U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the Chinese product cost $10, how much more would you pay for the American product?
I would buy the $10 Chinese-made product because it's cheaper. 8 21.05%
I'd pay no more than $11 to get the American-made product. 1 2.63%
I'd pay no more than $13 to get the American-made product. 3 7.89%
I'd pay no more than $15 to get the American-made product. 4 10.53%
I'd pay no more than $20 to get the American-made product. 1 2.63%
I don't care what it costs- if I can buy American, I will. 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 AM

681 posts, read 2,576,418 times

Advertisements

This does indeed seem to be quite controversial, hence why I'm posting a poll to gather some stats. I'm planning to do battle with some big corporations to whatever extent they'll listen to "little me", and it'd be nice to be able to back my statements with the sentiments of other people.

Here's the situation: Say you wanted to buy something and you could choose between two products which appeared to be functionally identical on the surface... one made in the USA and one made in China or some other comparable third-world country. The Chinese-made product costs $10. How much would you be willing to pay to get the American-made product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,723,331 times
Is the assumption they are of equal quality? Was the American product made by Union employees or illegal aliens?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,359,225 times
I voted- "I don't care what it costs- if I can buy American, I will." That fits me the closest.

I make a point of buying American whenever I can. If it is something that I don't need at the moment and costs more-then I save up for it because yes-larger purchases can costs more upfront. It took me months to switch over my China lead crap dishes to Fiestaware. Fiestaware is not cheap but the stores run deals, with free additions etc.

American food is cheaper in some cases. I live near many farms. The locally grown produce is either cheaper or the same price as the foreign grown produce in the supermarket. The local grown tastes 100% better also.

If you get to a point in your "campaign" where you would like letters or assistance from the public- I would be glad to help.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
You forgot this response choice:

*I don't care what couintry it is made in, I will buy the best value for the money.

Also, you did not consider this possibility:

*I will buy a Mercury made in Mexico, rather than a Toyota made in Tennessee, because Mercuries are American.

Nor did you consider the choice that would actually apply to me:

*I never buy anything new. Only used cars, and clothing, furniture and household articles from thrift shops and yard sales.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You forgot this response choice:

*I don't care what couintry it is made in, I will buy the best value for the money.

Also, you did not consider this possibility:

*I will buy a Mercury made in Mexico, rather than a Toyota made in Tennessee, because Mercuries are American.

Nor did you consider the choice that would actually apply to me:

*I never buy anything new. Only used cars, and clothing, furniture and household articles from thrift shops and yard sales.
I forgot nothing. Buying the "best value for the money" is killing America, because Chinese-made stuff is being cranked out in squalid factories operated by people making money in terms of CENTS per hour rather than DOLLARS per hour. American factories naturally cannot compete with that. Americans have decided that American workers deserve to be paid at least $7.15 per hour, which works out to around a $10 per hour cost to the companies when you figure in payroll taxes. If we want to be paying our workers that much, then we owe them the decency of buying the stuff THEY MAKE such that they'll actually have jobs to go to. So, we artificially prop up wages through minimum wage laws and then we send all of our jobs overseas because THOSE countries have cheaper labor costs. We unionize and say that factory workers MUST make a certain amount of money per hour but then we farm out all of our daily-use goods manufacturing to "developing" countries like China and Mexico because labor in those countries is cheaper. Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy here?

Yes, if we buy American, we may very well find ourselves buying less stuff... but lets face it... I can't remember the last time I discovered that a foreign-made product was of better quality than an American-made product. My parents own an American-made Victrola which is over 100 years old... it still works as though it were brand new and my brother and I certainly beat on it enough when we were kids in the late '80s. Most of today's Japanese-made electronic equipment is lucky to last 10 years under moderate use WITHOUT taking abuse from children.

How about cars? Where I live, there are 1980s-model Cadillac Sedan DeVilles and 1980s-model Chevrolet Caprices all over the place. I can't remember the last time I saw a 1980s-model Toyota around here... or anywhere, for that matter. Maybe there are one or two that I've seen on the road in this town... if they were really so great, there'd be more of them still around after 20 years or so, you'd think!

I heard recently that the average per capita income in China, ranked amongst other countries, is number 100-something, on par with the African nation of Swaziland.

I hear you on the cars- it is true that many Toyotas are more American (NOWADAYS...) than vehicles such as Ford products. I hear they have a factory in Kentucky as well.

What irritates me the most is that store managers and employees seem so resigned to the made-in-China plague. Down here in Texas, many people complain about it... but the employees always say "we don't make the decisions- corporate does, and they're in [some city that isn't in Texas]". That's not to say that all Texan companies are great and all non-Texan companies are evil... but it is to say that maybe Texas is the place to get this party started. We have to stand up and fight for things to be made in America or we're going to find our dollar so badly devalued that we'll never have any international credence... and on top of that, when Mexico and China (which have very questionable relationships with the USA as it is) turn their backs on us, what will we be left with? Outrageously high oil prices, and no capability to build anything useful. So we'll race against time to resurrect all of the Depression-era factory buildings that are decaying around us from decades of non-use... and then maybe in a few years we'll be able to make washcloths again so that we don't have to keep using maple leaves and skunk cabbage to wash our bodies.

Anyways... as for buying things used... I do that when I can. Only trouble is, they shut down the "used stuff" factory a long time ago. I can't always find something used and in good working condition when I want to find something. Case in point- it's tough to trust a used treadmill. So, we went out on Saturday night and looked at treadmills... out of something like eight models, only the Nautilus model was made in the USA and of course it was the Cadillac of treadmills... out of the price range of two people who might not use the stupid thing after a month's time anyway. If only Nautilus made a Chevette-of-treadmills model....!!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Is the assumption they are of equal quality? Was the American product made by Union employees or illegal aliens?
The assumption is that they APPEAR to be functionally identical. Maybe you could even assume that they APPEAR to be totally identical. You can never test the quality of a product until you use it... and to use it, usually you have to buy it first.

As for your second question, I would certainly hope that the American product was made by LEGAL residents of this country, regardless of whether or not they were union members.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I forgot nothing. Buying the "best value for the money" is killing America, because Chinese-made stuff is being cranked out in squalid factories operated by people making money in terms of CENTS per hour rather than DOLLARS per hour. American factories naturally cannot compete with that. !!
You mean your poll only gave people the options that you liked. You didn't forget to include it, you refused to because that would not be one of your own options. So you didn't want to know what we thought, you wanted us toknow what you thought. Some poll!

That's funny. When we had slaves here in America, instead of Chinese over there, to do all our cheap labor for us, that didn't seem to cut into the wealth and buying power of the white plantation owners. We must be doing something wrong now.

Here's how you fix it. You send all those USA workers home, and pay them $200 a week to do nothing. That is enough money for them to buy all that cheap Chinese stuff, and now everybody is happy. Doing it your way, nobody is happy. Americans are the first people who ever had cheap labor to do all their work for them, and still worked their knuckles to the bone, and then lived in poverty themselves.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-08-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,082,133 times
i try to buy the best i can afford at a given period regardless of where it is sourced.

for instance, the only dress shoes and loafers i will buy are aldens (the only shoe/bootmaker that makes all their shoes in the US). however i am willing to spend 400 dollars a pop for quality shoes. if i couldn't afford it, then i'd buy the best i could afford if they came from mars, tibet, etc. if in the future i can afford 1k USD shoes, i'll buy british hand-grades. america can manufacture great products and companies should take pride and raise their quality of USA made goods and not compete on price. The problem is that the american culture is one of consume and dispense. Therefore price is the overriding factor, not longevity/quality. I think that kind of consumer thinking has helped in the downfall of american manufacturing.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,521,220 times
i marvel; at some of the prices I see in walmart. This is the supposed to be the one major benefits of free trade and globalization why wouldnt you take advantage. A pair of childrens shoes cost just a little bit more than when I was a kid and im 47 years old. I dont get nervous about going to buy school clothes and supplies because its so darn cheap. Christmas no problem.

I used to spend over$75 for a dozen roses on my wifes birthday or valentines day, now ten bux. You can live in the past with all this buy American crap but as a Machine operator from Michigan whose job was sent overseas many years ago you'll get know sympathy from me. Free trade and open markets are a done deal, get used to it

Old 09-08-2008, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 76,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I forgot nothing. Buying the "best value for the money" is killing America
Although you may not AGREE w/ buying "best value for the money" it's certainly a valid option. If you want an accurate polling to find the truth, I don't see how having this as an option harms the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies