Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you buy a house together, you can instruct the title company to draft the deed with language establishing you and your partner as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. If you didn't do that from the start there are ways to amend it. In this manner if one of you dies the property cedes to the survivor. You can also download a last will and testament form from the internet that instructs the probate court to recognize your partner as the executor of the estate and all that is yours cedes to him. You don't need to be married for any of this. If you want to go really crazy you can seek legal assistance from a probate attorney. Expect to pay about $500.
And the rest of the benefits and rights that come instantly with legal marriage (and for under $100, by the way)? What about that?

Good article on the cost of "making a marriage", as so many are suggesting (i.e. hiring an attorney or filing legal docs to create some protections)

Pajamas Media » How Much Is That Gay Marriage in the Window?

It's obviously not as simple as downloading forms from the internet (and for many of those forms, to be sure to get correct ones and state-specific ones instead of taking chances with the freebies, you'd end up paying more than the cost of a freakin' marriage license anyway!)...

Oh, and here's a little quote from that article which illustrates the other issue: family members who come along after a death and interfere and mess with what the couple's carefully created legal "stuff" as legal "next of kin", undoing everything (it happens) or at least trying to:

"Now what? Okay, Todd had a will and they have a lot of property. If Todd and Bruce were legally married, there are some exclusions that they could take advantage of; otherwise, Bruce’s estate taxes are much greater than they would have been. If Todd got rich enough, his first cousin, who is now Todd’s next of kin, challenges the will, saying it’s invalid, claiming undue influence, saying the relationship is “against public policy.” Bruce probably wins. Eventually. Lawyers get rich."

The issue of relatives contesting a will and whatnot is exactly WHY a couple would want to hire a lawyer, to do their best to make sure everything was in tip top legal shape, vs. taking chances with a DIY internet will.

Bottom line, some issues can be solved (sorta) with a lawyer's help, but there are still legal issues and benefits and rights that cannot be "purchased" or privately arranged via an attorney, and it's NOT as simple as downloading stuff off the internet and hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It also costs thousands of dollars to make sure all those documents are legal and still either of our families could override them.
And married heterosexuals face the exact same challenges and have to spend thousands of dollars to make sure all those documents are legal so other family members don't over-ride them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You are not in my shoes and have no understanding of what it is like.
I understand that every living organism on this planet is designed to perform one function only: procreate.

This might come as a surprise to you, but there aren't any ova in your stomach or rectum.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And married heterosexuals face the exact same challenges and have to spend thousands of dollars to make sure all those documents are legal so other family members don't over-ride them.
Whatever. a LOT of that comes automatically, with the marriage license. When is the last time you heard of a family member of a deceased married straight person trying to contest a will on the basis of the person's straight marriage/relationship being "not valid"?

Quote:
I understand that every living organism on this planet is designed to perform one function only: procreate.

This might come as a surprise to you, but there aren't any ova in your stomach or rectum.
This might come as a surprise to YOU, but lots of gays and lesbians have kids and no, the stork didn't bring them.

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 09-05-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,554 times
Quote:

So the only joy or purpose we can get out of life, or a relationship, is to make more humans? Boy I bet your sex life is great, no intimacy..only banging eh? That argument also negates sterile couple from marrying, elderly couples or women past menopause, and couples that simply do not want to have kids.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,214 times
From a busines stand point, wouldnt it be easy. You when I sell something, I would like to say MR and MR Smith, instead of that awkward moment when I have to ask for both names for the recipt. Also, the combined credit report. Gay people seem to have more disposable income too. Ill take Gay money, its spends the exact same. I think the idea of husband and wife sounds better for my life, but I hope we can just move on. The sooner the better. If we start now, maybe in 3 or 4 generations it will be a normal thing. So sick of the Gay haters and republicans telling everyone what there morals are. Shut up, pay your bill, Ill pay mine, gay folks can pay theres and everyones fine. I have spoken.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
Quote:

my cousin cant have kids. she had a hysterectomy at a young age. does she not deserve marraige as well?
what about sterile men? barren women? are they to be denied marraige because they cant procreate?

you keep on losing.

your areguments are very weak. i would hope that the saint looks kindly on you and give you an ounce of comapssion for people who are slightly different than you, but still want the same things out of this life as you.
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.'

tou keep on losing here.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:38 PM

375 posts, read 781,938 times
I have no problem with it. Heteros did not patent the institution of marriage. Frankly I"m sick to death of hearing about it.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Yes.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,214 times
Quote:

Wow that was a dumb post

Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 PM

355 posts, read 990,458 times
Yes, I do support same sex civil unions and marriages. Any person who is a good intentioned, honest, hard working, productive citizen in our country should have the same rights.

I do, however, lean to the right on all other issues.....so my vote will have to go to McCain/Palin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies