Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
I thought you people wanted a seperation of Church and State? If you tax them then they should be in schools etc......

OPPS! I forgot that .. well how about just taking thier lands and beheading thier leaders .. :: snark snark :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
I thought you people wanted a seperation of Church and State? If you tax them then they should be in schools etc......
You make an interesting point. If churches are indeed taxed, then they will LEGALLY be able to get involved in politics. Now, many are already involved and have snaked their way around many politicians, but I do think that taking away their tax exempt status would cause many to go overboard. I've found that overly religious people are often the least trustworthy.

I'd say, let them keep their tax exempt status, but audit them far more often and pull tax exempt status if they do something stupid. There are many churches that are full of good people doing good things, but unfortunately those are getting fewer and far between.

It really irritates me when there are poor and struggling families all over, but many churches invest in large tvs and state of the art sound systems over helping those in their own community.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I want taxation on ALL non-profit organizations and treat them as businesses that operate solely to generate income... they have to generate income to pay themselves... all the profits goes into their paychecks and benefits... they are NOT non-profit.. any organization that collects "fees" and "dues" should NOT be non-profit... if they relied 100% on donations, then I might make an exemption...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
It's about time this even gets brought up. I hope it's legitimate too, not just smoke.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
The churches should have to pay their fair share of taxes. They get let off the hook too easily. Of course, they scream "WE help the poor !". Well, how's about helping your poor old country ? It's very poor ! So poor it has to borrow money from the Communists.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
First the government will remove tax exempt statust

Then the government will through church leaders who refuse to hire gays/ lesbians in jail

The government will then start executing all Christians just like Nero tried to do

I personally feel Obama is the biggest threat to Christianity since Nero
of course, you WOULD bring those evil gays and lesbians in your argument.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Churches are already completely involved with politics. It'd be a crime not to tax them, especially considering the current state of the budget.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I want taxation on ALL non-profit organizations and treat them as businesses that operate solely to generate income... they have to generate income to pay themselves... all the profits goes into their paychecks and benefits... they are NOT non-profit.. any organization that collects "fees" and "dues" should NOT be non-profit... if they relied 100% on donations, then I might make an exemption...
I can't agree with you on that. There are many non profits that do AMAZING things for the community. Take 4H for example. In my county there are 3 people who are paid to head up the Cooperative Extension office, the rest are all volunteers. The clubs do great things for the area (repaint parks, help with fundraising for other groups, and donate a ridiculous amount of volunteer hours to the community at large) and I don't think they should be taxed. I was the treasurer for 3 years (president for two) of my local 4h club so I saw where every single penny went and it definitely wasn't padding anyone's pocket books.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
First the government will remove tax exempt statust

Then the government will through church leaders who refuse to hire gays/ lesbians in jail

The government will then start executing all Christians just like Nero tried to do

I personally feel Obama is the biggest threat to Christianity since Nero

There was no mention of Obama or Obama supporters in your OP link. Is that important?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Fine by me. Don't get why they are exempt, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies