Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,907,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
So true. I was born and raised in California but moved to Texas around the same time you went to South Carolina.

It feels good to be away from the fruits and the nuts.
the fruits and the nuts?

didn't anybody ever tell you... the only thing that comes from texas is steers and *****s...lol

give me a break... I live in boise idaho.. and it is full of gay people, as well as healthfood nuts, environmentalists, etc....
if california approves gay marriage.. it will eventually become a national issue, for the sake of federal taxes etc.. and marriage tax credits.. etc...
that big of a state, with that many people.... so too will the rest of the country turn....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,503,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the fruits and the nuts?

didn't anybody ever tell you... the only thing that comes from texas is steers and *****s...lol

give me a break... I live in boise idaho.. and it is full of gay people, as well as healthfood nuts, environmentalists, etc....
if california approves gay marriage.. it will eventually become a national issue, for the sake of federal taxes etc.. and marriage tax credits.. etc...
that big of a state, with that many people.... so too will the rest of the country turn....
I don't thinkit is neccesary to bash a whole state for a couple of individuals who feel that way. Houston for instance is pretty gay friendly (myself included) and Houston has more gay people than Boise has people period. I personally agree that gays should be allowed to marry if they like and every person I know here feels that way too. And we attend church on Sundays too.....

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,885,121 times
I do not support gay marriage and will be casting my vote to keep marriage between a man and a woman. However, I do support civil unions for gay couples.

If gay marriage is approved, the only good thing I can see coming out of it is that when they decide to get divorced, it will force the courts to look at things very objectively. No longer will they say, "Man you pay the woman.........". I think this will have a huge impact on divorce in California.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,572,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I do not support gay marriage and will be casting my vote to keep marriage between a man and a woman. However, I do support civil unions for gay couples.

If gay marriage is approved, the only good thing I can see coming out of it is that when they decide to get divorced, it will force the courts to look at things very objectively. No longer will they say, "Man you pay the woman.........". I think this will have a huge impact on divorce in California.
The Ca divorce rate is guessed between 60-75%.... Apparently Ca doesn't keep track of it and isn't technically counted in US statistics, which I found interesting. Heterosexuals have made a mockery of marriage, why not let the gays have a shot at it? The gay couples I know have been together longer than the heteros that I know, who tend to hook up and leave eachother pretty quickly...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,190,260 times
For the life of me, I can't understand why people feel the need to inject themselves into other people's private lives.

Why can't homosexuals simply be married by a judge or church willing to do so, get all of their legal rights, while the anti-homosexual crowd can go on about their lives? Same as mixed race couples can marry at any judge or court willing to marry them, and bigots can sit and stew.

If you dislike gay or interracial couples, you can always simply avoid them. Same way you avoid anyone else practicing something you find objectionable.

If you're so authoritarian, you can always go live in a cave. It would have the added benefit of keeping the gene pool nice and Socially Libertarian.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,885,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
If you dislike gay or interracial couples, you can always simply avoid them. Same way you avoid anyone else practicing something you find objectionable.
There's nothing wrong with gay couples, and there is nothing wrong with interracial couples. We'll not discuss interracial couples here as it has nothing to do with this thread. If you want to, start another thread about that okay?

Again, there's nothing wrong with gay couples, there has always been gay couples and will always be gay couples. I have friends who are gay, and they all know that I am against gay marriage and they are okay with it. Why do you have a problem with civil unions?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,057,366 times
This isn't something the government should be involved with.

I voted no for that reason. Too much government already. Today we ban gay marriage and tomorrow we'll be burning at the stake fathers and sons who hugged in public or stoning girls who showed cleavage or even their faces in public. This stuff never stops there. It builds momentum. I will not plant the seed that grows into totalitarianism. I have no sympathy for homosexuality. I didn't vote no to protect the freedom of gays. I voted no to protect my own freedoms.

This is the kind of thing I'd expect to see in Shiia law. Do we really want to go there?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,550,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the fruits and the nuts?

How do you know there's so many gays where you are? In Oklahoma gays pretty much have to keep it a closely guarded secret who they are.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,190,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
There's nothing wrong with gay couples, and there is nothing wrong with interracial couples. We'll not discuss interracial couples here as it has nothing to do with this thread. If you want to, start another thread about that okay?

Again, there's nothing wrong with gay couples, there has always been gay couples and will always be gay couples. I have friends who are gay, and they all know that I am against gay marriage and they are okay with it. Why do you have a problem with civil unions?
The two are much more similar than you know. Much of the same rhetoric being used against gay marriage was used by segregationists in the early 20th century against interracial couples. Same argument, new target.

My problem with civil-unions is that they are the same separate but equal rubbish that they decided was rubbish decades ago. Same argument, new target.

Either allow gay people to be married, or have the government stop recognizing marriages and recognize only civil unions for all. With marriage being a separate ceremony entirely, only recognized religiously and socially. People can believe what they want to believe in private, but I have a huge problem with a secular government recognizing different standards based on religious thinking.

Gay people getting married has no quantifiable impact on your life. So the rationale for voting against it is purely arbitrary social authoritarianism, which should be universally panned in all free societies.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,781,964 times
Ha!

That is funny, I just saw a poll in this mornings San Jose Mercury News (a HYPER Liberal rag if ever there was one) that said that Prop 8 is WINNING support by a good margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies