Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry but you are wrong if your inference is that Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico have more "white" blood in them, than African or Taino blood.

The Tainos and Africans were mixing their blood well before the introduction of Spanish blood.

Puerto Ricans born in America have more indian blood than black blood??

What did these puerto Ricans do go on the reservations and steal Indian women.

Come on, be for real!

did you google what i'm talking about because if you did you'd see that more than 60% of puerto ricans have native american mtdna,
I'd have to say that spaniards and indians make up the majority of puerto rican ancestry. oh yea the africans came last after the spaniards so the spaniards and natives were mixing first. please do research first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I think there's a lot of variation. To use a couple of famous people from PR, Jorge Posada and Ricky Martin clearly look "white", though more in an "olivy" sense like an average Greek or Italian that a blond, blue eyed Swede.

On the other hand, Roberto Clemente clearly looked black. And Rita Moreno looked somewhere "in between".

Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think there's a lot of variation. To use a couple of famous people from PR, Jorge Posada and Ricky Martin clearly look "white", though more in an "olivy" sense like an average Greek or Italian that a blond, blue eyed Swede.

On the other hand, Roberto Clemente clearly looked black. And Rita Moreno looked somewhere "in between".
To me Posada shows clearly that he is probably mostly white, but that African ancestry is there as well. And yes, there are PRs who look white, those who look Taino, those who look Asian, those who look African, and those who look mulatto or mestizo. The problem is not with acknowledging all of that.

The problem is that many Latin Americans will readily admit to being of Spanish or Native origin, but will run away from their blackness.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm not sure that you are correct about this. My understanding of history is that the majority of indigenous people died/were killed when White settlers landed. Throughout the Caribbean, indigenous people were wiped out from disease, war etc.... As a result, the islands were populated were slaves from Africa. They proved more "hearty", were not as prone to die from disease etc... The majority of African slaves actually landed and stayed in South America and the Caribbean, not North America.

This is not to say that I think PR's are more accepting of their African roots. That hasn't been my experience, but mine is anecdotal.

Funny that you mention Brazil being Eurocentric. Brazil recieved more African slaves than ANY other country during that period.
This is still amazong to me that people are acting like indigenious peoples were not killed off when spain and oirtugal arrived. In less than 100 years the indienous people were practicaly gone and africans were brough in to do the work.

Geesh

Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
To me Posada shows clearly that he is probably mostly white, but that African ancestry is there as well. And yes, there are PRs who look white, those who look Taino, those who look Asian, those who look African, and those who look mulatto or mestizo. The problem is not with acknowledging all of that.

The problem is that many Latin Americans will readily admit to being of Spanish or Native origin, but will run away from their blackness.
I agree that this is the problem. The fact that as one is more confortable "claiming" the Eurpoean rather than the AFrican. Oh well, the Black community has the same issue.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Pacific coast? Of Gulf side? The slave trade didn't include the Pacific coast. Maybe you are referring to some other migration pattern.

There are African descendants on the Pacific (Acapulco, etc) as well as the Caribbean coasts in Mexico.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
did you google what i'm talking about because if you did you'd see that more than 60% of puerto ricans have native american mtdna,
I'd have to say that spaniards and indians make up the majority of puerto rican ancestry. oh yea the africans came last after the spaniards so the spaniards and natives were mixing first. please do research first
Sorry lad, I think it's you who need to do the research!!

The moment the Spainiards arrived they were accompanied by Africans!

"..When Ponce de León and the Spaniards arrived on the island of "Borinken" (Puerto Rico), they were greeted by the Cacique Agüeybaná, the supreme leader of the peaceful Taíno tribes on the island. Agüeybaná helped to maintain the peace between the Taínos and the Spaniards. According to historian Ricardo Alegria, the first free black man set foot on the island in 1509. He was Juan Garrido, a conquistador who belonged to Juan Ponce de León's entourage. Garrido was born on the West African coast, the son of an African King. In 1508, he joined Juan Ponce de Leon to explore Puerto Rico and prospect for gold.."

"..The majority of the Conquistadors and farmers who settled the island had arrived without women, and many of them intermarried with the blacks or Tainos. This mixture formed the basis of the early Puerto Rican population.."

Your entire premise is incorrect on it's face.

Sorry, well not really;
your entire culture from the genesis of Spanish contact, contains the DNA of Africans.
Your language, customs ,food, politics, Language , and music were all influenced by Africans.

Please do more research so that you can reply with fact, and not the need to distance yourself from the African in you.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Reading through many of the posts on this thread it seems to me that some people really have a convoluted concept of "whiteness".

Why is "whiteness" such a coveted status, because of colonialism? As if "blackness" is to be avoided like the plague.

I think it's laughable that "mestizos" who have majority indigenous native Indian blood consider themselves "white". I suppose anyone can have the impression they prefer about their ancestry, but genetically it's simply not the case because their DNA goes back to the Asian continent. And for the record, everyone's genetic ancestry started in Africa.

These "racial" concepts people cling to are so ridiculous.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry lad, I think it's you who need to do the research!!

The moment the Spainiards arrived they were accompanied by Africans!

"..When Ponce de León and the Spaniards arrived on the island of "Borinken" (Puerto Rico), they were greeted by the Cacique Agüeybaná, the supreme leader of the peaceful Taíno tribes on the island. Agüeybaná helped to maintain the peace between the Taínos and the Spaniards. According to historian Ricardo Alegria, the first free black man set foot on the island in 1509. He was Juan Garrido, a conquistador who belonged to Juan Ponce de León's entourage. Garrido was born on the West African coast, the son of an African King. In 1508, he joined Juan Ponce de Leon to explore Puerto Rico and prospect for gold.."

"..The majority of the Conquistadors and farmers who settled the island had arrived without women, and many of them intermarried with the blacks or Tainos. This mixture formed the basis of the early Puerto Rican population.."

Your entire premise is incorrect on it's face.

Sorry, well not really;
your entire culture from the genesis of Spanish contact, contains the DNA of Africans.
Your language, customs ,food, politics, Language , and music were all influenced by Africans.

Please do more research so that you can reply with fact, and not the need to distance yourself from the African in you.

Uh no, I'm pretty right. our ancestry list goes in this order european (mainly spanish) then native american then african. I'm not saying there isn't any african ancestry I'm just saying not every puerto rican has it and judging by what I've read less than half of puerto ricans do.Demographics of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (genetic study section)

The majority of our mtdna comes from native americans.

the majority of our y dna comes from spaniards.

http://www.centrelink.org/kearnsdna.html (broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 AM

I have a problem with the study you quoted becuuse I can't find the number of people that participated. If the sample was 100 folks, the study is not as convincing. I also can not find the year that the study was conducted. BUT

To quote your acticle.

"Conversely, in a study done on Puerto Rican women born on the island but living in NY by Carolina Bonilla, Mark D. Shriver and Esteban Parra in 2004, the ancestry proportions corresponding to the three parental populations were found to be 53.3±2.8% European, 29.1±2.3% West African, and 17.6±2.4% Native American based on autosomal ancestry informative markers. Autosomal markers tests have been shown to draw a larger picture than that of gender based mtDNA and Y-Chromosome tests. More interesting was to see how much of the population showed any markers of each region. 98% of the people sampled had European ancestry markers, 87% had African ancestry markers, 84% had Native American ancestry markers, 5% showed only African and European markers, 4% showed only Native American and European markers, 2% showed only African markers, and 2% showed only European marker"

This is from your link .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Uh no, I'm pretty right. our ancestry list goes in this order european (mainly spanish) then native american then african. I'm not saying there isn't any african ancestry I'm just saying not every puerto rican has it and judging by what I've read less than half of puerto ricans do.Demographics of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (genetic study section)

The majority of our mtdna comes from native americans.

the majority of our y dna comes from spaniards.

http://www.centrelink.org/kearnsdna.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies