U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,544,588 times

Advertisements

A little known fact: Over 100,000 horses are slaughtered in the US every year in foreign owned plants. Over 90% of these animals are perfectly healthy. The methods used to transport these horses from auction to slaughterhouse, and the method used to kill them are cruel and inhumane. Some horses are farm horses, others expensive racehorses no longer wanted, others are young foals, even pregnant mares caught up in the mess.

Barbaro's injury this year and his sad passing this week has brought a lot of publicity about to try to stop this practice alltogether, resulting in a bill that passed the House of Representatives last year but was stalled in the Senate. It was reintroduced to the house on January 17th. It is called "The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act".

I hope that those of you who love horses and want to stop this cruel practice will let your state reps know how you feel: you can copy and paste this link into your browser for more information about this bill, and an easy link to tell your reps what you think: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_horse_slaughter/na267mw5w (broken link)
These links are for more information regarding the subject:
http://www.barbarocampaignnews.com/linksPage.cfm (broken link)
http://www.horse-protection.org/info.php?id=14
http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=608 (broken link)

Please understand that I am not posting these links to ask for donations in any way, nor am I a member of any group looking for money. I am a horse racing fan that until this year never realized that horses were slaughtered in the US. I am simply trying to bring about awareness, and to ask you if you are passionate about this subject to have your voice heard in the matter.

Also consider that these animals are still useful and many horses have been rescued by groups who go into the auctions and bid agains the kill buyers to bring that horse out of harm's way. These are not broken throw aways, many times these animals go into other homes to excel at their jobs. This is an issue of the throw away mentality some Americans have come to adopt towards our companion animals. Instead of these owners giving their horses a humane death at the hands of a vet, they are being shipped off to a slaughterhouse and killed (not so efficiently) using a device called the "captive bolt". Due to the fact that this is a family oriented forum I will not describe it's use here, you can google it for more information. The meat taken from these animals is not fit for human consumption as horses are fed pesticides, vaccinations, medications which are carcinogenic to humans, antibiotics etc...but yet our airlines ship out this horsemeat for use in foreign countries.

No animal is safe from this practice. Even Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinanad met his end in a slaughterhouse. Sons and grandson's of Seattle Slew and Secretariat have been pulled from kill auctions as well. What people are trying to acheive, now in the name of Barbaro, is for horses to be treated humanely. We are not advocating a vegetarian lifestyle or trying to stop the slaughter of farm animals. We simply believe that the horse is a noble animal, a companion animal, and deserves a better end!

Mods, please let me know if any changes need to be made to allow this to stay.

Last edited by winnie; 02-02-2007 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,222,446 times
Thank you, Winnie.
I have contacted my state reps.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,715,731 times
it's just wrong.

I will contact my states rep as well.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,544,588 times
Thank you both! We hope that this will be the year horse slaughter ends. It would be nice to be able to remember Barbaro for bringing this situation to and end - one last victory for the big guy.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,227,551 times
Exclamation excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
A little known fact: Over 100,000 horses are slaughtered in the US every year in foreign owned plants. Over 90% of these animals are perfectly healthy. The methods used to transport these horses from auction to slaughterhouse, and the method used to kill them are cruel and inhumane. Some horses are farm horses, others expensive racehorses no longer wanted, others are young foals, even pregnant mares caught up in the mess.

Barbaro's injury this year and his sad passing this week has brought a lot of publicity about to try to stop this practice alltogether, resulting in a bill that passed the House of Representatives last year but was stalled in the Senate. It was reintroduced to the house on January 17th. It is called "The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act".

I hope that those of you who love horses and want to stop this cruel practice will let your state reps know how you feel: you can copy and paste this link into your browser for more information about this bill, and an easy link to tell your reps what you think: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_horse_slaughter/na267mw5w (broken link)
These links are for more information regarding the subject:
http://www.barbarocampaignnews.com/linksPage.cfm (broken link)
http://www.horse-protection.org/info.php?id=14
http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=608 (broken link)

Please understand that I am not posting these links to ask for donations in any way, nor am I a member of any group looking for money. I am a horse racing fan that until this year never realized that horses were slaughtered in the US. I am simply trying to bring about awareness, and to ask you if you are passionate about this subject to have your voice heard in the matter.

Also consider that these animals are still useful and many horses have been rescued by groups who go into the auctions and bid agains the kill buyers to bring that horse out of harm's way. These are not broken throw aways, many times these animals go into other homes to excel at their jobs. This is an issue of the throw away mentality some Americans have come to adopt towards our companion animals. Instead of these owners giving their horses a humane death at the hands of a vet, they are being shipped off to a slaughterhouse and killed (not so efficiently) using a device called the "captive bolt". Due to the fact that this is a family oriented forum I will not describe it's use here, you can google it for more information. The meat taken from these animals is not fit for human consumption as horses are fed pesticides, vaccinations, medications which are carcinogenic to humans, antibiotics etc...but yet our airlines ship out this horsemeat for use in foreign countries.

No animal is safe from this practice. Even Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinanad met his end in a slaughterhouse. Sons and grandson's of Seattle Slew and Secretariat have been pulled from kill auctions as well. What people are trying to acheive, now in the name of Barbaro, is for horses to be treated humanely. We are not advocating a vegetarian lifestyle or trying to stop the slaughter of farm animals. We simply believe that the horse is a noble animal, a companion animal, and deserves a better end!

Mods, please let me know if any changes need to be made to allow this to stay.
Thank you. People need to be made aware of these horiffic issues. After researching factory farming, I cannot even cook a hamburger for my husband. Seriously- there is no reason a supposedly civilized society should be enabled to abuse animals. I will be distributing info. at my business

sunny

Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM

191 posts, read 173,372 times
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will also speak out for the animals.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,047,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still looking 62 View Post
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will also speak out for the animals.
This has been happening for years, and I've been against it since I first heard about it. All kinds of animals go in pet food, here's a article on it.

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/PetFood/CompanionAnimals.htm (broken link)

Old 02-02-2007, 11:18 PM

919 posts, read 1,670,676 times
not every horse lives out its life as a kids pet. not all are buried in the back yard. and for many folks, they call them dinner! dogs, monkeys, etc. one mans pet, anothers lunch

Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 PM

597 posts, read 1,788,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
not every horse lives out its life as a kids pet. not all are buried in the back yard. and for many folks, they call them dinner! dogs, monkeys, etc. one mans pet, anothers lunch
Well said Mark . Ya know, I always wondered what exactly was in dog food...

Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
please join winnie and other msnbc horse racing message board posters in stopping the slaughter of horses in the U.S.A -the captive bolt is a very bad method of killing horses. the rate of injured but not insensible with it is 10%at a minimum.this means that 1 out of ten horses are still alive and feeling as well as aware when they are shackled and raised up off of the floor to have their throat cut. i am a breeder and owner of racehorses and find this practice to be inhumane.contact www.congress.org and ask your states politicians to vote for senate bill s.311
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or