Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And yet, men have still been in charge that whole time... wonder who's really to blame??
Non-competitive admiration rep points to you for that smooth comeback, sister!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
What confuses me is the rep points. English has 81 rep points out of 116 posts.

I've been noticing them for others, as well and this is my observation-

That the folks who tend to post more US vs THEM-oriented posts garner points at a higher percentage rate than those who tend to contribute posts that are more accepting of others' differences and cultural diversity. The latter group seems more consensus-oriented, where the first more competitive.

Do you think that one group is more into keeping score than the other or am I putting waaaaay too much thought into this?!
Great observation! I don't think you're putting too much thought into it. If you notice anytime TNLove resurfaces with a new handle he/she will post 10-12 posts before getting banned. But in the process will garner many rep points. What that basically is saying is there are many in these forums (Teachers, Hockey fans, fruits and baked goods--many I won't mention by name) who concur whole-heartedly and share his/her opinions on White-supremacy. Only one of those posters has admitted he is a racist, others just go under the radar and post their quasi-racist views. Not my radar!!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Default The difference between the Truth and a story.

A story has a good guy and a bad guy. A story has an ending, happy or sad.

The Truth does not usually have these things. The characterization of these conflicts as the clash between Gog and Magog, good and evil, is usually the result of some or another gross oversimplification of history and current events.

It takes a great deal of work to fully understand many of these issues we're debating about here. To watch Fox news...that's easier.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Non-competitive admiration rep points to you for that smooth comeback, sister!!!
Thanks (also to Nea1 for the same comment)! I had to stew on his post for a little while, since it took a lot to not respond more obnoxiously...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Thanks (also to Nea1 for the same comment)! I had to stew on his post for a little while, since it took a lot to not respond more obnoxiously...
Hey gizmo980, you shouldn't have responded to that ignorant post. You justifeid it by doing so.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Hey gizmo980, you shouldn't have responded to that ignorant post. You justifeid it by doing so.
I don't think that's true... if I'd tried to argue with him, or came back with a hateful comment, you would have a point. But all I did was a little teasing, which was just making light of the comment.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:01 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,822 times
Men were still in charge, but you women voted for the wrong guy. OK im gonna duck now. lady put down the knife. ouch!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:24 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
FYI, that post (my post which you're referring to) was made tongue-in-cheek. Obviously I realize this country was built by more than white people, as you hopefully can tell from my other comments... I was just responding to somebody else's ridiculous statement, somewhere at the beginning of this thread.
my apoligies gizmo,it flew over my head Actually it did darn on me that it might have been with some humor in mind but passionately I replied.

I enjoy conversations like this,and with all the things that are constantly pointed out that seperates Americans and the differences,I like to try to point out or convince things that will make the people have something feel as one.It shouldn't take a Pearl Harbor or 9/11 to bring Americans spirit closer.

I have a friend who's opposite of me in most political and spiritual beliefs,while we have spirited debates and sometimes I feel like arghh!!! over the differences,it always ends with a smile,and besides any differences in views in the end I'd bend over backwards for my friend.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
my apoligies gizmo,it flew over my head

I have a friend who's opposite of me in most political and spiritual beliefs,while we have spirited debates and sometimes I feel like arghh!!! over the differences,it always ends with a smile,and besides any differences in views in the end I'd bend over backwards for my friend.
I second that sentiment. I grew up believing that this is what America is all about. We argue, we debate, but in the end we are all family, not like some other countries that are so divided. But it seems that we are increasingly taking on some of those qualities here. Is it because people are painting groups with one brush, ie- Mexicans means illegal immigrants, Blacks means African American thugs, democrat means one thing, republican another? I find the generalizations and intolerance of entire groups of people to be not only offensive, but unamerican. Why are we repeating our mistakes of the past?

Old 02-10-2007, 10:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
Quote:
I second that sentiment. I grew up believing that this is what America is all about. We argue, we debate, but in the end we are all family, not like some other countries that are so divided. But it seems that we are increasingly taking on some of those qualities here. Is it because people are painting groups with one brush, ie- Mexicans means illegal immigrants, Blacks means African American thugs, democrat means one thing, republican another? I find the generalizations and intolerance of entire groups of people to be not only offensive, but unamerican. Why are we repeating our mistakes of the past?
You looked on my paper! We must be cosmic twins or something...I couldn't agree more - I feel very much the same way. These feelings of superiority that people get from being intolerant, racist, sexist, prejudiced, etc can be dangerous and sometimes can help motivate hate groups to form or regroup. Isn't that happening right now with white supremecists, supposedly motivated by all of the recent immigration issues? I think that's what I heard...

Closed minds are so frustrating and sad...I had one way back in high school, but it opened up when I went away to college and let me just say...it's almost like the sunrise, and slowly the sky gets brighter and overtakes the darkness. It's a much more pleasant place than that angry, defensive, dark cave of intolerance and hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies