U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 105,979 times
Default Top 20 cities with most gangs

What cities, in your opinion have the most gangs and gang violence in the u.s.
Appreciate the comments. Need Info

Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM

989 posts, read 4,039,726 times
Southern California is a sweltering cesspool of gangs. (LA, OC, SD, IE, and more)

Miami(So. Fla in general)

Texas(Houston/Dallas)

Phoenix, AZ

Camden, NJ

Detroit, MI

(NYC Metro, Oakland, CPT, Tacoma, South Boston, North Philly, Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Balitmore, DC, New Orleans, and more)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 PM

217 posts, read 566,634 times
Basically most large cities and even now some suburban areas within a greater metro have gang issues. Thugs have infiltrated a lot of areas in this country, I know here east of New York City in Long Island we now have MS 13 and bloods coming into some areas. Its a major national and international issue. Some notorious places are certainly in parts of: Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, New York, Miami, Los Angeles. More recently I read an article in the newspaper about gangs and their spread to places like Charlotte, NC and Orlando. They seem to target the places where the FBI and police have not cracked down. They find fresh places to increase territory. Talk about terrorism, we have problems locally now!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,426,268 times
you hit the nail on the head gmagg, that & drugs are the real terrorists, the general public know it all too well except for 1 guy & we all know who he is.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM

63 posts, read 257,598 times
Call me Hitler if you want but if I was president the first thing I would do is give the death penalty to anybody with gang tattoos.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,757,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJohn View Post
Call me Hitler if you want but if I was president the first thing I would do is give the death penalty to anybody with gang tattoos.

Agreed. Some things are mistakes, some things just mean you should be removed, lol. I'm a little sick of society playing wet-nurse to these delinquents. We should bring back the firing squad just for them

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 AM

1,607 posts, read 7,124,952 times
I would say Las Vegas is one... it's gaining in gang numbers. Many of whom are moving there from LA.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 AM

4,424 posts, read 4,913,915 times
Detroit has been tapering off in gangs/ gang violence. It peaked in the early to mid nineties. There were plenty of gangs in the southwestern region of Detroit during that time.

Phoenix on the west side is known for its gangs. I believe it's still a problem to this day in that general area along I-17. West Side Boys were the notorious gang that i knew of in that area.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM

597 posts, read 1,318,201 times
Some gang stats on the Latino gangs in LA:

...The LAPD estimates there are now 22,000 Latino gang members in the city of Los Angeles alone. That’s not only more than all the Crips and the Bloods; it’s more than all black, Asian, and white gang members combined. Almost all of those Latino gang members in L.A.—let alone those in other California cities—are loyal to the Mexican Mafia. Most have been thoroughly indoctrinated with the Mexican Mafia’s violent racism during stints in prison, where most gangs are racially based.
...Researchers found that in areas with high concentrations, or “clusters,” of hate crimes, the perpetrators were typically members of Latino street gangs who were purposely targeting blacks. Furthermore, the study found, “There is strong evidence of race-bias hate crimes among gangs in which the major motive is NOT the defense of territorial boundaries against other gangs, BUT hatred toward a group defined by racial identification, regardless of any gang-related territorial threat.”

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=722

Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 AM

5,814 posts, read 14,332,941 times
Anyone have some stats for the U.S. as a whole, or stats that compare major cities? I would be curious to see it. From what I have heard at gang-related trainings I have attended, it seems L.A. - Chicago - NYC have the largest amount of gang related issues, but I couldn't say for sure. I suspect also it would be hard to determine because not all gang-related crime is necessarily reported as gang-related; not all cities and towns will classify crime that way, nor is it always possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies