Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times

Advertisements

I read this in the newspaper yesterday, and wanted to share it with all of you and get your opinions: {1} GAY INMATES will have the right to marry soon, their free partners, in the State of California. {2} In 2007, California became the first state in the nation to allow overnight conjugal visits to gay prisoners, with their registered partners. {3} Since these issues will obviously impact the jails' budgets, facilities, and taxes in the states and federal levels, in some way, how do you feel about it, if it were to happen in your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I read this in the newspaper yesterday, and wanted to share it with all of you and get your opinions: {1} GAY INMATES will have the right to marry soon, their free partners, in the State of California. {2} In 2007, California became the first state in the nation to allow overnight conjugal visits to gay prisoners, with their registered partners. {3} Since these issues will obviously impact the jails' budgets, facilities, and taxes in the states and federal levels, in some way, how do you feel about it, if it were to happen in your state.
Can strait con's get married while one is in prison?? Because I think it's a travisty that ANYONE has ANY rights while they are in prison......I still think they should all be served bread and water only...... i'm serious

Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
I'm not sure I understand allowing people to get married while they're in prison.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I heard this somewhere..."Why not let homosexuals marry?...let them be as miserable as the heterosexuals!

I have no problem with it.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
That is really cold-hearted of you to say and think that. The law says that people are not to be imprisoned with cruel and unusual punishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Can strait con's get married while one is in prison?? Because I think it's a travisty that ANYONE has ANY rights while they are in prison......I still think they should all be served bread and water only...... i'm serious

Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is really cold-hearted of you to say and think that. The law says that people are not to be imprisoned with cruel and unusual punishments.
I personally don't believe that inmates should have no rights. But I'm not really seeing the purpose of allowing people to get married while in prison. It kind of seems superfluous to me. Granted, it isn't something I've given a lot of thought to.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
why not. i dont see what impact it will have on the state. if conjugal visits exist for all married prisoners and gays have the right to marry now, why choose and pick who can have conjugal visits.

no problem here.
i could be wrong tho.

i do wonder what the benefit in marrying a con is.
i would be against marrying someone in jail. what if they are in for murder and a civil suit is brought upon them, as their spouse would i be held accountable?

do you do it for benefits?

im sure some one does it for love, or because they were together before the con was locked up, but still...
its like those pen pal pages. write a convict pages. teen angel magazines. people want to enter into relationships with prisoners.

interesting it is.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I guess we disagree but how am I cold-hearted? You do know that prison is for criminals right? People who gave up thier rights when they decided to violate the rights of other innocent people.......and what is so cruel and unusual about what I said??? Okay so maybe I was joking a tad bit but seriously......they get to go to college for free and eat for free, they get free clothse and free access to a gym and a court and god knows whatelse.....while there are good citiczens out there who can't go to college because they can't afford it.....and while there are non-criminals out there sleeping on the side of the road, hungry, cold and opportunity-less........Who's cold hearted here???

Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
The U.S. Constitution affords rights to prisoners. Our rights as citizens extend past prison gates.

The right to marry is a fundamental right protected by the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution. Prisoners have the right to marry. A state that allows same sex couples to marry cannot limit the right to marry to only straight couples. To do so would be a clear violation of the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

Don't like any of this? You'll love China or Burma or North Korea, where citizen rights are very limited (or nonexistent).

Last edited by professorsenator; 09-17-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Excellent points

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The U.S. Constitution affords rights to prisoners. Our rights as citizens extend past prison gates.

The right to marry is a fundamental right protected by the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution. Prisoners have the right to marry. A state that allows same sex couples to marry cannot limit the right to marry to only straight couples. Again, to do so would be a clear violation of the Constitution.

Don't like any of this? You'll love China or Burma or North Korea, where citizen rights are very limited (or nonexistent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies