Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,775,687 times

Advertisements

Situations like these are basically about someone discontented with their life vs. you happy with yours. Not my problem and do not care.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,891,933 times
Y'know, when I was quite young, I was taught that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me!" I found it to be very true. WORDS can hurt ONLY if YOU allow them to be hurtful!
I refuse to give anybody that much control over how I think or feel. Let them throw words around, I just don't care.
Besides, I refuse to get into a battle of wits with someone who is obviously only half armed. Yeah, they probable think the same about me. Again, I just don't care what they think.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,800,340 times
Someone calls me a cracker, it's not offensive. It hasn't been used by people with more power to oppress people without power. Someone calls me a b*tch and it is offensive. It has been used by some with power to oppress people without power. It makes a difference.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,800,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Y'know, when I was quite young, I was taught that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will never hurt me!" I found it to be very true. WORDS can hurt ONLY if YOU allow them to be hurtful!
I refuse to give anybody that much control over how I think or feel. Let them throw words around, I just don't care.
Besides, I refuse to get into a battle of wits with someone who is obviously only half armed. Yeah, they probable think the same about me. Again, I just don't care what they think.
Words are powerful things. That's why we teach our children to talk.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM

18,830 posts, read 14,016,461 times
Long ago, in a galaxy, far, far away...
Oops - wrong intro.

Long ago, there was this thing called "reputation." It was a status formed of one's past actions and the expectation of future behavior. Those who had a "good reputation" were treated differently than those with "bad reputations."

Sadly, there were also group reputations that were based on generalizations and prejudices. If one was associated with such a group, one's individual reputation may have been impacted.

Many slurs and insults are attacks upon an individual's reputation without regard for his past actions and expected behavior.

Groups not know for their "bad reputation," do not find such slurs damaging, for they contradict the group's past actions and expected behavior.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,891,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Words are powerful things. That's why we teach our children to talk.
Very true, words ARE powerful!
However, the way words affect YOU is totally under YOUR control! If YOU are thin-skinned, and YOUR feelings can easily be hurt, it is a deficiency in YOUR makeup.
I simply will not give others that much power over me. I just don't CARE what words they use to "describe" me. Therefore, their use of pejoratives and slurs has no effect on me, it just makes THEM look small!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM

363 posts, read 790,911 times
In general most whites think of themselves more as to their old european ethnic identity rather than to a white american one. Hence if you call a pole a ****** or an Italian a wop these be fighting words, they WILL be offended. But many of these people and their descendent in america do not view themselves as connected to a white identity. Like the dominicans in america who don't see themselves as black, many ethnic whites do not view themselves as white but rather as hypenated americans. Ie. a white like me who is white and beleives in a white identity would be offended by those terms. But a "white guy" from italy isn't going to be offend called a cracker, he probably wouldn't fully understand its meaning. Call a french a frog or an englishman a limey then you will get under me skin.

Besides I notice that blacks tend to assume all white skinned people are white, which is not the case. If you think those mixed race whites in southern and eastern europe or finland who are barely white at all are going to be offended by racial slurs at a group they are hardly a part of they aren't.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM

18,417 posts, read 15,116,676 times
Quote:
However, the way words affect YOU is totally under YOUR control! If YOU are thin-skinned, and YOUR feelings can easily be hurt, it is a deficiency in YOUR makeup.
I simply will not give others that much power over me. I just don't CARE what words they use to "describe" me. Therefore, their use of pejoratives and slurs has no effect on me, it just makes THEM look small!
I wouldn't let it ruin my day either, but I would probably think to myself "What an ignorant, uneducated, lowlife, scumbag this person is." Is that being racist against scumbags?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,776,280 times
Because they're conditioned to believe that racism only goes one way.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM

5,287 posts, read 4,350,976 times
Quote:
This!

I have never understood why many people allow themselves to get so angry of something like name calling.

SO WHAT??

Those that use pejorative terms aren't powerful unless you hand that power over to them. Why would you give that power to someone so lacking in common decency? Oh, and those that get their knickers in a twist about someone else using names such as these are no better. I have better things to do with my emotions and energy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies