U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The U.S. Congress Write Legislation To Protect Veterans With PTSD From Discrimination
Yes 14 66.67%
No 6 28.57%
Not Sure 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:49 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,622,801 times

Advertisements

Should The U.S. Congress Write Legislation To Protect Veterans With PTSD From Discrimination
I just added this poll in two areas.

Here in this message forum and at:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...eys?id=2429184
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,589,257 times
Congress should pass any bill possible that is designed to help our veterans. I have to say I was not aware of any sort of discrimination against veterans with PTSD. Is there any additional information about this online?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,089,459 times
No. They should eliminate Social Security and Medicare in order to eliminate the 17% tax burden on everyone when they start a business. This will give greater opportunity for them to build an environment which can be molded to their own needs.

Adding legislation only reduces competition and results in less opportunity for all.

Special interest groups, even when they're veterans, shouldn't try taking advantage of others.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Congress should pass any bill possible that is designed to help our veterans. I have to say I was not aware of any sort of discrimination against veterans with PTSD. Is there any additional information about this online?
Someone will soon post his story. No one discriminates against veterans more than the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a vet gets accepted into the VA health system, the care is very good.
But it is all the games a vet goes through when they deal with the VA administration. Here's a good story: VA Busted Again Over Poor Diagnosis and Mistreatment of PTSD Vets - Salem-News.Com

Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Did you ever hear of Reasonable Disability Accommodations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
No. They should eliminate Social Security and Medicare in order to eliminate the 17% tax burden on everyone when they start a business. This will give greater opportunity for them to build an environment which can be molded to their own needs.

Adding legislation only reduces competition and results in less opportunity for all.

Special interest groups, even when they're veterans, shouldn't try taking advantage of others.

Did you ever hear of Reasonable Disability Accommodations?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:27 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,828,704 times
ProudCap I would imagine Vets with PTSD are already covered by the ADA no?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,944 times
Angry Veterans are special interest?

Since when? Men and women coming back from war need to be treated the same and equal to everyone else. It is obvious that you do not have PTSD or a war trauma injury. They just need a little compassion,not need to be told when they ask for help they are a SPECIAL INTEREST. Their lives were in jeopardy in a combat zone to not only protect themselves, but the kids,the civilians,their buddies,their country. By the way, I am a disabled Vietnam Vet!! They should also have reasonable accommadations for being disabled

Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 PM

19,868 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Congress needs to stay the hell out of it, and if they cannot manage to tear themselves away, they at least need to include provisions to bar civil suits against companies.

In that way, if the veteran shoots 50 employees the families of the victims will not be able to sue the company for damages.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,089,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Did you ever hear of Reasonable Disability Accommodations?
Have you ever heard of linguistic indeterminacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinbob View Post
Men and women coming back from war need to be treated the same and equal to everyone else.
I agree. Let's not give anyone special treatment then.

Quote:
It is obvious that you do not have PTSD or a war trauma injury.
Actually, I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to an exceptionally violent childhood and I do still live with the symptoms of it. I've learned to live in such a way that circumstances that cause my stress level to rise can be avoided. That's why I suggest we get the government out of our lives so that these men and women can have an easier time of finding the right path for them... because a government program will do only two things: give benefits to those who don't deserve it and force those who do deserve it to behave in a way that might not be authentic because they're afraid of losing the benefits and not being able to compete in the open market when those who are acting right are competing with advantage.

Quote:
They just need a little compassion,not need to be told when they ask for help they are a SPECIAL INTEREST.
You don't think they should be held accountable for their actions? You think a special interest group shouldn't be called out if they claim they're victims?

Quote:
Their lives were in jeopardy in a combat zone to not only protect themselves, but the kids,the civilians,their buddies,their country. By the way, I am a disabled Vietnam Vet!! They should also have reasonable accommadations for being disabled
Great. I'm a special interest too. My old man died in Viet Nam and my grandfather's legs were left in Korea. Help me, buddy! Help me!

You can't level the playing field. All of us have struggles and hardships. When you use the government to measure them, you're putting a bull in the china shop. My childhood suffering was significantly related to the consequences of war. Why do I owe someone for their suffering when I haven't been compensated for my own? Because special interest groups are selfish. That's why.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 24,773 times
Default Should pass legislation?

Yes, congress should protect vets with PTSD. It is a very serious condition that robs you of the ability to go out in public, remember things that you just did and requires serious medical attention. If you do not have it, you do not know anything about it. Walk a week in a PTSD vets shoes, then tell me they do not deserve to have their civil rights protected.
I know, I have PTSD & life is pure hell!!
I had 2 county deputies jump me as I was working as an announcer at a local speedway. They tried to pull me into a fight. I didn't bite, so the started harassing me. The sheriff, county mayor, attorney general or no one else will do any thing about it.

Like a said walk a week in my shoes, then tell me you do not think legislation should be approved to protect vets with PTSD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies