Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who really cares as long as no one is still not dieing of Mad Cow disease in America? But if you're nevertheless scared then hold those Republicans responsible by voting them out of office.
I had lunch a few weeks ago with a friend of mine and she told me that a cousin of hers was in the hospital for "mad cow disease". I didn't believe her because I thought we solved that problem. She said he was bad off and the docs wanted to pull the plug but his wife didn't want. I will have to check with her to find out if he is still living. Of course she told me this while I was munching on a burger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Competition! America slanders opposition as well
LOL. So you have fallen back to "the US does it too". Ok, well thankyou for accepting my point that many foreign markets basically try to keep out US products via fearmongering due to free trade laws that prohibit outright bans and excessive tariffs.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I thought this was interesting....

FDA Proposes Additional "Mad Cow" Safeguards (http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2005/new01240.html - broken link)

Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Now usually it is industry that wants to poison consumers with things like lead toys, poisoned pet food and other such nice things and it is usually the government that demands that such things be tested for and kept off store shelves.
But now we have the reverse! Now we have industry wanting to test for an unsafe product and the government, under the Republicans, saying they cannot test for safe products!
It just boggles the mind!! WTF?? And you want another 4 years of THIS?

Feds fight broad testing for mad cow - Mad Cow in the U.S. - MSNBC.com

I agree but is Pelosi and the Dem's in Congress a sleep?
Why give them a free pass.

Seem's they are enablers nothing more . Empty speeches with no action = enabler

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat cows... but it is not good that the government doesn't care about inspecting beef for Mad Cow disease.

And the beef industry donates heavily to Republicans, so it is a fair criticism.

Not long ago there was a scare with vegetables .

NEITHER party cares about inspecting anything because BOTH parties are OWNED by special interest.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I find a lot of the *protests* against US agricultural products to be disingenous and largely driven by farm groups in other countries trying to protect their markets. You can talk about Korea, China, Japan etc. but the bottom line is that the US is an agricultural powerhouse and those countries have vested interests that don't want the US products in there so they label them as inferior, dangerous etc. This is an old old trick and most countries have done something similar in their histories.

A while back Japan wouldn't import American beef because "Their intestines were different" or import American ski's because thier "snow was different".

Mad Cow is an excuse to violate free-trade pacts without retaliation.
-----------

Well said. I was in Korea for close to a year . I would go to non GI towns and non tourist area's to see the country side.

They fertilize some of their farms with human feces . The Cow farm's there are grotesque compared to USA .
Granted I havent gone around comparing every farm here and there.

Ofcourse it's PC for them to demonstrate against us while eating their own brand .
I will eat our cattle before I eat their's any day and feel safe doing so.

I will say this till I found out how some of their farms were fertilized . I found their watermelon best I ever ate lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies