Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM

124 posts, read 253,129 times

Advertisements

A shame that it has come to this. The wall street gamblers have us over a barrel. However I support the bailout because....

all of the other options are far worse. If this does NOT pass we could have:

- an enormous stock market crash wiping out retirements
- a run on the dollar
- a rush to withdraw money market funds
- the failure of several large banks
- a run on all of the banks
- widespread bank failures
- gas shortages
- food shortages
- dogs and cats living together - (ok that's enough - Ed)

However if it does not pass I am going to remove all of my money market funds from the bank and I WILL be stocking up on gas and food.

Yeah this will never happen! - just like the largest Insurance Company in the World could never fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
who cares! thats just a pitiful excuse to cover up for that huge dump this crountry made. honestly if you look at it in a diffrent retrospective, we wouldnt been in this mess if we had no war! Instead of going into other peoples houses to make shure its safe, why not focus on strengthening our homeland defence? 7 frikken years is long enough dont you think. So yeah go ahead and support whatever you want, but it wont solve the issue, its just going to make it better for a little while. Honestly I am patriotic as hell, but I have not supported this pointless war, and the troops are the ones that are getting the short end of the stick!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
A shame that it has come to this. The wall street gamblers have us over a barrel. However I support the bailout because....

- a run on the dollar
- gas shortages
- food shortages

However if it does not pass I am going to remove all of my money market funds from the bank and I WILL be stocking up on gas and food.

Yeah this will never happen! - just like the largest Insurance Company in the World could never fail.
So you believe Hank "subprime is contained" Paulson this particular time he cried wolf?

Just a fear mongering power grab.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:

- a run on the dollar
- gas shortages
- food shortages

So I guess you are anxiously anticipating the "Color Coded Economy Meltdown Threat Level Alerts."

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So I guess you are anxiously anticipating the "Color Coded Economy Meltdown Threat Level Alerts."

Okay here is what I got stockpiled so far:

3 Kellogg's Fruit Snack
15 Fancy Chocolates
3 Skittles
3 Milky Way Bar
3 Three Musketeers Bar
6 Plain M&Ms
3 Twix Bar
3 Hershey’s Bar
3 Microwave Popcorn
3 Pringles
9 bags of Snyders Pretzels
6 bags of Cheez Its
6 bags of Goldfish
3 Quaker Chewy Granola Bar
3 Nature Valley Granola Bar
3 Nutrigrain Bar
3 Bag of chips
12 DelMonte Fruit cups
9 Swiss Miss No Sugar Hot Chocolate
9 Swiss Miss mini-marshmallow Hot Chocolate

How am I doing? Hope my diabetes don't kick in.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
it seems really ridiculous.. and I understand how this is all going to effect everyone.. but I really do not trust that things will be properly addressed to keep this from happening again. Therefore I really think it is time for america to experience a depression, recession or whatever is the cause of it. That alone will make people wake up to the realities and go after the people responsible for this mess. This bailout as far as I'm concerned just allows those few who made bad decisions to not be known and hide behind a deal from congress.
This whole system is NOT capitalistic.. it is NOT fair.. it is structured to benefit the few and not everyone... and I'm afraid to say it.. but economic collapse just might be the wake up call people in this country need.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:

Okay here is what I got stockpiled so far:

3 Kellogg's Fruit Snack
15 Fancy Chocolates
3 Skittles
3 Milky Way Bar
3 Three Musketeers Bar
6 Plain M&Ms
3 Twix Bar
3 Hershey’s Bar
3 Microwave Popcorn
3 Pringles
9 bags of Snyders Pretzels
6 bags of Cheez Its
6 bags of Goldfish
3 Quaker Chewy Granola Bar
3 Nature Valley Granola Bar
3 Nutrigrain Bar
3 Bag of chips
12 DelMonte Fruit cups
9 Swiss Miss No Sugar Hot Chocolate
9 Swiss Miss mini-marshmallow Hot Chocolate

How am I doing? Hope my diabetes don't kick in.
Funny slonga, I'll give you that..

Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
it seems really ridiculous.. and I understand how this is all going to effect everyone.. but I really do not trust that things will be properly addressed to keep this from happening again. Therefore I really think it is time for america to experience a depression, recession or whatever is the cause of it. That alone will make people wake up to the realities and go after the people responsible for this mess. This bailout as far as I'm concerned just allows those few who made bad decisions to not be known and hide behind a deal from congress.
This whole system is NOT capitalistic.. it is NOT fair.. it is structured to benefit the few and not everyone... and I'm afraid to say it.. but economic collapse just might be the wake up call people in this country need.

If we have a depression the best part is that we'll be able to say to our grandkids:

"Back during the Great Bush Depression we ate grasshoppers"

Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
BTW, I do NOT support the bailout.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
If we have a depression the best part is that we'll be able to say to our grandkids:

"Back during the Great Bush Depression we ate grasshoppers"
I'd rather eat grasshoppers than carry sacks full of money to buy bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies