Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM

472 posts, read 1,541,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a socially-liberal gay Democrat, it may come as some surprise to you all that I'm still "on the fence" regarding the gay marriage issue. I feel as if in order to eventually gain acceptance, my peers in the LGBT community need to take baby steps instead of beating their chests and thrusting full force into the political spectrum by demanding the legal recognition of their relationships through marriage.

I'm 100% supportive of same-sex civil unions, but I'll only support same-sex marriage if and when the majority of the nation finally becomes well-educated and literate enough to realize we're not "mutants." Until that point my peers in the LGBT community are just adding fuel for Republicans to use in order to distract the American public away from how they fumbled the quagmire in Iraq.

What do others think?
In 1950, I would not have wanted to wait for the majority of the American public to realize that is acceptable for me to be black. Why put an "acceptance horizon" on fixing something that is not right? And by horizon, I mean: you always see it, but no matter how long you chase it, you never actually get there. I really don't care about someone ELSE accepting my lifestyle if it does not take from or burden them.

Just like the polygamist. I can swear with scouts honor, that NOT ONE multi-adult relationship has affected the health of my body, my finances, or my gay relationship.

But the gay marriage issue is a huge distraction. I will give you that one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,073,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
and then you say that a power of attorney can be obtained... yes make these people jump through hoops.
You have time to post on forums and down-load music, so you certainly have time to down-load a Power of Attorney form off of the internet and fill in the blanks. It only requires an IQ of 85.

Even married people use various Powers of Attorney to ensure that certain people have access to finances, financial records, medical records, assets and other things under certain circumstances.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:47 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,073,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Here is one; The right to inherit each others property that we have amassed together over the last 29 years.
A Will, Testament, or Codicil is sufficient to protect you, as will the various Powers of Attorney. You can register your vehicles in both names or use one of the Powers of Attorney to grant authority for the use or disposal of the vehicle, and even transfer ownership. You can get a mortgage in both of your names and have property deeded in both names. You can have Powers of Attorney to grant rights over the property for purpose of use, trade, sale or disposition.

Quote:
Why should our families that have barely bothered to recognize our relationship, be able to barge right in if one of us should die, and take everything that we own, including our house....
They shouldn't, and that's why you should consult with a Probate Attorney to protect your assets and ensure that they are distributed in accordance with your wishes in the event one of you is incapacitated or dies. You certainly would want to look into a Living Will in the event of a medical emergency, especially if you do not wish to be resuscitated or have no desire to use extraordinary means to preserve your life.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,198,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
HELL NO! it is a inch here and inch there. then god is against the rules and all kids in 5th grade are taught it is ok for Joe to blow. Your choice is wrong and all you want is everyone to be like you. there is something wrong with your brain and I don’t have to accept it.. I dont care what you do as long as i dont have to see it or teach my kids why it is wrong after some fruitcake told them it is ok. That person will not live long .
Bahahahahahahha, this fruitcake would give you a run for your money sweetie

Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,460,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A Will, Testament, or Codicil is sufficient to protect you, as will the various Powers of Attorney. You can register your vehicles in both names or use one of the Powers of Attorney to grant authority for the use or disposal of the vehicle, and even transfer ownership. You can get a mortgage in both of your names and have property deeded in both names. You can have Powers of Attorney to grant rights over the property for purpose of use, trade, sale or disposition.

They shouldn't, and that's why you should consult with a Probate Attorney to protect your assets and ensure that they are distributed in accordance with your wishes in the event one of you is incapacitated or dies. You certainly would want to look into a Living Will in the event of a medical emergency, especially if you do not wish to be resuscitated or have no desire to use extraordinary means to preserve your life.
Maybe it is sufficient for you, but it is not for me and that is why my partner and I got married in June. It also costs thousands of dollars to make sure all those documents are legal and still either of our families could override them. A certificate of marriage and the ceremony at the courthouse is far less expensive and it is fair and equal. How would you like to have all your rights in a marriage denied you? You are not in my shoes and have no understanding of what it is like.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,335,964 times
Quote:
Maybe it is sufficient for you, but it is not for me and that is why my partner and I got married in June. It also costs thousands of dollars to make sure all those documents are legal and still either of our families could override them. A certificate of marriage and the ceremony at the courthouse is far less expensive and it is fair and equal. How would you like to have all your rights in a marriage denied you? You are not in my shoes and have no understanding of what it is like.
Yes, I live in Massachusetts (hip-hip-hooray!), and I'll be getting married to my partner next year. I'm NOT a second-class citizen, and I have paid taxes for years, my family has paid taxes for years, and my father, uncles and cousins fought in our wars! I've also contributed to society a lot more than some straights I know. So, you think I'm a second-class citizen, people? No way, no how.

It's very un-American to make people second-class citizens, not to mention it doesn't affect you, anyway, so what's your problem, people? I am NOT inviting you to the wedding, so you won't even KNOW me, or know that I married a woman or a man. What's up with that? Why do you care so much?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,210,207 times
Quote:
I'm 100% supportive of same-sex civil unions, but I'll only support same-sex marriage if and when the majority of the nation finally becomes well-educated and literate enough to realize we're not "mutants."
What do others think?

Same sex marraige. Yesterday, even. Your if and when may not ever come about.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,509,572 times
>I'm in favor of it. I don't really care if it is called civil union or marriage. The point is to have the same rights as straight couples.<

QFT. As long as you are banging a sane adult willing human... nunna me binness!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,697,178 times
Quote:
As a socially-liberal gay Democrat, it may come as some surprise to you all that I'm still "on the fence" regarding the gay marriage issue. I feel as if in order to eventually gain acceptance, my peers in the LGBT community need to take baby steps instead of beating their chests and thrusting full force into the political spectrum by demanding the legal recognition of their relationships through marriage.

I'm 100% supportive of same-sex civil unions, but I'll only support same-sex marriage if and when the majority of the nation finally becomes well-educated and literate enough to realize we're not "mutants." Until that point my peers in the LGBT community are just adding fuel for Republicans to use in order to distract the American public away from how they fumbled the quagmire in Iraq.

What do others think?
Inuendo much?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,697,178 times
Quote:
Here is one; The right to inherit each others property that we have amassed together over the last 29 years. Why should our families that have barely bothered to recognize our relationship, be able to barge right in if one of us should die, and take everything that we own, including our house....
If you buy a house together, you can instruct the title company to draft the deed with language establishing you and your partner as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. If you didn't do that from the start there are ways to amend it. In this manner if one of you dies the property cedes to the survivor. You can also download a last will and testament form from the internet that instructs the probate court to recognize your partner as the executor of the estate and all that is yours cedes to him. You don't need to be married for any of this. If you want to go really crazy you can seek legal assistance from a probate attorney. Expect to pay about $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies