Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Don't disagree with you Mike, but if this is the line you can take in the forum what exactly is your role as moderator?
Mods are to stop/delete spam, crude language, racism, personal attacks and off-topic material.

Mods are NOT here to limit honest debate, nor to stifle their own personal expression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,183,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
...if Teddy said he was still gay, you would quote many passages from the bible saying how “wrong” he is, but since he says he’s straight, oh, we shouldn’t “rejoice” in his downfall.
I never said he was over his sin of homosexuality did I? Your right I would always use the truth of God's word to show the unrighteous their sins, just as we're supposed to. It just happens that a lot of people are making fun and rejoicing in the fall of another. Point out the hyprocracy and the bad results of this, yes. But we ought not to rejoice in the fact that he failed.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,048,769 times
I don't rejoice in his fall--nor any man or woman's fall--but I do gloat somewhat at his hypocrisy.

Don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I never said he was over his sin of homosexuality did I? Your right I would always use the truth of God's word to show the unrighteous their sins, just as we're supposed to. It just happens that a lot of people are making fun and rejoicing in the fall of another. Point out the hyprocracy and the bad results of this, yes. But we ought not to rejoice in the fact that he failed.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 PM

753 posts, read 754,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mods are to stop/delete spam, crude language, racism, personal attacks and off-topic material.

Mods are NOT here to limit honest debate, nor to stifle their own personal expression.
I see. Again, I don't part with you on your opinion, but it is strange to have moderators express opinion on a board they are responsible for policing.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM

702 posts, read 2,519,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Are moderators to stop/delete homophobia in addtion racism? Which by the way there is RAMPANT racism in this forum with racist remarks and attacks floating throughout the different topics.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,361,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It just happens that a lot of people are making fun and rejoicing in the fall of another. Point out the hyprocracy and the bad results of this, yes. But we ought not to rejoice in the fact that he failed.
Well when you have a big religious leader who is able to provide advice to our political leaders to enforce their beliefs on others, when in fact they were engaging in the activity they feel was abhorrent, then I think they deserve to be brought out and publicly ridiculed. They used their position to limit the rights and freedoms of others and degrade their behavior, when in fact they were hypocrites. If he had personal issues and didn’t force anything on anyone, then yes, maybe we shouldn’t rejoice, but he’s not some anonymous person who had a belief, he was a person in a position to force a belief on others. For that, he gets no sympathy from me nor do I think he even deserves it. Reap what you sow.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Are moderators to stop/delete homophobia in addtion racism? Which by the way there is RAMPANT racism in this forum with racist remarks and attacks floating throughout the different topics.
No, apparently we are permitted to say that you are committing the "perverted sick sin of homosexuality"

And we haven't even broached the subject of "lust in your heart", (ala Jimmy Carter). What if you are a celebate homosexual?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM

702 posts, read 2,519,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
What if you are a celebate homosexual?

Is that possible??? I've never seen those two words used in the same sentence!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Is that possible??? I've never seen those two words used in the same sentence!
Ha! Well I'm betting that Ted is for the time being, so that's one.

What about a celebate widow who has lust in her heart? Guess that's sinning, too.

Let's face it, we're all "committing perverted sick sin" according to some. As opposed to healthy sin.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
All gay people go through inner turmoil and fear of what will happen if we go ahead and admit it. It's only after it's been said and done that we realize the weight of the burden we had been carrying and it suddenly feels really good...and then life begins...
Excellent insight! I still remember "coming out" a few years ago while still enrolled in high school. I happened to have had a very popular MySpace profile at the time because I was an active political blogger that drew quite a bit of attention to myself. When my parents broke up my ex-boyfriend and I because they "didn't want me to bring shame to the family", I decided to be a bit ballsy and finally clear the air with a new blog detailing how my parents destroyed my relationship with my "Beloved Brooklyn Bulldog" and about how suicidal I was for feeling as if nobody in this narrow-minded, upper-middle-class, Conservative town would ever want to speak to me ever again now that they knew what a horrible person I was. I blogged about this on Friday night, and then went to bed in tears.

When I arose on Saturday, I saw reply after reply after reply to my blog from various friends, all of whom offered me their support, love, and companionship during this "difficult time." I walked into my high school Monday morning expecting to be met with a crowd of straight guys pinning me to the ground for defiling the male race, but instead I was pleasantly surprised to once again be met with generally positive response. There was a sense of "denial" among many of my peers, who said that I was the one they'd least expect to have been gay, given my masculinity. Most people shrugged it off; others embraced me even more. Some more even confided in me that they, too, were "in the closet" and fearful of coming out because they might have the same fallout that I had with my family (my Republican parents still don't respect me, about three years later, for "choosing to be gay.")

Straight people never have to wake up and worry "will this be they day they find out I'm attracted to members of the opposite sex?" As such, you straights truly have no idea just how terrifying, tear-inducing, and nerve-wracking it is to finally "come out." I even attempted suicide because I felt like such an outcast to my Conservative, deeply-religious family. It's been several years now, and most of those wounds with my parents are still stinging me every night like open sores on my soul. Do any of you truly know what it feels like to finally admit to your parents that you tried killing yourself only to have your father say to you "If that's what you wanted, then I should have taken you out back and shot you in the head." I also got the "shame" treatment of "All the guys in the office are always bragging about their sons, and then when it comes to be my turn, I don't have anything to say." I find myself in violent shaking tremors at times form the stress I still endure years after coming out, so, no, it is NOT like you'll instantly have a large burden lifted off of your shoulders because you'll instantly lose the respect of your family as well. Losing my one true love over this fiasco has also left me lonelier than ever (Hell, I'm even talking to a bunch of mid-life crisis 50-year-old suburban soccer moms on City-Data when I should be out drinking, partying, getting high, clubbing, or having wild sex orgies like most of my college peers).

I'm just so tired of hearing Republican banter about anti-gay this and anti-gay that. Guess what? I just joined a new political action group on Facebook entitled "Against gay marriage? Then don't get one, and shut the *$*# up!" Why don't you Republicans start tackling the real issues in this country, such as why the economy STILL SUCKS when Bush says it's great, why we're STILL STUCK IN IRAQ when we should have already been out, why NOBODY is concerned about global warming, etc.? Instead, you're all worried about "Adam and Steve?" Holy canoli!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-11-2007 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies