Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM

57 posts, read 162,210 times

Advertisements

I am fed up with all of the diversity training they shove down your throat when your starting a new job, people of all colors,races ,ethnic backgrounds are fed up with it to, why do companies feel they have too "educate" us on this, people are sick and tired and fed up and thats why their is so much resentment and anger in these forums!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
It has to be done though, because if you don't do it, there is a liability at hand, and then so many people would be sue happy.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
I am fed up with all of the diversity training they shove down your throat when your starting a new job, people of all colors,races ,ethnic backgrounds are fed up with it to, why do companies feel they have too "educate" us on this, people are sick and tired and fed up and thats why their is so much resentment and anger in these forums!
Smacking my head--I well remember when this started and after over 2 decades wonder why (rhetorically) we haven't left the starting gate.

People seem to be 'fed up' in RL, too--resulting in a less 'Open/friendly' society. At least I theorize that is one factor.

'We are a nation of laws'...I believe The Bard understood the hazards of The Law--several centuries ago.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:26 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Well, in today's litigious society, companies have to protect themselves against frivolous lawsuits. There are benefits to having diversity training. For one thing...there really are people who haven't got a clue that how they speak or behave can be offensive. Did you watch the last Wife Swap where the Lesbian couple traded spouses with the Oregon couple and the Oregon woman was just spouting off incredibly moronic and offensive statements about gays? SHE NEEDED DIVERSITY TRAINING!!!! Also, it helps to legally protect the company that promotes it. Everyone who attends is usually checked off a list and that documentation is added to their employee files and recorded by Human Resources. That way if it ever comes up in any lawsuit, the company has proof that it offered, the employee received, and the employee finished diversity training and was aware of the issue and how to recognize it. It helps verify due diligence.
I doubt diversity training has anything to do with opinions stated in this forum. Most of the most vociferous people here who rail against blacks and non-whites or Jews are bigots pure and simple simply getting their hatred off their chests and hoping to infect as many as possible with their irrational ranting. They give many excuses for their views, usually relying on stereotypes for support. They also tend to have appalling grammar and are clearly on the lower end of the educated scale for the most part.
Diversity training may be boring to you and others, and it may be a pain to take time out of your day to have to undergo it. Bring a large cup of coffee next time and just relax and be glad that you're included as you could be a victim also of someone else's insensitivity or prejudice and then you can explain why it's wrong to him or her.
And, you just might learn something you didn't know.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
You may not like to be treated like a child due to your repetitive diversity training, but here at Lowe's, where there apparently is no training in minority-related issues, I can tell you that every time I hear co-workers make rude comments about homosexuals working at chocolate factories or auditioning to be the next Tinkerbell, (including some hateful remarks from management themselves), I get stung a bit. Since I'm very well-liked in the store but am also very masculine and "in the closet", I often get the urge to walk up behind them while they're laughing and say "Guess what? I happen to be one of those people." I'd just love to see the color drain from their faces as they struggle to atone for their hurtful comments. Nevertheless, the thought has also often occurred to me that doing so might open myself up to even worse treatment from some of my co-workers, including the possibility of being given the more "menial" tasks in the store on a more regular basis.

As a retail associate, you naturally have to grow a thick skin to deflect the angry outbursts of customers in a level-headed manner. Nevertheless, I would have expected more intellect and integrity from my own superiors, but, then again, it will be quite satisfying to walk into Lowe's ten years into the future when I have my Ph.D and see the same people working at the same dead-end jobs trying to make themselves feel better about themselves by degrading the "weaker" segments of society.

If you don't want to constantly be subjected to diversity seminars, then start acting like freakin' adults! Just think of the damage I could do to the company right now through litigation if I happened to secretly record some of these tirades and submit them to my family attorney. Nobody should have to enter their workplace and feel discriminated against or uncomfortable around their co-workers. Just remember "Red and yellow black and white, they are precious in his sight!" That's a little song lyric we should all
abide by.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
That's a shame, they force you to apply for the job, then force you to accept it, then force you to take diversity training... Take a stand against diversity, quit your job so you dont have to work at a company that hires all types and requires people to be respectful to their customers and/or coworkers that are different from them and that educate people on the differences to eliminate negative and derogatory stereotypes.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 AM

34 posts, read 36,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
That's a shame, they force you to apply for the job, then force you to accept it, then force you to take diversity training... Take a stand against diversity, quit your job so you dont have to work at a company that hires all types and requires people to be respectful to their customers and/or coworkers that are different from them and that educate people on the differences to eliminate negative and derogatory stereotypes.
And then he finally loved Big Brother.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Yeah, it really is a shame that people are taught to be sensitive and respectful... what is our world coming to??!!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
Quote:
Trust me, a lot of people agree with you. But it's not politcally correct to say so because they will be called a racist or something similar. But there are many people that agree with you.

Kind of reminds me when I spent two years teaching in schools. There are posters all over that read "celebrate diversity" and there are black and hispanic clubs. No white clubs at all mind you. And you know what they are saying when they want to celebrate diversity? That if there is room full of white people then that's no celebration, it's only a celebration if other races are involved. They act as if there's something wrong with a group of white people getting together. No other race is treated like that for coming together, only white people. It's a shame.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Trust me, a lot of people agree with you. But it's not politcally correct to say so because they will be called a racist or something similar. But there are many people that agree with you.
Gee, why am I not surprised that you'd be the one to stick up for him? Next AndreaBeth will pop in with her support of the bigots... I'm not one to throw that word around, but if it walks like a duck & talks like a duck - chances are it's a duck. Maybe if you stopped acting like a racist, people would stop accusing you of being one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies