Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

I support civil unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
No, I do not support civil unions.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a socially-liberal gay Democrat, it may come as some surprise to you all that I'm still "on the fence" regarding the gay marriage issue. I feel as if in order to eventually gain acceptance, my peers in the LGBT community need to take baby steps instead of beating their chests and thrusting full force into the political spectrum by demanding the legal recognition of their relationships through marriage.

I'm 100% supportive of same-sex civil unions, but I'll only support same-sex marriage if and when the majority of the nation finally becomes well-educated and literate enough to realize we're not "mutants." Until that point my peers in the LGBT community are just adding fuel for Republicans to use in order to distract the American public away from how they fumbled the quagmire in Iraq.

What do others think?
i think that if we thought like this we would still have segregted schools. are you aware of the opposition to integrated schools? black students had to attend class under the protection of armed guards. obvioulsy the country was not ready for racially integrated schools. this was only 50 years ago. should the students have waited will the rest of the country caught up?

i dont think so.

while i beleive religious ceremonies are for churches, and no church should be forced to perform a ceremony they dont want to, i.e. baptizing children of unwed mothers, marrying mixed denomintation couples, etc, i do beleive that a union, which affords the rights of marriage, should be extended to all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

call it Domestic partnership. civil union. marriage. but make it equal in the eyes of the law.

that simple.

i suport it. for my friends, for my community, for my children, for my family members, for myself.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Nope, don't think I can do it. I don't think we should have to take "baby steps." This has gone on long enough. Marriage for same-sex couples or get the government out of marriage altogether. We shouldn't even be talking about this still. We should be past this and focusing on something that actually affects all citizens.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm in favor of it. I don't really care if it is called civil union or marriage. The point is to have the same rights as straight couples.
They already have the same rights.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM

83 posts, read 218,197 times
HELL NO! it is a inch here and inch there. then god is against the rules and all kids in 5th grade are taught it is ok for Joe to blow. Your choice is wrong and all you want is everyone to be like you. there is something wrong with your brain and I don’t have to accept it.. I dont care what you do as long as i dont have to see it or teach my kids why it is wrong after some fruitcake told them it is ok. That person will not live long .

Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Yes, I support Civil Unions. Preferably marriage, but hell, even the more enlightened Euros often have separate civil unions.

Teh double edged sword, however, is that civil unions will have to be open for straight couples as well, who do not want to have the "marriage" baggage.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
HELL NO! it is a inch here and inch there. then god is against the rules and all kids in 5th grade are taught it is ok for Joe to blow. Your choice is wrong and all you want is everyone to be like you. there is something wrong with your brain and I don’t have to accept it.. I dont care what you do as long as i dont have to see it or teach my kids why it is wrong after some fruitcake told them it is ok. That person will not live long .

An inch here and there?

Are we repressing some homosexual tendencies?

You know there ARE studies out there that show a large percentage of the most vehemently anti-gay individuals are repressing same-sex desires.

And by the way, if you don't want your kids to experience "the world," may I suggest moving to Iran, where gays "don't exist" and everyone has the same government approved lifestyle.... OR ELSE.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
i would never be so mad at the gays for wanting what the straights have. i dont think they are trying to change anyone. people are they way they are. you are the way you are.
or are you just "straight" becuase you want to be like everyone? i mean the gays want everyone to be like them right? so im sure the straights want that also huh? are you just doing what the straights want you to do? are you really a gay yourself?

me thinks the fruitcake is baking. almost ready to be served. he just needs some rum.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM

i think it would be bette to educate yourself befor you open your mouth on this issue. the right to marriage does not exist for same sex couples. and the alternative option to marriage, i.e. DP or CU, do not afford the same rights. where have you been living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They already have the same rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies