Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

24 posts, read 68,559 times

Advertisements

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor or confine any animal of the swine species or type or poultry in any building, structure, shed, corral, pen or enclosure within the corporate limits of the city except:
(1) Where such animals are being kept at a licensed stock show lasting not longer than ten (10) days.

N/A

(2) Where such animals are kept at a licensed slaughterhouse, recognized stockyard or processing facility where swine or poultry are kept for a period of not more than four (4) days.

N/A

(3) Where such animals are being kept at least five hundred (500) feet from any building regularly or frequently used or occupied by human beings for residential, business or industrial purposes and at least five hundred (500) feet from any streets, parks, playgrounds, schools, churches and similar properties; except that the requirement of this subsection shall not apply to any such locations belonging to the owner of the property where such swine or poultry are kept.

I have about an acre. An acre is over 43,000 square feet. That is actually only about 200 ft by 200ft. My land is about square, so that's about right for me. There just isn't the 500 feet required.

(4) Where a permit is issued by the board to keep Vietnamese pot bellied pigs as pets.

N/A

(5) Where such animals are kept at a licensed research facility.

N/A

(b) The buildings, structures, corrals, pens or enclosures in which swine or poultry are kept shall at all times be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.

Unless I'm misreading it (which I am MORE than open to!) I can't legalliy own them. Thx anyway though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You can have them in the county, though, right? When I lived in the county there were chickens, roosters and ducks walking all over the place. They were charming!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
I don't see any restrictions at all in the county. I'm in the county, but not the city, even though I'm about two miles west of West Town Mall. I got cows just down the street from me.
There are still a lot of farms and farm animals in Knox County. I don't think the condo association would be to thrilled if I started raising chickens, though.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
What the cluck are you guys talking about?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
If you want farm animals, move to the country.
Sorry if I offended, but I was voicing my honest opinion. I was not telling you to leave; it seems common sense to me that the city limits is not the place for livestock.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
raising chickens and a garden is a great idea right about now. if GOP nails election its going to get very rough. obama 08.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfskinnerpunk View Post
How is a chicken less "healthy" than a dog?

I'm a dog fanatic, but I do admit that dogs produce waste that is comparable to human waste... and it's in the yard!

Do a few chicken's make a racket? If so, is it louder than the bark of a dog?

I've never been around a chicken, but I have lived among dogs and cats and can't imagine chickens doing more damage than a dog or a cat. (cats kills birds... lots of birds)

Are chickens on the list because they are considered "farm" animals?

I haven't lived among chickens, but the few chickens I have met seem no more intrusive than the local birds... which is: not at all.

How many chickens do you want???

Chickens are MUCH more unsanitary than dogs, especially when kept in enclosed areas.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 AM

24 posts, read 68,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What the cluck are you guys talking about?

[IMG][/IMG]
cute, very cute

Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I remember as a kid having to help shovel out the chicken coop and lay fresh straw. Not a lot of fun for a ten year old. And having cracked open more than one fertilized egg while making breakfast sure put me off eggs for while too. Ick.

There are chickens here in Memphis, inside the city limits. I don't know if they are here illegally, but they sure are loud in the morning!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Hmmm....why can't you have chickens in the city limits?
Well, it is kind of the same thing as going into a no smoking restaurant and asking "can I smoke?"..."Why not?, I really want to."
Or how about bringing a dog to a hotel that says No pets allowed and asking why they made those rules and but why can't you bring your dog in because you really really want to.
Sorry, but the rules are just the rules.
I also personally think that farm animals belong out in the country. I hate to see ANY animal caged up, especially larger than a rat sized animal, it is just not right. If you can not provide ample space for a animal to roam, please let someone else who can offer that have them until you can provide it.
Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies