Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against legalization of Marijuana?
Yes 45 73.77%
No 13 21.31%
undecided 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Your view would be fine, if private people could be depended upon to keep their plant or their dog under control. But some people cannot be, and a noxious weed seed can blow out the window or attach to your clothing when you go out. They are noxious precisely because they have evolved such ingenious means of slipping about in spite of adversity.

Do you want to live next door to a guy with a bunch of trained killer dogs, on the assurance that he will not let them get away when your kids are playing outside? Or a tiger?

Would you argue that its a totalitarian and unjust law that people cannot keep anthrax or smallpox or windex cultures in their home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 PM

146 posts, read 350,215 times
Though I find the ideas of training dogs to kill people or keeping a tiger in captivity cruel, dangerous, and unethical, as I said before, this tangent is becoming a largely irrelevant digression.

Marijuana does not aggressively spread and destroy crops or fertile land. Furthermore, it makes no sense to compare a plant with hundreds of beneficial uses to instruments of germ warfare.

I use cannabis for multiple reasons. It helps with certain disorders I have, and honestly, I like to get high. The government should have no right to throw me in prison because I choose to use an herb arbitrarily decided to be a "killer drug" by authoritarian racist government fat cats in the 1930's and have a war waged against this herb by liars and fearmongers in the latter part of the 20th century.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 PM

My response was to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
It's insane for the government to try to ban and eradicate a plant.
I answered to that unqualified and unelaborated point.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
It's insane for the government to try to ban and eradicate a plant.
True. Whatever the government bans it loses control over it. It's easy to undeniably prove that point because narcs estimate they only confiscate 10% of the illegal drug market.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:51 PM

500 posts, read 910,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your view would be fine, if private people could be depended upon to keep their plant or their dog under control. But some people cannot be, and a noxious weed seed can blow out the window or attach to your clothing when you go out. They are noxious precisely because they have evolved such ingenious means of slipping about in spite of adversity.

Do you want to live next door to a guy with a bunch of trained killer dogs, on the assurance that he will not let them get away when your kids are playing outside? Or a tiger?

Would you argue that its a totalitarian and unjust law that people cannot keep anthrax or smallpox or windex cultures in their home?
Weed is as dangerous as a crazed animal or a killer bacteria, thanks for the insight.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
I use cannabis for multiple reasons. It helps with certain disorders I have, and honestly, I like to get high. The government should have no right to throw me in prison because I choose to use an herb arbitrarily decided to be a "killer drug" by authoritarian racist government fat cats in the 1930's and have a war waged against this herb by liars and fearmongers in the latter part of the 20th century.
You can always spot a pothead in a crowd. He will be wearing sunglasses to protect his sensitive eyes from the sun and his pants will be crusted with semen from constantly jacking-off when he can't find a rape victim.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You can always spot a pothead in a crowd. He will be wearing sunglasses to protect his sensitive eyes from the sun and his pants will be crusted with semen from constantly jacking-off when he can't find a rape victim.
You should be ashamed for making such a tasteless remark.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i am against illegal anything. i am very very anti illegal.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
Weed is as dangerous as a crazed animal or a killer bacteria, thanks for the insight.
What does the word "Weed" mean in your statement. I made no reference whatsoever to marijuana in my comment, so if that is what you referenced, your comment is a pointless non-sequitur. I addressed the danger of plants on the schedule of noxious weeds, determined to be harmful to the agricultural economy of the state, and as such, are deemed to be to dangerous to be left uncontrolled. If you have never lived in a place where the economy was dependent on the success of the regional agriculture, I cannot expect you to understand the relevance of such a prohibition.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-30-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM

500 posts, read 910,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What does the word "Weed" mean in your statement. I made no reference whatsoever to marijuana in my comment, so if that is what you referenced, your comment is a pointless non-sequitur. I addressed the danger of plants on the schedule of noxious weeds, determined to be harmful to the agricultural economy of the state, and as such, are deemed to be to dangerous to be left uncontrolled. If you have never lived in a place where the economy was dependent on the success of the regional agriculture, I cannot expect you to understand the relevance of such a prohibition.
Put down the bong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies