent is expected to require 41 years. What they do say is that the rate of growth is slowing.

A dip in the growth rate from1959-1960 was due to the Great Leap Forward in China. During that time, both natural disasters and decreased agricultural output in the wake of massive social reorganization caused China's death rate to rise sharply and its fertility rate to fall by almost half.

I can see the confusion taken from the page I reference because the last chart, which appears to be indicating a declining population is actually showing the RATE of change as declining, although the word 'rate' is not included.

I saw an interview with Bill Gates concerning his charitable foundation. There was a comment that while it is certainly good to heal people, it is also increasing the population of such countries, places in which they cannot now support people adequately. (The Clinton effort is advancing hunger and sustainability in populations). Mr. Gates said, if I got him correctly, that when populations become more healthy and able to sustain themselves they tend to have smaller families, one reason being that people actually could sometimes save or start a small family business which gave them some expectation of security in their futures.

From what I have seen, exporting jobs to countries like India is actually benefiting their middle class - people who could afford an education. These are people who might otherwise have moved to the UK or US for work, but are staying home because there are now jobs. The poor are not being benefited all that much from the new found wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies