Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The past week has seen the US economy rocked by some of the worst global financial turmoil in decades, with venerable firms collapsing, global banks and governments pouring huge sums of money into financial markets in a bid to ease turmoil and thousands facing unemployment or financial ruin.

As US officials announce planned measures to tackle the crisis, Al Jazeera asked five prominent economists - Does the crisis signal the end of US-style capitalism? And if so, what are the lessons learned?
This may not be the end of US style capitalism, but the latest Wall Street debacle and the "nationalizing" of a significant part of the US financial economy, certainly places US capitalism on "life support". And the "life support" is the US Treasury and Treasury Secretary Paulson will be handed the "keys" to the "treasure room" with little to no restrictions.

Al Jazeera English - Americas - Is this the end of US capitalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
It died about 50 yrs ago.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This may not be the end of US style capitalism, but the latest Wall Street debacle and the "nationalizing" of a significant part of the US financial economy, certainly places US capitalism on "life support".
There has been no "nationalizing." When a government nationalizes an industry it expropriates the assets.

I don't see where the government has seized anything.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There has been no "nationalizing." When a government nationalizes an industry it expropriates the assets.

I don't see where the government has seized anything.
Unless you and I are not on the same planet, the US Treasury has committed Billions of taxpayer, no make that Chinese and Indian, dollars to bail out the investment banking industry. When a government owns the assets and liabilities of a business, it's called "nationalization". It's the same manner that Hugo Chavez and Venezuela own the assets of Citgo Oil Corp. The $700 Billion (More like $1 Trillion) bail out (Nationalization) bill now being argued in Congress, represents the largest transfer of wealth from the US Treasury to the private financial markets. You can call it "nationalization" or "socialization", the bottom line is the same, government ownership of what was once private capital.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Unless you and I are not on the same planet, the US Treasury has committed Billions of taxpayer, no make that Chinese and Indian, dollars to bail out the investment banking industry. When a government owns the assets and liabilities of a business, it's called "nationalization". It's the same manner that Hugo Chavez and Venezuela own the assets of Citgo Oil Corp. The $700 Billion (More like $1 Trillion) bail out (Nationalization) bill now being argued in Congress, represents the largest transfer of wealth from the US Treasury to the private financial markets. You can call it "nationalization" or "socialization", the bottom line is the same, government ownership of what was once private capital.
Hey, you get it. In capitalism, when a business goes belly up, its because it did something wrong, like it or not, and there is always someone else with a better plan to succeed you. This bailout is communism or something like that, for the rich, so they get to keep the millions they swiped from you, and laugh at you.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Can you say Fascism!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Those corrupt investment bankers and stockbrokers probably pocketed most of the money, its not beyond them to do so. Hopefully one more Republican administration starting in November will finally break the hold of the East Coast NY based liberal elite from their stranglehold on our country.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Those corrupt investment bankers and stockbrokers probably pocketed most of the money, its not beyond them to do so. Hopefully one more Republican administration starting in November will finally break the hold of the East Coast NY based liberal elite from their stranglehold on our country.
Is Bush and Cheney east coast liberal elite? I just wish there was a Kennedy in charge.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70

freefall
Quote:
Is Bush and Cheney east coast liberal elite? I just wish there was a Kennedy in charge.
As I am almost 62 years of age, I am hoping not to experience another Republican Administration before I take my eternal dirt nap!

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 09-23-2008 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Edit format.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
You amaze me with your sheer ignorance. Who has been in power for the last 6 years? Who has had a executive power and veto privilage for the last 8years? The republicans have done enough damage to the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies