Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
This is just the way China works, up to 1 million people were displaced for the Olympics....
I also read that the water supply was cut off from outlying farm communities and diverted to olympic activities, ruining the crops of thousands of farmers.

I'd rather not have the olympics in my country if we can't pull it off without ruining people's livelihoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Bob,

I totally get that you want facts from a credible source, and not just news stories. And there is so much bias in the media today, I understand your frustration. But I don't live in China, and I don't have access to first-hand reports. Moreover, in a society like China where the government is able to control access to its citizens, I don't think many of us have the ability to hear first hand what is happening there. We have to filter through the media, and, to a certain extent, trust in them. In this particular case, we have a lot of concensus between different media outlets, outlets all along the political spectrum. We know that the IOC negotiated with the Chinese government to establish venues for protest, venues that the government could control and manage. And they controlled them so well that there were no protests. Even in a Shangri-La there are going to be some people with complaints and issues. This is the most populous country in the world, billions of people, with all the problems that any modern country has, and not one person was allowed to make use of those venues. You have issued with HRW, but you don't have any issues with the credibility of the Chinese government when they say the few people who wanted to protest got their problems solved, so no protests? If you set up venues in Italy for protesters, do you think no one would show up? Or France or India or South Africa? So the question is what did the Chinese government do to keep people from protesting? And the few reports we have suggest that the government relocated known activists to places away from Beijing in advance of the Olympics, that they used bureaucracy and intimidation to discourage the few protesters left, and when the bureaucracy and intimidation were insufficient, they detained and arrested the petioners. Agreed, the reports we have are slim on facts, but that's not because reporters don't want answers, but because the Chinese government is not answering.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
DC

I asked a simple question:

Can anyone think of a scenario that would justify locking up a 79 year old person?

The answer is that is how things are done in China.

That answer seems to be good for many who have their knowledge of China and what they have read. I just happen not to buy it based on my experience, what I have seen and what I know.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Bob,

I can't think of anyone's experience and knowledge you should rely on more than your own. But when you are halfway around the world, is there any news source that has any credibility for you?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bob,

I can't think of anyone's experience and knowledge you should rely on more than your own. But when you are halfway around the world, is there any news source that has any credibility for you?
DC

I do appreciate the civility you have shown through this discussion BTW.

I watch them all: Fox, CNN, CNBC, BBC, Sky, Aljazeera, CCTV and the Italians too.

I try to contrast the stories to see what makes sense. Believe it or not, Aljazeera English has cleaned up its act in the last year. They once had a ticker that went by that just said Americans Kill Women and Children with no preceding or following story.

I have not seen any reference to this 79 year old ladies story. Perhaps I missed it or perhaps it is not properly documented enough for them to report. I don't know.

To answer your question, they all have some truth to them. Its the curve balls you need to watch out for. Even the news story from AP about the 79 year olds has some truth. That is what makes a good lie. I believe they are 79, got displaced and got sent up the pokey. It is the other details we are not getting that are missing.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Likewise. Thank you for enlightening me.

arctichomesteader is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.
And you are the biggest cheerleader for the Chicoms that I've ever encountered. It is beyond me why you would start a thread that highlights the human rights abuses for which the PRC is rightly criticized by the international community, and then use the facts to bash other people who are simply stating the obvious.

These old ladies had the never to object to confiscatory policies, so the Chinese authorities simply put them away.

Gulag redux. No big deal.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And you are the biggest cheerleader for the Chicoms that I've ever encountered. It is beyond me why you would start a thread that highlights the human rights abuses for which the PRC is rightly criticized by the international community, and then use the facts to bash other people who are simply stating the obvious.

These old ladies had the never to object to confiscatory policies, so the Chinese authorities simply put them away.

Gulag redux. No big deal.
Yeledaf is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Yeledaf is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.
And Hillary Clinton looks a lot like Anglea Lansbury.

And Bob and Laurence Harvey are twins.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Am I thinking of someone else or has Bob the Builder said in the past that he's actually Chinese?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quite simply, if a 17, 27, or 79 yr old breaks a law which requires arrest and jail, I don't care. Slam the door!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies