Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,083,201 times

Advertisements

Here is the amendment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment

[i]Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. [/I]

I have been following the trial of First Lt. Ehren Watada and wonder what people think about this obstruction of the 1st amendment:

If you are unfamiliar with the case, here is some background written by a journalist following the case:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/020607watada.shtml (broken link)

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,553,374 times
Lightbulb very upsetting-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here is the amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. [/I]

[i]I have been following the trial of First Lt. Ehren Watada and wonder what people think about this obstruction of the 1st amendment:

If you are unfamiliar with the case, here is some background written by a journalist following the case:

I have to check that site more often. I read one poster (and have signed Patriot Act forms) in triplicate----we have to wonder----wtf is all this data going??????And what is the difference between this and a dictatorship.

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM

It troubles me enormously. I wish more people would realize how our rights are being eroded.

You are a buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I have to check that site more often. I read one poster (and have signed Patriot Act forms) in triplicate----we have to wonder----wtf is all this data going??????And what is the difference between this and a dictatorship.

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 07:10 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the ignorance is bliss attitude- from the MOST poor- it is sad- but they are the ones who voted for Dubya--- I did see protestors against Irag in front of Target last week- (Near an army recruit station)

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Amazing, protesters in front of a recruiting station and Targets. Maybe there is still hope for sanity!

Quote:
I never cease to be amazed at the ignorance is bliss attitude- from the MOST poor- it is sad- but they are the ones who voted for Dubya--- I did see protestors against Irag in front of Target last week- (Near an army recruit station)

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM

lol- yeah people are catching on. It is sad. Many here (who live in more rural areas) have lost their sons and daughters. It is a sad state- Isnt this war like Vietnam?

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM

It does feel like Vietnam in many ways. But now we have a man in office who won't listen. Even 37 had the capacity to listen (aka Nixon)!

Quote:
lol- yeah people are catching on. It is sad. Many here (who live in more rural areas) have lost their sons and daughters. It is a sad state- Isnt this war like Vietnam?

sunny

Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

919 posts, read 1,905,559 times
Watada is a COWARD! As an officer he can choose to not follow an "unlawful" order; such as being told to shoot an unarmed prisoner for not answering questions. Just because he THINKs the war is unlawful is NOT a good reason to not go be with the rest of his men that he is responsible for. He left them exsposed. You do not need to debate it, it has not been decared illegal by a court, regardless how you feel. The uniform military code overrides his civilian feelings. The 1st amendment should be changed. many libs want to rewrite the 2nd. Lets start at the top.LOL

Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 AM

753 posts, read 756,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here is the amendment:

[i]Amendment I

I have been following the trial of First Lt. Ehren Watada and wonder what people think about this obstruction of the 1st amendment:

Lt. Watada is subject to the UCMJ. His right to redress isn't the same as a civilian. His channel to petition is his chain of command, which he circumvented.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 AM

It may appear like a black and white situation to you, FFHD, or cowardice to others, but the Lt. enlisted to fight in the Afghani war--a war began in response to attack on US shores.

He continues to state he will fight in that War.

Several constitutional attorneys, quite good ones, believe that the 1st is being tossed to the winds, so to speak, but the Judge's unwillingness to hear any testimony on behalf of the defendant makes it difficult for this to be fairly debated.

The other major issue for the defense is the Lt.'s claim that "The war in Iraq violates our democratic system of checks and balances."

Here is an overview at Common Dreams newsletter taken from the American Statemen (Texas).

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0815-32.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.