Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times

Advertisements

There are book smarts and real world smarts. A good education plus real world experience leads to the most qualified people, generally speaking. There are always the Bill Gates exceptions, but an education provides many tools for a person to succeed and also broadens their horizons. There are benefits to a good education that go beyond simply increasing personal income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
There are book smarts and real world smarts. A good education plus real world experience leads to the most qualified people, generally speaking. There are always the Bill Gates exceptions, but an education provides many tools for a person to succeed and also broadens their horizons. There are benefits to a good education that go beyond simply increasing personal income.

Of course, well put.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
No, not well put. Limiting the concept to 'books' misses the main point. Long before there were books, there were poeple who stood out in society because the possessed the kinds of smarts that we call "book smarts".

Intelligence is the innate capacity to use books and many, many other windows to the world, to gather and integrate what is available to be learned. The curiosity to gather a number of low-value pieces of information , and the mental organization to assemble them nto a single, unified high-value piece of information.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,786,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Intelligence is the innate capacity to use books and many, many other windows to the world, to gather and integrate what is available to be learned. The curiosity to gather a number of low-value pieces of information , and the mental organization to assemble them nto a single, unified high-value piece of information.
Does intelligence also include being able to construct a complete English sentence? I refer to your last sentence which is missing a verb.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 AM

129 posts, read 399,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Sorry, but proving Fermat's last theorem has little relevance to MOST people's everyday lives. And you assume that my hairdesser could not learn this simply because she's a hairdresser. That's an elitist supposition on your part.

There is more than one type of intelligence. This website will introduce you to 9 types of intelligence. Being able to master complicated mathematical problems is only ONE type.
The Nine Types of Intelligence.

I repeat my previous statement: let's not confuse intelligence with education.
Why you jumpin on jtur88 for this so called elitism, when you didn't jump on the OP for his cut on some "college edumacated, blah blah blahs" who can't do his $100K job? Is the OP somehow saying that colleged educated individuals aren't as worthy as non-colleged educated individuals?

Also, OP - you're saying that education doesn't equal intelligence, but intelligence equals dollars? Not so my friend. It seems as though you're trying to state that education or no education all people are created equal, *except* you're better since you are making $100k per year without going to college.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,786,751 times
Quote:
If your hairdresser, in school, had shown any promise at all of being a potential mathemetician or engineer or financier or doctor, she would not be hairdresser. It is the limited amount of recognized intelligence that left her with limited career opportunities.
Again, this is an elitist supposition on your part. I have, in my family, a Princeton Unversity grad, who also graduated at the top of his class from Georgetown University Law school. He now works as a carpenter because he HATED law and LOVES working with his hands. Don't assume that everyone who doesn't go to college, couldn't go to college. It may be true in the case of my hairdresser, but don't assume that of every trade person you meet.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,265 times
[quote=jtur88;5335246]No, not well put. Limiting the concept to 'books' misses the main point. Long before there were books, there were poeple who stood out in society because the possessed the kinds of smarts that we call "book smarts".

Intelligence is the innate capacity to use books and many, many other windows to the world, to gather and integrate what is available to be learned. The curiosity to gather a numborer of low-value pieces of information , and the mental organization to assemble them nto a single, unified high-value piece of information.[

OR failing that control the means of force which is what happenned 99%
of the time.GEEEEEZzzzz

Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
"Ability" enables us to post a thread in CD's Politics Section.
"Intelligence" enables us to walk away after hearing the dribble many people have to offer.
PS: I am able, not intelligent

Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times
Quote:
No, not well put. Limiting the concept to 'books' misses the main point. Long before there were books, there were poeple who stood out in society because the possessed the kinds of smarts that we call "book smarts".

Whatever. Point remains that a good education assists individuals in developing and honing their curiosity and their "gathering and integration" skills, and in deciding how to best focus those skills.

They are thus better equipped to apply what they have integrated and honed in their work and in their personal lives.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Does intelligence also include being able to construct a complete English sentence? I refer to your last sentence which is missing a verb.
The second "sentence" is a phrase, an additional object to the original "Intelligence is . . ." from the first sentence. A common device in compositon. (Note that I just did it again.) The two could have been separated by a semicolon instead of a full-stop, which would have made your diagramming assignment a little more orthodox. But because of their length, I exercised poetic license (permissible in English, but not French or Spanish) and opted for better clarity and comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies