Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM

332 posts, read 446,336 times

Advertisements

Obivously their is some closeted predjudice people on this board, because for the past few weeks their has been quite a few posts talking about how blacks bring negative things to our communities. I just don't understand all the negativity on this board lately! Yes, I know "SOME" blacks happen to have a bad reputation and do negative things, but to pretty much critcize our culture and style is wrong! I do believe we deserve a Black History much because all the things our ancestors and people have suffered back than, but it is not only celebrating our heritage but also honoring the people and heros who risked their lives and lost their lives to try and change the worlds view on African Americans (that includes white people as well who helped make a difference). I've notice people sit and say how much they hate "racism", but you keep giving the word more power when you criticize onces culture and way of life.

I'm not asking you all to go out and celebrate Black History Month, but atleast respect it and not make it out to be a ploy of some type of racism toward whites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,407,004 times
Wink this is true

An old Irish saying but it fits the moment:

'May those who love us, love us.

And for those who don't love us,

May God turn their hearts.

And if he can not turn their hearts,

May he turn their ankles,

So we may know them by their limping.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.'

It is wrong and foolish to hold grudges against others.

We all know it. Time to enjoy whatever time may be left. A nut could decide to blow us all off the face of the earth. Who knows?

sls

Nice to meet you. I am a Caucasian female Boomer. LOL--former Disco Queen among other things.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM

702 posts, read 2,520,309 times
It seems to be a small minority of people in this forum who are constantly trying to provoke racist discussions. Many of the posts are strikingly similar, which leads me to believe that they have multiple identities. Sometimes you just have to read the filth, maybe laugh at if you can, and remember them in your prayers. No matter how well you can state your point, you're not going to change a closed and locked mind...at least not through these forums. Anyone with any knowledge of civil rights and all of the struggles (even still in 2007) would agree that Black History Month is a positive event.

Being an elementary teacher, my school has each grade level choose a broad topic concerning black Americans...authors, entertainers, inventors, athletes, scientists, artists, etc. Then the teachers in that grade decide how to approach the project and divide it between the different classes. It's a lot of fun, even thought we already have a packed day every day...the projects are always very worthwhile and I believe kids have an opportunity to learn and grow from it. Last year our topic was entertainers...in my classroom we made a 25 foot poster divided into decades. The kids wrote names of famous entertainers from that decade on yellow stars and we decorated it with cut outs of musical notes/ballet slippers/drama faces. I learned some new names from the early and mid 1900's. One revelation we had was the huge increase in the number of black entertainers over the years. In the 1920's we only had about 10 names, and that illustrated the discrimination that was prevelant in that decade. Each decade the number of names increased for two reasons...the entertainment industry was growing and becoming more popular, and black americans were getting more opportunities to participate in entertainment as well as other industries. Also opportunity increase in more diverse areas of entertainment, like dance, comedy, symphony, etc...It was a nice project and the finished poster looked great.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,054,239 times
Madmann101, it does seem as if many on the forum are expressing angry and even hatred in some of the threads. I can't and won't apologize for them, but I hope you also see some of the posts that attempt to defuse this anger.

I know how much it hurts me to see this amount of venom, and the only thing I have been able to do is put them on "ignore." I have decided that for me this is the only way I can tolerate being a part of the P&oC forum and not jump through the screen and either scream or attack those that have so much anti-Black prejudice. And other ignorant prejudices as well. But, let's face it, in person or on screen, people will think, feel and say what they will.

Strangely, one or two claim to be Black themselves--that stuns me more. And it confuses me. But people can pretend to be anything on the internet and in some ways this give them more freedom to either be a hero or a villain.

And, thank you for bringing up this question, and sharing how much it disturbs you because perhaps it will change just one person's thinking or one person's way of expressing their spleen.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM

464 posts, read 751,625 times
Quote:
Obivously their is some closeted predjudice people on this board, because for the past few weeks their has been quite a few posts talking about how blacks bring negative things to our communities. I just don't understand all the negativity on this board lately! Yes, I know "SOME" blacks happen to have a bad reputation and do negative things, but to pretty much critcize our culture and style is wrong! I do believe we deserve a Black History much because all the things our ancestors and people have suffered back than, but it is not only celebrating our heritage but also honoring the people and heros who risked their lives and lost their lives to try and change the worlds view on African Americans (that includes white people as well who helped make a difference). I've notice people sit and say how much they hate "racism", but you keep giving the word more power when you criticize onces culture and way of life.

I'm not asking you all to go out and celebrate Black History Month, but atleast respect it and not make it out to be a ploy of some type of racism toward whites.
i would agree that having a black history month isn't a type of racism toward whites, but i did hear something from a movie that i agree with. the movie said that it's reverse racism trying to make everyone feel bad for wat happened, ya it was really bad what the blacks went through and i'm glad that part of history is over but u don't see us having a jewish history month for wat the jews went through during the holocaust. i'm not trying to bring this black holiday down any but it does seem a little unfair to me that the blacks get their own month, at school there was a student government for the latino's and i never understood this either

Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,114,799 times
Some of the threads here have absolutely shocked me! I thought a lot of those attitudes went away years ago but from posting here I can see that they are still alive and well. Many of these posters must live in areas that don't have a lot of racial/ethnic diversity because these attitudes are straight out of the 1950s.

I would follow the advice someone else posted above and put people on Ignore if their posts are annoying.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 AM

172 posts, read 308,789 times
Perhaps you don't, but reading between the lines that's what you infer.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,114,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
Perhaps you don't, but reading between the lines that's what you infer.
Huh? What are you commenting on? This comment makes no sense without knowing what you are referring to.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 AM

22,847 posts, read 28,076,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Obivously their is some closeted predjudice people on this board
Closeted? I've seen comments that are in no way closeted. They are quite openly racist.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 AM

464 posts, read 751,625 times
Quote:
Some of the threads here have absolutely shocked me! I thought a lot of those attitudes went away years ago but from posting here I can see that they are still alive and well. Many of these posters must live in areas that don't have a lot of racial/ethnic diversity because these attitudes are straight out of the 1950s.

I would follow the advice someone else posted above and put people on Ignore if their posts are annoying.
i live in a large city with a lot of ethnic diversity all i was asking is why do blacks have their own month but other racies that have been discriminated against do not? i used the halocaust and jews as an example before but another one is native americans they were also discriminated against but you don't see November being native american month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies