U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,359 times

Advertisements

The government of Cape Coral has always been a joke amongst locals. Just take a little time to find out how many current and former elected officials are and/or have been in jail, are under indictment or are being investigated.

In my own case, the joke is becoming quite serious. The city is about to foreclose on my house because I can't afford to hook up to the scandal-ridden sewage system that was recently installed in my neighborhood. It's all quite legal. Morality, of course, is a separate issue.

Below is a letter that I sent to my "representative" on the city council, and cc'd to various state and federal representatives. I expect the response to be nil, but at least I had a chance to get my ya-yas out.

--------------------

Alex LePera
City Council
February 1, 2007

Ms LePera:

I just wanted to write and thank you and your fellow council members. I've been told that in two weeks the city will be foreclosing on my house unless I'm hooked up to the utilities expansion that you folks rammed down our throats. I have $22 in my bank account and no prospect for raising the necessary funds within the next few months, unless my family goes without food and electricity. Thanks to the City of Cape Coral, I and my family will be joining the homeless. I've talked with others and have found out that we will not be alone. Is there any chance that we can open a tent city on your front lawn?

I've worked hard all of my life, oftentimes at two jobs. Having watched politicians at work, I should have realized that trying to do the right thing would never get me ahead. The trouble is, I could never bring myself to bully, threaten and punish those less fortunate than me. It's sad to see that the City of Cape Coral has no such qualms. Steal all the money you can from honest working people, dole it out to your personal friends in the construction business until the scandal hits, then offer faint excuses and foreclosure notices. Business as usual.

As far as I'm concerned, the American Dream is on its death bed, and the City of Cape Coral is helping to pull the plug.

Signed,

John H. Holmes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:40 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,353,816 times
Did you submit this to the News Press, also?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 AM

159 posts, read 509,966 times
Better yet did you do your homework before you bought? First thing I asked when I bought here was about city water a sewar and what areas where hooked up already.

9 out of 10 times people put the cart before the horse and blame there lack of investigating on someone else.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,872 times
Doesnt this belong in "Florida"?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,026,247 times
I don't live in Cape Coral and was not familiar with the hook ups, but it took me only about 45 seconds and Google to discover that the City of Cape Coral will put the hookup fees on your annual tax bill to be paid back over an 18 year period. Further, if you cannot pay your taxes, including the amortized payment option, Lee County will place your tax bill in the process used for others to pay your taxes and place a lien against your house. Under this process, it is possible for someone to request a tax deed, in which case your house would go up for Sheriff's sale. This is a process that takes several years.

I could find no provision in the Cape Coral process for foreclosure. In fact, since only the mortgage holder can foreclose, that procedure can't be used by the City. They can only place a lien against the property.

I suspect that your problem is that you really don't understand what is going on.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 AM

I agree and these options where posted with you when it first came out, but then again most people don't read the whole item or investigate other options.

Granted it is a big nut and most peole don'y have 18K ( not the 22k when it first came out) first just laying around.

I would love to see the responce letter the city sends him back with the options that are available. The last thing any city wants is a home to foreclose and off the tax rolls.

I just don't get it There are such things as home equity lines of credit also to homeowners though there bank if they want to pay it off in full.

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
RDL

1 posts, read 3,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizoman View Post
The government of Cape Coral has always been a joke amongst locals. Just take a little time to find out how many current and former elected officials are and/or have been in jail, are under indictment or are being investigated.

In my own case, the joke is becoming quite serious. The city is about to foreclose on my house because I can't afford to hook up to the scandal-ridden sewage system that was recently installed in my neighborhood. It's all quite legal. Morality, of course, is a separate issue.

Below is a letter that I sent to my "representative" on the city council, and cc'd to various state and federal representatives. I expect the response to be nil, but at least I had a chance to get my ya-yas out.

--------------------

Alex LePera
City Council
February 1, 2007

Ms LePera:

I just wanted to write and thank you and your fellow council members. I've been told that in two weeks the city will be foreclosing on my house unless I'm hooked up to the utilities expansion that you folks rammed down our throats. I have $22 in my bank account and no prospect for raising the necessary funds within the next few months, unless my family goes without food and electricity. Thanks to the City of Cape Coral, I and my family will be joining the homeless. I've talked with others and have found out that we will not be alone. Is there any chance that we can open a tent city on your front lawn?

I've worked hard all of my life, oftentimes at two jobs. Having watched politicians at work, I should have realized that trying to do the right thing would never get me ahead. The trouble is, I could never bring myself to bully, threaten and punish those less fortunate than me. It's sad to see that the City of Cape Coral has no such qualms. Steal all the money you can from honest working people, dole it out to your personal friends in the construction business until the scandal hits, then offer faint excuses and foreclosure notices. Business as usual.

As far as I'm concerned, the American Dream is on its death bed, and the City of Cape Coral is helping to pull the plug.

Signed,
John H. Holmes
I would like to know when Mr. Holmes is going to publish the council member's response?

You see I know the council member did respond to him a couple of months ago. Unfortunately Mr. Holmes has not been honest enough with you to publish her response. I wonder why that is....

R. LePera

Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM

That makes 2 of us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or