Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is patriotism a virtue or vice?
Virtue 35 61.40%
Vice 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't define it as either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:36 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
Are we suppose to wear tape over our mouth and pretend that everything is "perfect" in order to be viewed as "patriotic?"

I believe that I have a debt, duty and obligation to "pinpoint problems"....And I feel that I have a debt, duty and obligation to work hard to find solutions to the problems in our country.

"Act like everything is peachy keen"...."Never question anything I say or do"...."Believe everything that I tell you"....."Shut down your mind....." This is the kind of stuff that goes on in dictatorships and Communist countries!

Even worse, all of this goes on in "dysfunctional families"....where problems are routinely "swept under the rug" so the family can appear "perfect" and "problem-free" to outsiders.

I don't want to live in a "dysfunctional family" or a "dysfunctional country!" I don't want to be "bullied" into "keeping silent!" The phony-baloney patriotism that has been going on for the past few decades has really hurt our country...and blocked our "growth" as a nation. This is how I feel anyway....How about you? Thanks, Claire

Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 PM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
Patriots are overrated.
I know, I live in New England.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 AM

524 posts, read 942,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Patriots are overrated.
I know, I live in New England.
Please expand on that statement.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
Please expand on that statement.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
I voted vice, based on the current environment in this country.

Marching in lock step with a traitor that happens to be in office, trumpeted as patriotism by those doing so, is in fact giving aid supporting an enemy to our way of life, our Constitution, and the principals this country was founded upon.

Exercising the freedoms we have is also branded by these people as unpatriotic, primarily free speech and speaking ones mind about the direction the country is going. This emperor is naked, but far too many see fine silk robes.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Patriotism to America or our allies is a virtue....patriotism to Russia, North Korea, Cuba, China, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is a vice.

Patriotism to Mexico is the biggest vice when practiced by illegal immigrant.

Saudi Arabia is an ally, so you hve contradicted yourself.

If a person lives in Pakistan, and WANTS to be a virtuous patriot, what ought he to do?

Here's a suggestion: Define "patriotism" in such a way that the definition is exactly the same for every person in the world What exactly are the responsibilities of a virtuous partiot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies