Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot tossed around about experience (or lack thereof). But Just look at this.

1. Lincoln: Congressman for four years before becoming the president. He had the hardest job of any of us. Saved the Union. Quite an accomplishment.

2. T. Roosevelt: Governor of New York for a year and a half (Like Palin) before becoming McKinley's running mate in 1900. Ushered in the Progressive era that led to major, much needed Reforms

3. FDR: Governor of New York for just four years before getting elected. He led us through the depression and WWII

4. Truman: A minor midwest senator with no foreign policy experience, and Vice Pres. for less than six months when FDR died. He led us through the onset of the Cold War.

I think we can say these were all capable men without much experience. But they seemed able to handle the job without destroying the country (especially in Lincoln's case). So I think everyone shouldn't look at how many years someone was in office, but what they've done in the little time they had in office. Whatever side you're on, you should ask yourself how adept they are, not how long they were in politics just my opinion.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
How much better are you at surfing the web and operating your computer than you were the first day you sat down at a keyboard. Experience.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,518 times
Please do not compare Obama to any of the above. With 143 days experience, I doubt that one could obtain a management position at McDonald's.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM

532 posts, read 908,380 times
I'd rather have someone younger and less experienced but who seems to have a passion for civil service and a fair share of intelligence than someone older, made cynical by a long career in politics who doesn't think things can be better.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
I've gotta say that the list you came up with don't play out well with me... most are responsible for the destruction of liberty and had no respect for the Constitution. So if that's a trait that you want to associate with inexperience, go for it.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
A person elected to the Presidency who does not have all the background experience can still be efficient in the position of responsibility he/she is elected too. If the elected President had all the knowledge needed then why would he/she need all the advisers as some of those who are advising todays administration. Not all Presidents come with a silver spoon as proven in recent history. It may take someone with a little "hutzwa" to get things done quickly. A pretty face and a nice smile can do wonders sometimes. Steve

Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally posted by: Momma Mia
Please do not compare Obama to any of the above. With 143 days experience, I doubt that one could obtain a management position at McDonald's.
I wasn't necessarily comparing Obama to them. I didn't even mention Obama. It's not Obama's lack of experience that bothers me, it his ineptness and naivte (sp?)

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,504 times
In the corporate sector, I see many 30 year old Vice Presidents who learned more about doing a terrific job in their field in a few years than others do in 20 years.

But with a President of the United States, it takes a mixture of talent, skills, education, political skills, and experience. I suspect that Obama and Palin may not be ready for the job for another ten years. They need more experience, maturity and seasoning. Neither is ready for the most difficult job in America.

Last edited by Refugee56; 09-22-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
I think that a President doesn't have to have the highest IQ in the country, but be smart enough to know that they need to surround themselves with good people that have the knowledge in the areas they are in charge of.
That makes a great leader and manager, IMO.
Someone that claims to be a know it all has no place in the office and we've had that in the past. That's why we are where we are today.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
The only people that have real experience at the Presidency are those who have held the job. No one else can really no what to expect, regardless of being told. So, imho, those who claim be have the experience are once again just telling people what they want to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies