Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted
Yes 51 29.65%
No 104 60.47%
Not Sure. 17 9.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Way to misconstrue what he said.
Here's the full quote.

"Sorry, but the troops opinions don't really matter to me. Why is such a bad thing to point out that most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted."

I hope you are no longer confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
This was posted in a thread. It is close to what John Kerry said last year. Do you agree?

"... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted."
It's actually not at all close to what John Kerry said. Senator Kerry's remark was about President Bush, not the troops. He also did not say it last year, but in October 2006. I will reserve judgment as to whether your inability to get even the basic facts right are a reflection of your grades and or/school.

For the record, I think the troops' main problem is having a crappy, stunted, juvenile sense of morality, rather than an intellectual deficit.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
They went because the media lied about Saddam being OUR enemy.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
"In summary, we found that, on average, 1999 recruits were more highly educated than the equivalent general population, more rural and less urban in origin, and of similar income status."

"We find that, on average, recruits tend to be much more highly educated than the general public and that this education disparity increased after the war on terrorism began. Comparable detailed education data from the Census classify the education level of individuals into one of seven categories (from less than high school up to graduate/professional degree). We generated a binary variable that assigns a 1 for individuals with a high school diploma or higher and a 0 for less than a high school diploma.

If one single statistic could settle this issue, it is this: 98 percent of all enlisted recruits who enter the military have an education level of high school graduate or higher, compared to the national average of 75 percent.[5] In an education context, rather than attracting underprivileged young Americans, the military seems to be attracting above-average Americans. "

"The household income of recruits generally matches the income distribution of the American population. There are slightly higher proportions of recruits from the middle class and slightly lower proportions from low-income brackets. However, the proportion of high-income recruits rose to a disproportionately high level after the war on terrorism began, as did the proportion of highly edu*cated enlistees.

We found that recruits tend to come from middle-class areas, with disproportionately fewer from low-income areas. Overall, the income distribution of military enlistees is more similar to than different from the income distribution of the general population."

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...y/cda05-08.cfm (broken link)
thanks for posting that. a little vindication goes a long way. it is sad, but i've had people ask me why i joined the military, with some sort of qualifier like, "but you're such a bright kid." or something similarly ignorant.

i will reiterate both what i've said before, and what this little study finds, military personnel are pretty much like everyone else. they just shoot better.

Quote:
Having joined the military and knowing a lot of people in the military... there are many different reasons why some join... 1) Uneducated... it means they are not simply "smart" enough to get into a good school 2) Poverty... means they couldn't afford to go to school and hope the military will provide education 3) Opportunity.... means they hope to make military life a career choice 4) Patriotism... they believe that the U.S. military is "always" right 5) Politics... they hope it is a stepping stone to get into politics 6) Lack of employment... they need a job or have been out of a job for a long time and need to make money but have no real skills or the job market is weak in their area 7) Discovery... sometimes people are "lost" and have no direction in life, they want a breather to find their way 8) Travel.... this was my reason for joining... I wanted to see the world without paying for all those expensive airfares... The people I met in the military which were all enlisted (not officers) and I can say most of them didn't have a future either because they didn't have an education, were poor, or were patriotic... most of them were uneducated and "needed" a future and they believe the military was the only option to get into a future they want...
is there any room in your experience for those of us that are patriotic, and yet think that the country is heading toward shambles and needs to be improved? i certainly hold no illusions that the country which i love is perfect--never has been, not even back in jefferson and adam's day.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,388 times
Quote:
This was posted in a thread. It is close to what John Kerry said last year. Do you agree?

"... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted."
I don't agree at all.. Some people still sign up because they are grateful to have been born here, or to come here.

A lot of people make the assumption that people enlist because they have no other options, not true. Some people still take pride in what they do and why they do it. I wish more would take the example of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coasties. You wont find a better people.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Having joined the military and knowing a lot of people in the military... there are many different reasons why some join... 1) Uneducated... it means they are not simply "smart" enough to get into a good school 2) Poverty... means they couldn't afford to go to school and hope the military will provide education 3) Opportunity.... means they hope to make military life a career choice 4) Patriotism... they believe that the U.S. military is "always" right 5) Politics... they hope it is a stepping stone to get into politics 6) Lack of employment... they need a job or have been out of a job for a long time and need to make money but have no real skills or the job market is weak in their area 7) Discovery... sometimes people are "lost" and have no direction in life, they want a breather to find their way 8) Travel.... this was my reason for joining... I wanted to see the world without paying for all those expensive airfares... The people I met in the military which were all enlisted (not officers) and I can say most of them didn't have a future either because they didn't have an education, were poor, or were patriotic... most of them were uneducated and "needed" a future and they believe the military was the only option to get into a future they want...
I agree for the most part. I'll add more:

9) They got their girlfriend knocked up--half the time out of love or conviction, sometimes due to family pressure--they got married and needed a steady job with benefits.

10) They feel a need to get the hell out of wherever they're at (small town, farm, ghetto, rust belt, etc) so they grab the quickest ticket out.

11) Quite a few are military brats--they grew up with an ID card. They feel comfortable with the military way of life. It's kind of like following in dad/mom's footsteps.

I don't mean to burst anybody's bubble but, I spent 12 yrs on active duty. NEVER met anyone who actually said, "I joined because I love my country and I want to fight for it".

Last edited by EDnurse; 09-09-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: content

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,268 times
Quote:
WOW. The Leftist-Spelling-Police is on the job. Now, America and The World will be saved.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
from your spelling im guess you voted yes, and you enlisted
if our troops are so unqualified and poorly educated, why does barack obama want to increase their presence in both afghanistan and pakistan?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The household income of recruits generally matches the income distribution of the American population. There are slightly higher proportions of recruits from the middle class and slightly lower proportions from low-income brackets. However, the proportion of high-income recruits rose to a disproportionately high level after the war on terrorism began, as did the proportion of highly edu*cated enlistees. We found that recruits tend to come from middle-class areas, with disproportionately fewer from low-income areas. Overall, the income distribution of military enlistees is more similar to than different from the income distribution of the general population."
An example of how disinformation can come into being, courtesy of such places as the Heritatge Foundation. The report cited did not collect or analyze any data at all on the actual household income of recruits. Instead, every recruit was assigned the median household income for the zip code of his or her home address at the time of enlistment. Thus, when the question is whether recruits come disproportionately from below-average income circumstances, this report simply assigns what amounts to average income circumstances to all recruits, and then claims that no, they don't come from below-average income circumstances. There is a word for this type of analysis, and the word is HOAX...

Last edited by saganista; 09-10-2008 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
I'd love to hear one of these arrogant, elitist, know it alls say something like that in the middle of a mess hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies