Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times

Advertisements

Two elderly women sentenced to year's labour over Olympics protest | Sport | guardian.co.uk

The facts as stated in this article seem a bit light.

I need to ask.

Why in the heck China would choose to lock up two old ladies during the Olympics?

This is a property dispute exactly like Eminent Domain. The resolution in the USA would be cash. The property owner can grumble, but in the end, it is just a dollar sign solution. Presumably, Beijing offered them cash too. Not enough?

The Chinese would surely have been motivated to pay big money to avoid this special circumstance. It does not make sense as stated.

How did this escalate to having to pop THESE ladies in the pokey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Age doesn't really matter. The whole "I'm not going to put you in jail becuase your too old" psychology doesn't work with me. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Regardless of what country it is.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Age doesn't really matter. The whole "I'm not going to put you in jail becuase your too old" psychology doesn't work with me. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Regardless of what country it is.
Cal

I agree. I do not cut ANY slack for age either unless they were perhaps Alzheimer types. I was just rhetorically asking this question as I cannot understand the lock up based on what the article says alone.

The headline
Two elderly women sentenced to year's labour over Olympics protest | Sport | guardian.co.uk

is not by accident

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-27-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 12:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Based on the "facts" in your link, there was no relationship to their protest and the olympics other than the timing of the protest zones and these ladies application. It is likely that there was no avenue for their protest earlier so they took this opportunity.

Based on the response they got, I also believe they have been making a nuisance of themselves since 2001 to these authorities and the authorities finally got fed up with them.

The reaction is not consistent with our legal system, but it is very normal in theirs. Age is not a factor, nor should it be. It the system is applicable to one, it should be applicable to all. If it is unfair, then that should be addressed separately according to the proscribed process in their system.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post

Based on the response they got, I also believe they have been making a nuisance of themselves since 2001 to these authorities and the authorities finally got fed up with them.

The reaction is not consistent with our legal system, but it is very normal in theirs.
I guess it all depends on what they did. Did they pull a Zsa Zsa and slap someone?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
>Based on the response they got, I also believe they have been making a nuisance of themselves since 2001 to these authorities and the authorities finally got fed up with them.<

True or not. I wonder how much of the mainstream media picked up or looked into this information.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Based on the response they got, I also believe they have been making a nuisance of themselves since 2001 to these authorities and the authorities finally got fed up with them.<

True or not. I wonder how much of the mainstream media picked up or looked into this information.
This is a hot potato. Hard for any main stream journalist to benefit taking either side on this. It is hard to prove what really happened and costly too.

I just read between the lines and have to ask if this whole thing makes any sense. Or is this just another hit piece. HRW propaganda?

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-27-2008 at 05:44 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post

The facts as stated in this article seem a bit light.

I need to ask.

Why in the heck China would choose to lock up two old ladies during the Olympics?

This is a property dispute exactly like Eminent Domain. The resolution in the USA would be cash. The property owner can grumble, but in the end, it is just a dollar sign solution. Presumably, Beijing offered them cash too. Not enough?

The Chinese would surely have been motivated to pay big money to avoid this special circumstance. It does not make sense as stated.

How did this escalate to having to pop THESE ladies in the pokey?
This is just the way China works, up to 1 million people were displaced for the Olympics, on one news story about this the reporter was told not to engage in any conversation about the government with the people for they could be arrested and sent to prison or simply dissapear.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
This is just the way China works, up to 1 million people were displaced for the Olympics, on one news story about this the reporter was told not to engage in any conversation about the government with the people for they could be arrested and sent to prison or simply dissapear.
I see. It is all clear to me now. Thanks for providing all that indisputable proof and documentation.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
There are no individual rights in China as far as its government is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies