Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times

Advertisements

Two of my favorite things, music and sports, would be weak!

Ok, I know, black people are doctors and scholars and college professors, and business entrpreneurs, and if we're lucky, even presidents, but would rock 'n roll even have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM

594 posts, read 1,044,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Two of my favorite things, music and sports, would be weak!

Ok, I know, black people are doctors and scholars and college professors, and business entrpreneurs, and if we're lucky, even presidents, but would rock 'n roll even have happened?
No, it would not have.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
thanks captain! I know this will sound bad, and I will take some hits for it, but I feel that the institution of slavery is evil, but slavery in the USA, turned out to be good for blacks. I can guarantee that 1850 south carolina, is still nicer than modern day ethiopia. I think that it would have also been different, if in 1776, all men were truly created equal. I think it went on too long, and the civil rights movement is still fresh in some minds. if my ancestors didn't come here, I would be stuck living on an island that is being kicked by the boot that is italy. not sure how I would like sicaly, as I have heard horrible things about organized crime. another question you could ask, if slaves didn't come here, would I be here? thanks to slavery, the US was able to build quickly, and industrialize. would the opportunities have existed if not for slaves, and would there have been the incentive for my ancestors to come here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First off, a few 'props'...J, you're one of my favorite CD posters...I enjoy reading your posts, whether I am in total agreement with you, or I say 'WTF was he/she THINKING??!!!', because you ask sane and intelligent questions that beg sane, intelligent answers...

Like this one...as a black man, I've often wondered what life would have been like for my 'ancestors' had there not been slavery, or a Civil War with slavery as one of the root causes...would some enterprising person have taken it upon themselves to leave the continent and explore beyond its' borders, in search of a new life for himself and others?

And what of the many inventions that black folk were responsible for? Would any of those ever have come to fruition had blacks NOT been enslaved? And I totally agree with whomever posted that there would not be all of the historic backlash and conditions (i.e. 'white guilt', 'reparations', etc)...

And JNestorr is right in his/her own way---there most certainly would be fewer of us...but how would that affect future generations---and indeed, what kind of America would we be living in now, based on that particular alternate history?

PS---speaking of 'alternate history', any of my fellow posters who are readers and history buffs should check out the works of one Harry Turtledove...he's written several 'alternate timeline' looks at recent history, and one of his most recent (which just wrapped up, BTW) is a look into his take on what would have happened if the Confederacy had NOT lost the Civil War...no matter which 'side' you were/are on, it's an utterly fascinanting read, and asks (like JMarquise did) a lot of sane and intelligent questions

Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
would rock 'n roll even have happened?

DANG.....never thought about it that way,the blues and R&R latter leading to heavy metal has shaped my life.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
question is in the title of the thread. what would the united states look like if there was never slavery? slaves helped build the nation, but a war fought over slavery destroyed parts of it. I can tell you one thing, I bet it would look very different.
I think it'd be a much better country: more efficient, smarter, less needy, more masculine. (I believe the casualties of the Civil War devastated the independent spirit of the nation... it was a selective force.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
... not having to deal with the historical aftermaths of slavery, treatment of blacks, and stigmas that have former throughout the years.
I think those pale in comparison to the cultural effect of slavery on blacks and, I believe, the culture is the primary contributor to the national response to the former slave race.

The institution broke the race and has made the great majority, as far as I can tell, unsuited to self-governance-- as long as it retains it's current mainstream culture. The practices that the slavers used to keep the blacks down are being repeated generation again and again by themselves on themselves.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There would still be racism, perhaps at a greater level than it is today. Most Americans would be white and the Hispanics would be the "new" blacks in America since there would be practically no black people in America...
That's baseless. About 13% of blacks were not slaves. In the South, about 8% of blacks were free men. There were a number of black plantation owners who had black slaves, and there were numerous villages and towns of free blacks in the South.

Black would have immigrated to the US just as they did in the 1600s to work or to adventure.

You grotesquely misinterpret economic issues as racism. You might want to look at the 1860 Census for southern counties. The principal occupation of whites was "share-cropper."

At the end of the Civil War, you had thousands of free blacks who were also share-cropping. So while you might share-crop for 10 shares, a black family is willing to do it for 8, and then there's a white family willing to di it for 6, and a black family willing to do it for 5.

That doesn't bode well for you, unless you're willing to work for 5 shares or less.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
DANG.....never thought about it that way,the blues and R&R latter leading to heavy metal has shaped my life.
Yeah, you can see the link with bands like Led and Cream and alotta those of the Brit invasion groups. I used to have an old R&B album by Willie Dixon, "I Am The Blues," an album of his original compositions that were all later covered by mostly British groups. Look at the Stones even, that's strong R&B influenced.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
You're not suggesting that there was no slavery in Canada, are you?
Not at all. I know there was:

Historian Marcel Trudel has recorded 4,092 slaves throughout Canadian history, of which 2,692 were aboriginal people, owned mostly by the French, and 1400 blacks owned mostly by the British, together owned by approximately 1400 masters.

In 1793, the administration of Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe passed the Act Against Slavery in Upper Canada
---Wiki

So the total number of people who were introduced to Canada from elsewhere to be slaves was about 1,400. Hardly a significan impact on the country. I think you could say that Canada today would be almost exactly the same as it would have been had there been no slaves at all.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:44 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
question is in the title of the thread. what would the united states look like if there was never slavery? slaves helped build the nation, but a war fought over slavery destroyed parts of it. I can tell you one thing, I bet it would look very different.
Yes, it would look "different."

If there had never been slavery, this implies that there wasn't the supremely ignorant and Neanderthal mindset that forms the basis of Conservative thought. This means that there weren't incredibly ignorant men who felt others were inferior because they were of a different race. This means that there weren't men who thought they could take over another's land and disrupt their way of life because they have bigger guns and think they are entitled. This implies that native Americans and Mexicans would've remained in control of this land, land that rightfully belongs to them, and would've been respected as equals. Warring white Europeans would not have interferred with the rights of these noble native people, would not have felt that they could "claim" this land simply because they "discovered" it.

The native Americans and Mexicans would've continued to develop this land and it would've progressed into a society far more advanced and far more substantive than what currently exists today, with the help from people of other countries. Africans for instance would've been allowed to come here the same as anyone else (as equals) and treated with respect, not as slaves. The South would've been a far more enlightened region of the country, not one rooted in barbaric ignorance that has morphed into a political ideology (Conservative) that promotes racial insensitivity, ignores racial inequities, and fosters divisiveness.

Yes, it would look different, absent the Conservative disruption.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
If there had never been slavery, this implies that there wasn't the supremely ignorant and Neanderthal mindset that forms the basis of Conservative thought...
What exactly is the thought that lead to all that?... and how is it that Conservative thought is based on a right that is known in the heart of man, whereas today's liberal thought is based on a belief that anything the government does is right because morality is subjective?

Do tell, do tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies